Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 5/12/2003 3:34:24 PM EDT
...is on the History Channel tonight at 9:00 p.m. tonight eastern standard time.
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 3:39:50 PM EDT
Yes, I saw that. I will be watching that.
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 3:43:52 PM EDT
Read the book "Black Hawk Down" by Mark Bowden. Much more detail especially about the time and place chosen that the film only hints at. PBS did an excellent Frontline that I think you can buy online.
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 4:00:53 PM EDT
As I understand, this isn't the Hollywood version correct? This is more of a Documentary. I'll be tuning in. Oh, and speaking of Mogadishu. I hope President Bush makes that our next priority! ;-) Then N.Korea.
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 4:08:35 PM EDT
yes this is a documentary. I was lucky enough to tape it the last time it was on. They interview members of the raid, as well as the author of the book Bowden.... i didn't know you could buy the Frontline piece...i'm going to have to check that out... Ken B North Texas
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 4:10:56 PM EDT
The "book on tape" has an interview with the author that is well worth hearing.
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 6:04:01 PM EDT
I've watched it three or four times but I'm watching it again tonight. The 'Hollywood' movie version is also awesome if you haven't seen it already. Ever since 'Saving Private Ryan', a lot of the newer war movies have a more realistic feel to them. At least that's what real vets have told me when asked. I have the book but haven't read it yet.
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 6:07:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/12/2003 6:14:31 PM EDT by Frankie]
I hear ya C-4. I'm watching it as I type this.
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 6:31:56 PM EDT
When I was in basic my D.S. was D.S. Stebbins. He said the book was pretty much right. For those who didnt read the book Grimey was who played Stebbins in the movie. All I can figure out is by changing names they didnt have to pay.
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 7:57:30 PM EDT
I don't think it was a matter of pay for the Ranger's stories. Several of the Rangers were on set as technical advisors. The idea was condensing their stories, 2 or 3 indiviuals into one to fit them into the 2 hour movie. The Delta operator "Hoot" for example was several real operators experiences combined.
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 8:08:36 PM EDT
This History Channel show is well worth watching. I bought a copy of it on DVD. Despite what the media would have you believe, we clearly kicked butt. I don't remember the precise numbers but we lost somewhere around 20-30 people and they lost over a thousand. That doesn't sound like a loss to me although each one of the GIs we lost are sorely missed.
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 9:54:37 PM EDT
Originally Posted By 444: Despite what the media would have you believe, we clearly kicked butt. I don't remember the precise numbers but we lost somewhere around 20-30 people and they lost over a thousand. That doesn't sound like a loss to me although each one of the GIs we lost are sorely missed.
View Quote
I totally agree. No matter what the media portrayed, our soldiers performed very well. They eliminated over a thousand of Aidid's men while losing less than 20 if I'm not mistaking. God knows the soldiers we lost will never be forgotten for their courage and bravery. By the way, the documentary is on again as I type. If you get a chance, watch it gents.
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 11:35:59 PM EDT
FYI Stebbins is(was? not sure of current status) in prison. He molested a kid. He failed to live up to the Ranger Creed. Thats why they changed his name.
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 11:40:02 PM EDT
The upper receiver I just sold once belonged to Sean (I said dont shoot that thing near me) Nelson. It should be obvious that I have read the book, due to my username.
Link Posted: 5/13/2003 3:58:56 AM EDT
Nobody disputes we won the battle. Fact is, we lost the "war" by pulling out with our tail between our legs when the militias put up a serious fight, thus establishing a world-wide belief that if you kill a couple Americans, we'll fold and let you have your way. Thank you White House, circa 1993.
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 2:57:22 AM EDT
RU1096, you're right. John "Stebby" Stebbins raped a 12 year old girl. Combat_Jack, great username! 444, did you buy the dvd through The Histroy Channel's website?
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 4:29:14 AM EDT
Originally Posted By naloxone: Nobody disputes we won the battle. Fact is, we lost the "war" by pulling out with our tail between our legs when the militias put up a serious fight, thus establishing a world-wide belief that if you kill a couple Americans, we'll fold and let you have your way. Thank you White House, circa 1993.
View Quote
Hell, that's why Usama & crew thought we(the USA) were push-overs, and attacked us on 9/11... Bill Clinton has no balls... BIG difference in Commander-In-Chiefs... Today, we carry the big stick, and can weald it too... [sniper2]
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 9:32:43 AM EDT
My son rented it, and was watching it as I walked through the living room. The sound track is really excellent and it drew my interest. The combat scenes are more realistic than "Pvt. Ryan"...the film is very intense. Every time I saw one of our troops take a round, I cursed Bill Clinton for his cowardice, for his bad judgement, and for selecting Les Aspin as SecDef who wanted to do Somalia on the cheap with no armored support. Fortunately, Aspin died soon afterward himself.
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 10:05:00 AM EDT
they shoulda started the movie where they take out that building with all them tow's
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 4:34:28 PM EDT
"444, did you buy the dvd through The Histroy Channel's website?" Yes
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 4:47:52 PM EDT
Purely by luck I ran into one of the Rangers that was there and spent probably an hour talking with him. He was hit five times with three of the wounds from AK rounds stitched across his stomach - guy pulled up his shirt and showedem to me. He told me the info in the book is essentially correct EXCEPTING how they were eventually rescued.
Top Top