Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/10/2003 7:51:44 PM EDT
What is preban Ar M4 configuration worth?  It is built with a 15 year old Essential Arms lower and a 2 year old DPMS upper.  The upper has about 300 rounds though it.  It has a free float tube with built in weaver rails, bayonet lug, fore grip, detachable rear A2 sight, and telescoping stock.

Any ideas what a good price for this AR would be??

Thanks a lot!
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 9:58:39 PM EDT
[#1]
$12-1300 would be a ballpark guess, but it may be less.

I picked up a NIB Olympic Arms CAR15 last year (preban) for $750, I also bought a Colt M4 (preban) for $1500.  The Colt had 100 rounds through it max.
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 4:00:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Any information on Essential Arms I don't know much about them.  I know that DPMS makes good stuff.
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 6:44:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Personally I think the rifle would sell for less. Somewhere hovering right around or just above $1000. The only thing that might jack the price up a little is if it used one of the DPMS's special run of 1/7 twist, 4150 steel, chrome lined M4 barrels. If it doesnt use one of those special run barrels, it will be 4140 steel without chrome lining, which isnt a bad barrel in itself, but the better quality steel and chrome lining are much more desirable.
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 1:27:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Nothing you have said indicates that it is a pre-ban weapon. Just because the lower was made before the ban does not make it a pre-ban weapon. It had to have been assembled into a pre-ban configuration before the ban in order to be a pre-ban. What you may have is a federal criminal weapons violation.
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 1:34:15 PM EDT
[#5]
it's a preban lower.  EA went bankrupt well before the ban.  the lower itself is worth around $7-900.  if you want a different upper than just buy the rifle and sell the parts to get a new upper for the lower.
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 2:04:30 PM EDT
[#6]
The fact that the lower is Essential Arms makes it a preban weapon doesn't it??
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 2:05:42 PM EDT
[#7]
There is no mention in the text of the ban about the date of a company going out of business affecting the pre-post ban status of a weapon.
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 2:23:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Essential arms went out of business before the ban - so if his lower was a complete rifle THEN
AND someone bought it like that AND he
bought it complete AND just put a new upper
on it -- he is good to go.

sure get ridiculous - huh? [rolleyes]
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 2:37:41 PM EDT
[#9]
If...if...if.

The ban is not subjective. It had to have been assembled into a pre-ban configuration before the ban.

Example:

20 year old rifle originally made with a fixed stock, crowned barrel, and no bayo lug. Then five years ago someone slaps a threaded 16" upper on it with a bayonet lug and a flash suppressor.

It's a post-ban assault rifle in violation of the ban.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top