Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 5/11/2003 6:31:02 PM EDT
Hey,

Hoping someone can direct me towards a good gun magazine that deals with AR 15 topics and supplies.

Thanks

Nightvision
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 6:42:12 PM EDT
There is only one decent magazine left. Small Arms Review
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 6:50:04 PM EDT
"Guns and weapons for law enfarocement" is pretty decent. Since many agencies are going to AR's as trunk weapons theres always new eqiupment reviews as well as industry L.E. only weapons stories. I get it at Wally world.
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 6:26:29 AM EDT
Soldier of Fortune is pretty good, less AR stuff than GW/LE. GW/LE has lots more AR articles than SAR. I subscribe to all of the above.
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 8:17:23 AM EDT
There is only one I read now: S.W.A.T. (www.swatmag.com). I've tried the other GW/LE and such and there is too much BS. SWAT has a bit - but there are plenty of really good writers who do know their stuff (i.e. because they did it for years). Guys like Jeff Gonzalas and Pat Rogers. Lots of AR-15 coverage. I've heard lots of good things about Small Arms Review but its not available locally so I can't comment from personal experience.
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 8:19:28 AM EDT
Guns and weapons for law enforcement is the only one I can read cover to cover. But NEVER rely on a gun magazine's review of a firearm. Most are on the take, in one form or another.
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 8:27:41 AM EDT
GW/LE is about he only mag that covers ARs. But I would trust the people here more for market advice than a gun magazine.
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 8:34:42 AM EDT
Special Weapons
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 8:50:09 AM EDT
Both SWAT & GLE contain too much misinformation for my taste. Too many of these 'gun-writer' types dispensing either biased reports or just plain wrong on their 'facts'. The old Tactical Shooter once had good AR articles, written by people who BTDT! You'll find a lot of good AR stuff in Precision Shooting (a TS sister pub.), but only for High Power and Target applications AFAIK. Hint - you won't find it at news stands.
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 8:56:36 AM EDT
****HUSTLER**** Not a lot or AR15's in there but there are a lot of BIG Guns !!!! [:D]
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 9:00:07 AM EDT
'nother vote for SAR. Title says it all. If it's a small arm (or slightly bigger), they'll cover it. Check out their past articles and samples at [url]smallarmsreview.com[/url] Their Senior Editor, Peter Kokalis, was a regular contributor to SOF. Their reviews are more detailed and useful than the typical gunrag, though tend to be just as positive and cheery. They do lots of historical and collectors articles on real interesting pieces, too.
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 9:05:10 AM EDT
I agree with the Small Arms Review. I subscribed back in the days when it was Machinegun News... I wonder what I did with those issues? Alex
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 10:33:23 AM EDT
Originally Posted By McBoingBoing616: The old Tactical Shooter once had good AR articles, written by people who BTDT!
View Quote
You'll find some of them are now having articles published by SWAT. Over the last year(+) there has been a big improvment in that magazines which is why I started reading it again. I don't buy any issue untill I know there are articles of interest - and they were written by people who've made a name for themselves as a BTDT type.
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 6:00:14 PM EDT
Thanks to all for the advice and the heads up on the good mags. This is about the best forum page I have ever seen. NV
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 6:17:18 PM EDT
Count another vote for Small Arms Review.
Top Top