Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/12/2003 2:24:51 PM EDT
ok, so i got a new bushmaster carbine, with the (Y) comp and the pinned stock... total barrel length is 16 inches with chrome lined barrel.... i love the thing.... but now i want a long range shooter... one that will shoot the sellier and bellot ss109 ammo... olympic pretty much has me sold on their products and i am curios about the PCR1 and PCR8... the PCR1 is advertised as swat magazine calling it the most accurate semi auto offered.... HOWEVER it has a 1in10 barrel twist??? i forget if the S&B ss109 is 62 or 64 grain... but will 1in10 handle it???? they offer the PCR8 in 1/8 or 1/9 barrel twist.....????? which should i get if i will mainly be shooting S&B ss109... and please!!! i already know the difference between .223 and nato ammo.... i am just wondering if 1in10 twist really works for this ammo...or if maybe swat was using really light bullets when they did their test.... any opinions or knowledge would be helpful ... (brainstorming) on which to get...thanks//////
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 2:30:09 PM EDT
[#1]
You can shoot 62gr bullets from a 1 in 10" barrel, but given the choice, I'd opt for the 1 in 8" setup. It will stabilize the 62gr (and heavier) bullets and yet will shoot 55grainers just fine. Is that the only difference between the rifles?
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 2:33:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Who's SWAT team?? I'd look at RRA they make a nice CMP match rifle that is accurate as hell.  1 in 10 sounds completely wrong for heavy bullets, maybe this SWAT team was hunting prairie dogs.

Many folks in magazines say amything to sell copy and get advertizing.  Many writers get free or deeply discounted guns for saying they are great.  I'd take anything in print, especially something that said OLY made a decent gun, with a grain of salt.
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 3:06:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Who's SWAT team?? I'd look at RRA they make a nice CMP match rifle that is accurate as hell.  1 in 10 sounds completely wrong for heavy bullets, maybe this SWAT team was hunting prairie dogs.

Many folks in magazines say amything to sell copy and get advertizing.  Many writers get free or deeply discounted guns for saying they are great.  I'd take anything in print, especially something that said OLY made a decent gun, with a grain of salt.
View Quote

Lonegunman,
You don't know your barrels. The Olympic Arms Ultramatch barreled guns are abso-fucking-lutely the most accurate factory made ARs out there. Even most Bushmaster and Colt guys will admit that. Olys in general are more accurate than the other brands of ARs. This has been proven time and time again.

Hutch,
The Oly would be an excellant choice for your intended purpose. Their Ultramatch guns are shockingly accurate and they build very fine rifles with a lifetime warranty. You will not be disappointed.
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 4:13:37 PM EDT
[#4]
yes i think you are right.... but it leads one to think only the 1/10 twist is the "ULTRAMATCH" while the other offerings which are 1/8 or 1/9 are not offered as "ULTRAMATCH" .... if you go to the website the ULTRAMATCH is 1/10 twist...and does not offer in different barrel config's.... to get a 1/9 or 1/8 twist barrel...you have to stray from the ultramatch....personally i would like a ULTRAMATCH in 1/8.5 twist.... heeehaaaa..... but do you get my point????? the ultramatch has a finer tuned trigger than the other rifles that look the same with different barrel twist rates.... maybe i will try to call and see if i can get a true "ultramatch" with a quicker twist rate.... however my MAIN question was whether they were onto something with their 1/10 barrel...and if for some reason they are accuate with the 60PLUS grain bullets.... IF i find they are i will go for it...appreciate the help...
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 4:36:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Hutch I am in the process of getting a 1/8 twist SUM (Stainless Ultra Match) barrel from Olympic.  Cavalry Arms is building the upper  for me.  The 1/8 twist Ultramatch IS available but it is special order from OLY.  My 1/10 twist SUM barrel that I have on it know has shot .6" !!!!FIVE SHOT GROUPS!!!! with Federal Lake City M193 ball ammo ($3.15 a box/20) and .4" with federal premium 62 gr. at 100 yards.  Will let you know how the 1/8 shoots when I get it.  Hope this helps.

D.
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 4:47:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Hey, how much do you want to bet Glockfan will get on here saying "Olympic sucks"?
END

[kill]
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 9:03:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Hey, how much do you want to bet Glockfan will get on here saying "Olympic sucks"?
END

[kill]
View Quote

Several hours and no takers? What a shock.[;)]

P.S. Lonegunman is Glockfan jr. when it comes to bashing Oly.
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 10:17:40 PM EDT
[#8]

The ultramatch barrels by Olympic Arms are some of the most accurate for a VERY good price.

Here is some information about barrels and twist rates.

[url]http://www.triplebreakproducts.com/FAQ/twist_rate_for_barrel.htm[/url]
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 10:24:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Let me put it to you this way...
An ultramatch barrel with shoot better than any of us could ever hope to.

Buy the thing man, OLY ROCKS.

This coming from a man with Colts, Bushies, and RRA.. no oly's.  BUT I WANT ONE!
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 5:38:41 AM EDT
[#10]
I have an Olympic SUM in the 1-10 twist. Oly says it will stabilize anything up to 62gr, but I have also seen heavier bullets used, up to around 69gr, without much problem. In regards to the accuracy of the rifle, remember that Oly is the only manufacturer to offer a broach cut SS barrel. In short, these things will shoot. I have shot a best group of .785" at 200yds off bipod and elbows. From the bench it will shoot under .5 MOA all day long. Good handloads will do better. My only modification was to add a JP Enterprises fire control pkg, it makes for a great trigger. There is no doubt in my mind this rifle will shoot with any AR out there (with the exception of the mega-buck space guns)and better than most bolt rifles. The Max-Hard barrel treatment is great, the barrel is so smooth I can clean with two passes. My next AR will be Oly also.
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 6:00:54 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
END

[kill]
View Quote

Several hours and no takers? What a shock.[;)]

View Quote

No one in their right mind would take you up on that bet [;)]
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 7:15:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Lonegunman,
You don't know your barrels. The Olympic Arms Ultramatch barreled guns are abso-fucking-lutely the most accurate factory made ARs out there. Even most Bushmaster and Colt guys will admit that. Olys in general are more accurate than the other brands of ARs. This has been proven time and time again.
END

Laughing my but off. My UltraTRASH came with barrel that was out of spec and buldging brass. Accuracy yea 1.25 moa is awsome from a 1200 rifle NOT.

Olys in general are the worst AR15's made.
PAT
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 7:48:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Ahhhhhhh.  Look who rears the ugly head.  LOL.  That took longer than I thought.

D.
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 9:54:09 PM EDT
[#14]
I have an Olympic AR that I had built into a Varmint rifle. I did not go with the SUM barrel but went with a 24" SS 1/9 button cut barrel instead. I have shot sub .4 MOA at 100 yards with 62gr Swiss ammo with three shots in a  group. I had two of the rounds actually Siamesed. Great shooter! I have yet to take it out and try a longer range. But I am ultimately wanting to shoot out to 500-600 yards with this rifle. And by the way their customer service is unmatched by anyone. I would definitely purchase another Olympic AR. [8D]
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 11:33:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Several hours and no takers? What a shock.

END

Ok fair enough. If there is one person here that could not hate a company that took 14 months to fix several issues on warranty and then lie to you ever time you call about the return date, I will shut up.

PAT
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 7:18:02 AM EDT
[#16]
Good Lord! Does anyone think that Glockfan is bitter, or is it just me?? Again, sorry you had a bad experience with Oly, but that does not make all Oly products crappy, and all people who deal with Oly idiots. Try them again, perhaps you'll have better results.

I have been dealing Oly parts for 10 years or more. I have had bad experiences, yes. Oly has settled them all professionally. On the other hand, I have had bad experiences with Armalite, DPMS, RR, and even the expensive guys like Wilson and Les Baer.

Reference to this thread: Oly makes an EXCELLENT barrel, and in my humble opinion, the best, most accurate AR barrel out there, custom or otherwise.

Also: Ultramatch barrels (marked SUM) come standard in 1x10, but are also available in a 1x8, and 1x14 twist as well. All you have to do is specify the twist when you order. !x8 or 1x10 is the same price on the PCR-1. The 1x14 would cost additional money.

On the other hand, the PCR-8 is a button rifled (still excellently accurate, but NOT an SUM barrel) in 1x9. It is also available in 1x8.

Oly makes their own barrels in house from 416 SS bare stock and has more options that any other manufacturer out there.
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 10:27:15 AM EDT
[#17]
I just posted this in another thread but will post it again for this one .

I have a Bushmaster A3 with an Olympic Stainless Ultra Match barrel with the 1:10 twist and it will shoot everything from 40 grains to 69 grains accurately . My most accurate load to date is using 69 grain Noslers and TAC powder . I keep hearing that the Olys narrow your bullet selection , but my experience shows that only the 77 and 80 grain bullets wont work with the 1:10 twist . By the way my tightest group is .228 inches using the tool box in the back of my truck and a bag of fertilizer as a rest .

This is a fact . Not conjecture or what I heard or what someone told me . I have the rifle and the target to prove it . This does not necesarrily mean you will get the same results but I believe it was the best 186 dollars I ever spent on a gun . It will outshoot my Savage 10fp with a more powerful scope and a way better trigger any day of the week .
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 9:50:56 PM EDT
[#18]
My Ultramatch has the 1x8 twist, and JP trigger and "speed hammer", Leupold VariX III 6.5-20x40.  With Black Hills 69 gr Sierra HPBT MatchKings, it will do 3/8" at 100 yds.  I watched my son, who is a better shooter than me, shoot 1.25" at 100 yds with 30 rnds (of S&B SS109!!!) in just under one minute, and it was a windy day.

Link Posted: 5/26/2003 6:30:47 AM EDT
[#19]
"Olympic Sucks"

(I didn't want to dissappoint PARA-BUSH15)
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 9:19:06 AM EDT
[#20]
I have two preban Olys, both with stainless heavy Oly barrels and they're extrememly accurate rifles.

7th
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top