Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/7/2003 8:26:34 AM EDT
I am just curious to know about how many rounds do people shoot before they start replacing parts in the lower and upper receiver of their AR's?  

Do you just wait until failures happen?  

Do some parts have a certain life expectancy?
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 9:42:09 AM EDT
[#1]
About the only parts you can expect to wear out are the gas rings on the bolt, and extractor springs. I personally keep a spare set of wach, and a spare extractor and firing pin for each of my ARs.  In an AR made, and inspected as, the specs for Govt issued M16s, nothing else should ever go bad thru normal use.

That being said, if you scroll back on the site, you'll read tales of bolts breaking, hammers, triggers and disconnectors going bad, and other horror stories. I am convinced that most of these failures are the result of substandard parts being put into the gun in the first place.

Don't get me wrong; the major aftermarket makers all use first class materials and manufacturing processes. What they don't do though is put their products thru the rigid final inspection process that Colt, and other government conractors use. That means that the occasional substandard part that comes off the line gets installed, shipped, and the customer has to find and fix it.

Recent personal examples:  A mag release from Rock River that was cracked at the rivet, and broke after a month. A totally out of spec bolt release from DPMS that tilted so much in the off postion that it put a nick in the upper. Lower reciever pin holes in a Bushmaster lower that were rounded off enough at the edges to be visible from 5 feet away. I won't even try to guess how many people have bought Bushies that needed to have the barrels retorqued to eliminate excessive sight adjustments to the left.

It's aggravating to have to pay good money, and then get a product that you have to "fix" before you ever fire it; but it's either that or send it back to the factory and wait [;D]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top