Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/11/2003 7:03:53 AM EDT
    Mr. President,

I have been meaning to relay to you my praise and support regarding your handling of the Middle East situation. Your unrelenting resolve to do what is right in Iraq renewed my faith in the office (indelibly besmirched by your predecessor, Mr. Clinton). As a fellow supporter and an active voter, I was proud that I contributed in some small way to see that you, the logical and appropriate choice, joined your father as Commander-In-Chief to our great nation.
    It is with great sadness Mr. President, that I must digress to the matter that compelled me to write you. I have recently learned of your decision to reinstate the "Assault Weapons Ban" in 2004 should make its way from the legislature to your desk. I was absolutely stunned to hear the distressing news that a man in my estimation of greatness; a leader, a Republican, and a proud Texan would ever be on the other side of this bill. I will spare you the findings and statistics, which clearly indicate that this is "feel good legislation" with no practical or benevolent purpose for the (law-abiding) American people. Instead, I must inform you of how disappointed I am in you Mr. President that you would dare subscribe to such an unconstitutional abomination such as this.
    As a recent survivor of an armed robbery attempt, I know firsthand of the sanctity of the Second Amendment. Without the benefit the legally carried sidearm that I used to defend myself, I might not be here today writing you about this vital matter. The Assault Weapons Ban is one (unconstitutional) battle in which anti-gun lobbyists wage in the name of the disarmament of the American people. This does not extend to criminals, which the "antis" claim to wage this war upon, (as they can and will acquire what they want by illegal means). Instead, this is a thinly veiled attempt to strip all citizens of the right to firearm ownership. The ban of 1986, 1994, and 2004 will not appease these individuals. They will stop at nothing as evidenced by their politics, until only armed units in America are the police and the criminals (and the latter far outnumbers the former).
    While I hold your administration in high esteem Mr. President, I hold our beloved Second Amendment above all else. As such, I will continue to do that which you have sadly declined: defend our constitutional right. While I would not vote against you in the upcoming 2004 election, I feel that I cannot in good conscience support you. I wish you the best of success in implementing the "right" decisions throughout your administration, and I hope that this letter may impress upon you and others the significance of our constitutional rights and the lengths in which some of us are willing to go to preserve them.

Sincerely,

(My Name)

I hope you all join me in the preservation of our rights. Let's not forget local legislature either.
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 7:36:18 AM EDT
[#1]
He has no political choice if he wants to be re-elected.  Most of the American people are too stupid to see the AWB for what it really is.  That's the sad truth.  The vast majority of Americans are not worthy of the freedom they enjoy.  What a shitty reality that is.
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 7:46:25 AM EDT
[#2]
PULP -- Great letter, but unfortunately I doubt he will ever see it.  Imagine the scores of letters he is receiving now with Iraqi Freedom having wound down.  Perhaps some intern or "staff member" will glance at it or even read it, but to imagine the president reading it is not likely.  Try sending it to the NRA and asking them to forward it to him.  Or at least maybe they will even print it in their magazines and then more people will see it and the effect might be stronger!  Good luck.
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 8:11:03 AM EDT
[#3]
Excellent letter.
Of course the president will never read it. Some lackey will. However, the gist of what we are saying will get to him and a well thought out letter is far more productive.
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 3:32:14 PM EDT
[#4]
AK: everyone here is intelligent enough to understand that he most likely did this as a feel good measure to appease his critics and that the likelyhood that it would reach his desk is NIL. The oversight on his part is that the anti lobby will use this as an endorsement for their cause which may sway many in the silent majority, especially with the recent criminal activity i.e. Case Western in OH.

Frankie & Jarhead: Thanks & you are probably right. Nonetheless, I felt I had to do it no matter how slim the chance was that he would read the letter. (Good suggestion about the NRA, maybe I'll try that).
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 4:20:27 PM EDT
[#5]
You bet. I've sent a few to him myself.
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 1:28:42 AM EDT
[#6]
Well I've guaranteed myself a letter grade drop on one of my finals but I have opted tonight to use the inertia to carry our cause instead of studying. I have just contacted my district representative (R) and two state senators (D) about my stance on the AWB sunset. I informed them among other things that I was willing to forsake Bush [a president that I admire(d)] over this issue and that I will vote for (or against) these people regardless of political affiliation, depending on how they vote on the reinstatement.  I feel much better and urge those of you who haven't got off your asses to do so NOW!!! Next time somebody asks: "what did you do for our cause?" I'll proudly tell them "I got a B in History!"
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 5:12:42 AM EDT
[#7]
Good letter. Save it on your computer - and re-fax it every month.

I've been sending similar letters to:
President Bush
Marc Racicot (RNC Chairman)
Tom Daschle

And my two Senators Max Baucus & Conrad Burns

If everybody on this forum sent their congressman a letter like that every month, it'd be too many to ignore.

Their fax numbers are on their websites.

Let's protect our AR's! Beat the ban!
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top