Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 5/10/2003 7:51:44 PM EDT
What is preban Ar M4 configuration worth? It is built with a 15 year old Essential Arms lower and a 2 year old DPMS upper. The upper has about 300 rounds though it. It has a free float tube with built in weaver rails, bayonet lug, fore grip, detachable rear A2 sight, and telescoping stock.

Any ideas what a good price for this AR would be??

Thanks a lot!
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 9:58:39 PM EDT
$12-1300 would be a ballpark guess, but it may be less. I picked up a NIB Olympic Arms CAR15 last year (preban) for $750, I also bought a Colt M4 (preban) for $1500. The Colt had 100 rounds through it max.
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 4:00:50 AM EDT
Any information on Essential Arms I don't know much about them. I know that DPMS makes good stuff.
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 6:44:16 AM EDT
Personally I think the rifle would sell for less. Somewhere hovering right around or just above $1000. The only thing that might jack the price up a little is if it used one of the DPMS's special run of 1/7 twist, 4150 steel, chrome lined M4 barrels. If it doesnt use one of those special run barrels, it will be 4140 steel without chrome lining, which isnt a bad barrel in itself, but the better quality steel and chrome lining are much more desirable.
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 1:27:47 PM EDT
Nothing you have said indicates that it is a pre-ban weapon. Just because the lower was made before the ban does not make it a pre-ban weapon. It had to have been assembled into a pre-ban configuration before the ban in order to be a pre-ban. What you may have is a federal criminal weapons violation.
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 1:34:15 PM EDT
it's a preban lower. EA went bankrupt well before the ban. the lower itself is worth around $7-900. if you want a different upper than just buy the rifle and sell the parts to get a new upper for the lower.
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 2:04:30 PM EDT
The fact that the lower is Essential Arms makes it a preban weapon doesn't it??
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 2:05:42 PM EDT
There is no mention in the text of the ban about the date of a company going out of business affecting the pre-post ban status of a weapon.
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 2:23:05 PM EDT
Essential arms went out of business before the ban - so if his lower was a complete rifle THEN AND someone bought it like that AND he bought it complete AND just put a new upper on it -- he is good to go. sure get ridiculous - huh? [rolleyes]
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 2:37:41 PM EDT
If...if...if. The ban is not subjective. It had to have been assembled into a pre-ban configuration before the ban. Example: 20 year old rifle originally made with a fixed stock, crowned barrel, and no bayo lug. Then five years ago someone slaps a threaded 16" upper on it with a bayonet lug and a flash suppressor. It's a post-ban assault rifle in violation of the ban.
Top Top