Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/13/2003 9:40:10 PM EDT
Carbon fiber thingamajig. What's your opinion?
Link Posted: 5/13/2003 9:53:25 PM EDT
[#1]
The Carbon 15.  After Bushmaster puts their magic touches on it, I think I will really like it.  It's very sleek and compact.  A lot of people don't like it but I do.

[url]http://www.bushmaster.com/[/url]
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 3:56:43 AM EDT
[#2]
The problem with the carbon 15 was that is would begin to crack the lower after use.

Apparently the carbon fiber didnt stand up to recoil as well as Professional Ordinance thought it would.
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 4:12:49 AM EDT
[#3]
Now THAT I hadn't heard.  I knew about the bolt issues, but not the lowers cracking.  I wanted one of these pretty bad at one time, too, but the majority of the board members here who had one never had anything but problems w/ theirs.  Great idea, but the use of nonstandard AR internals really never made sense to me.  The AR is such a time tested & proven weapon just the way it is, & it wasn't broke until they decided to fix it.
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 3:02:39 PM EDT
[#4]
I agree 100% with spider. I loved the idea of an ultralight AR15, but the use of nonstandard internals was always enough to keep me from buying one.
I remember when CDNN was blowing the uppers out the door for CHEAP a year or two ago.
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 3:13:54 PM EDT
[#5]
No thanks, I'll stick with battle proven
 Let someone else be the guinea pig
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 4:23:02 PM EDT
[#6]

I bought a Carbon 15 a couple years ago.  I had nothing but problems with it, jamming, and more.  It even began blowing up cases - I don't know why.  I sent it off to the factory twice - nothing seemed to help.  I finally got rid of it and got a Bushy M4-gery, which I love.
Hopefully Bushmaster can make something of the little rifle, as it is one of the best-looking and handling little rifles you ever saw.
I've had 7 or 8 other AR15's since 1969, and love them - have 4 right now.  But that Pro Ordnance rifle was one that totally stumped me.  I also remember that the key would not stay tight on the bolt carrier, no matter what I did to it - a problem with the slickness of stainless steel, I would judge.
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 4:26:58 PM EDT
[#7]
I really think Bushmaster will work out the bugs with the Carbon 15.  I just might be one of the so-called 'guinea pigs' to test it when it hits the market.  I'm an AR15 freak, but I'm always ready to try something new.  [:D]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top