Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/7/2003 11:32:25 AM EDT
Well, I think I have read just about every useful post on AR15.com.  Before I get started I’d first like to thank all the moderators for their great work.  I can imagine that if it were not for them this forum would be nowhere as useful as it has been for me.  However, I do think that as payment for their hard work they made up that Titanium T chick.

Now moving on to my questions.  I have located a "mint" condition Pre-Ban Colt A2 20" HBAR 1:7 (I believe).  It has been shot but reportedly not more than a few hundred rounds. I want to use the rifle as a varmint rig and range gun not as a home defense rig; I've got that covered.

I read the trouble shooting section and saw a very detailed step-by-step- process of checking an AR.  I am certain that at this time I do not have the experience to do this to someone else's gun.  So, what should I visually check before I buy?

If I buy it, BTW I live in Texas, is there any registration I should or need to make because it is pre-ban?  I recall some posts mentioning something about a state form?  And given the upcoming sunset of the AWB am I foolish to “invest” in a pre-ban Colt?

I understand the concept of co-witnessing the BIS through an optic.  Question is can you co-witness through something like a 3x or 4x ACOG? Or, do you try to use the IS beneath it?  My vision is not good enough that I trust shooting at small animals at 100 yds. without at least a few times magnification.

On an A2 am I correct in thinking the carry handle is not removable?  If so, can an ACOG be mounted on a swan mount in front of the carry handle, or will it be too far from my eye to see?  If this is a stupid question keep in mind I have never seen an ACOG in person.

Is mounting an ACOG on the carry handle really that bad?  Do I need to buy a compact ACOG if I mount on the carry handle?  Since I just thought of this, why is a Trijicon Tri power so much cheaper than the dedicated fiber-optic sights?  Does the Tri Power do away with the fallbacks of this type of ACOG (e.g. looking into the sun, orange street lamps at night, bright reflection off of water)?

Is there anything else I should know before buying this rifle?

Thanks in advance for your responses.  I really have enjoyed this forum and look forward to contributing to it once I have my own AR.  Until then I guess I will just have to keep reading…

Link Posted: 5/7/2003 12:01:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
If I buy it, BTW I live in Texas, is there any registration I should or need to make because it is pre-ban?
View Quote

No, TX doesn't have the BS other states do

And given the upcoming sunset of the AWB am I foolish to “invest” in a pre-ban Colt?
View Quote

Matter of personal opinion.  I do however question you buying a preban if all you want to do is hunt varmints.  The Post-bans will do that just as well, for a lower cost, and will probably be more accurate.  Varmint rigs don't need flash supressors or telestocks.

Question is can you co-witness through something like a 3x or 4x ACOG?
View Quote

No, you can't co-witness through a magnified optic.

Or, do you try to use the IS beneath it?
View Quote

With a flattop I remove the optic with the quick-release knobs, then flip up my rear sight.

For a carryhandle mounted optics (like the Compact ACOG) I lower my head a bit and use the irons in on the carry handle.

On an A2 am I correct in thinking the carry handle is not removable?
View Quote

If so, can an ACOG be mounted on a swan mount in front of the carry handle
View Quote

No it will be too far away.

Is mounting an ACOG on the carry handle really that bad?
View Quote

I like with the Compact ACOG - I think the full size ACOGs make the rifle too top heavy and sit a bit higher.

Do I need to buy a compact ACOG if I mount on the carry handle?
View Quote

I keep wondering why all the interest in ACOGs?  If the rifle is for Varmints there are much better optics than the ACOGS.  The ACOGs are designed as combat scopes and don't have the magnification most varmint hunters seem to want.

Since I just thought of this, why is a Trijicon Tri power so much cheaper than the dedicated fiber-optic sights?
View Quote

?? You've seen a Frim price on a Tripower?  Heck you've seen Tri-Powers for sale??

Last time I saw a price floating around it was for more than the cost of the Tritium/Fiber optic powered Reflex.

Does the Tri Power do away with the fallbacks of this type of ACOG (e.g. looking into the sun, orange street lamps at night, bright reflection off of water)?
View Quote

Which ACOG?  One of the Scopes, the Compact ACOG, or the Reflex?  Trijicon's entire line of 'combat optics' are called ACOGs; around here when you say ACOG it means the full size scopes like the NSN or TA31 models.  the name 'Reflex' refers to their dot-optic.
BTW the Tripower will solve all of the Reflex's issues - when they finally finish development and get it into production.

Is there anything else I should know before buying this rifle?
View Quote

If you're really looking for a varmint rig then look for a post ban flattop with a 20" to 24" barrel.  Generally you'll find they are cheaper and more accurate than the pre-bans.

Now if you're getting this rifle in the sub $1000 range then I'd say go for it.

If you like the illuminated reticle of the ACOG line then check out the scopes made by IOR.  They have some illuminated reticle scopes that are less expensive, built like a tank, and you can get a 4x, 6x, or even a variable.  The latter two should do ok for a varmint gun.
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 12:13:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the reply.  Let me explain that the varmint use will be very limited.  I have a .308 rig set up to really reach out when I want to.  I would be using this rifle 100 yds. or less I would say.

The reason I want a Pre-ban is to be able to have the flexibility to put the collapsible stock on it.  In part also as an investment; you never know what the next iteration of AWB might be either.

What do you think the market price is for a Colt A2 Pre Ban like this?  Surely would fetch more than $1000?
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 12:33:48 PM EDT
[#3]
IMHO, it is foolish to buy a normal preban now. If it is a COLT that is marked AR-15, then it's value will always be high. They will probably NEVER make them again. (AR-15 is banned by name, not by year!)

I'd buy an "AR-15" if I had the dough. Other prebans are getting a new name on 14 Sept 2004. It is called "Old, used, AR"
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 12:38:56 PM EDT
[#4]
It is a Colt and it is marked AR-15.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top