Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/13/2003 2:04:24 AM EDT
I know some are confident about the AWB sunsetting next year, while other of you are more or less paranoid about it's renewel, and furthermore, it's expansion.  I was wondering, if the AWB is extended, and possibly expanded, how far will you let the Gov't go before you decided you wouldn't comply w/ the laws?  In other words, it seems, 99% of us on hear are willing to comply w/ the whole Pre/Post Ban weapons restrictions, and though we bitch and moan about it, we all seem to be keeping our head above water.  However, what about when/if they say we can't own our black rifles anymore?   If the BATF came a knocking and said you had to relinquish your Bushy if you've got one, what would you do?  Would you say "Sorry, Sir, this is a black rifle free household" or Would you be the law abiding citizen and surrender your weapon?  

I'm not sure where I stand on this question either.  I've always prided myself on following both the letter and spirit of the law (save for speeding and such), but I'm not so sure about whether or not I would follow a law that I thought was tearing down the constitution and putting our freedom in jeapordy.  

Let me know what you think!

This is posted in the General Discussion as well.  Follow this link to add to this thread.
www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=186318&page=1
Link Posted: 5/13/2003 6:32:34 AM EDT
[#1]
It seems to me that posting what you would do AGAINST the government isn't a good idea on an open forum.

You think that this medium isn't monitored for militia activity?  First Amendment aside, they watch, they take notes, and they gather information.

FWTW, YMMV.

Alex
Link Posted: 5/13/2003 7:01:09 AM EDT
[#2]
BigJ:

The only ones reporting here, are the folks that are "keeping their heads above water". Those that aren't - and I know there are plenty out there - are generally smart enough not to let everyone know about it. Those that violate federal law and brag about it are idiots.

We all have our limits; what crosses your line might be far more, less or just different than what crosses mine. Everyone's response is going to vary.

Let's just hope the ban dies a quiet death, and the issue becomes moot.

Link Posted: 5/13/2003 8:00:36 AM EDT
[#3]
As above, its not a good idea to publicly admit to a crime or intent to commit a crime.

I seriously doubt that it will be expanded or much less renewed. Politics is starting to swing back right these days and we do have some media (Fox News) that will actually support NOT renewing the ban. I remember the whole frenzy on CNN and NBC etc. when the first ban passed about how "easy" it was to get "assault weapons" and convert them to full auto etc. This time around things will be much different.

If in the far future they ever manage to pass a more comprehensive ban civil disobediance would be the way to go. I very seriously doubt it will ever come to that. More likely in the next 10 years mabey well get a repeal of the machine gun ban ( a guy can hop cant he?).
Link Posted: 5/13/2003 6:12:16 PM EDT
[#4]
If they came knocking I would say that I sold the gun awhile back. And no sir I don't have any idea who received it, It was bought over the net and shipped somewhere in (make up a state)Texas or wherever and I don't have the address anymore. The only thing they could do is search and that would be trampling on another right.
Link Posted: 5/13/2003 7:58:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
If they came knocking I would say that I sold the gun awhile back. And no sir I don't have any idea who received it, It was bought over the net and shipped somewhere in (make up a state)Texas or wherever and I don't have the address anymore. The only thing they could do is search....
View Quote

Wrong. You could/would be prosecuted for obstruction of justice(or some other type). Do not underestimate how many Aces are up the proverbial [law enforcement] sleeve.

ZRH -- gotta love that optimism.
Link Posted: 5/13/2003 8:33:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
If they came knocking I would say that I sold the gun awhile back. And no sir I don't have any idea who received it, It was bought over the net and shipped somewhere in (make up a state)Texas or wherever and I don't have the address anymore. The only thing they could do is search....
View Quote

Wrong. You could/would be prosecuted for obstruction of justice(or some other type). Do not underestimate how many Aces are up the proverbial [law enforcement] sleeve.

ZRH -- gotta love that optimism.
View Quote

I don't think so. At least in TN I can sell my gun to whoever wants it and I'm not obligated to any paperwork. I can even advertise it in the classifieds. If they came I would voluntararily let them search the house cuz there would be no illegal firearms to be found   [:D]

Where's the obstruction of justice?? They would have to prove that I didn't sell the gun. I think that would be near impossible.
Link Posted: 5/13/2003 9:20:48 PM EDT
[#7]
I believe it's a felony to ship guns to an out-of-state resident who doesn't possess an FFL.  Depending on state laws, you and sell to anyone within your state in many cases, such as TN, OK, KS, and others.  But you can't ship to anyone outside of the state unless they have an FFL.  I think the most appropriate response would be, "I sold it at a gunshow" and if they ask, to who, then you can say, gosh, he stood about 5'10", 170 lbs, looked about 40, had brown hair, didn't catch his name".  That wouldn't be illegal, at least, it wouldn't in Kansas.
Link Posted: 5/13/2003 9:36:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Yea, I sold it at the last gun show, downtown.  Nice looking kid, but I don't remember his name.

Really, I don't know what I will do.  Sadly, sunset or no sunset, it's just around the corner too.  Every time some punk shoots another, it's one more nail in the coffin.  Slobering liberals!
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 2:23:55 AM EDT
[#9]
Slobering liberals!
View Quote

For all you good ol boys out there who dont know what this means,  Ill translate it for you.

SLobering liberals = Thats a bunch of tree huggin hippie crap...

I'm going to go down to Wal-Mart & buy one of those bumper sticker kits & make a bunch of bumper stickers that say "SAVE THE FIRE ANTS!"

Hell everybody has a cause these days,  ill make my own.....   [naughty]

Prosise

Link Posted: 5/14/2003 4:03:20 AM EDT
[#10]
Everybody I talk to says they will just tell the cops they lost it, sold it, already turned it in etc.  I have heard that, in Northern Ireland, almost everyone has an old AK buried in the back yard.  Same deal.  Doesn't do much good to have them if no one gets together and uses them.  Are you protecting your freedom if you hide your rifle or bury one in the back yard??  I don't know.   My 2/100 of a dollar.
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 8:23:56 AM EDT
[#11]
Im not sure if this should be allowed in this forum or not. Since there is a duplicate thread running in GD, I will lock this one.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top