Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/7/2003 4:08:49 AM EDT
Have an ar flat top 16". Just slod my armalite high sitting mount. Should I get another higher mount or just rings on the flat rail of rifle. Which is better for accuracy? Which rings will hold. It is an armalite m15a4 Thanks
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 4:29:30 AM EDT
[#1]
Lower is generally better, with 2.6" being the 'norm' for AR-15s.
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 5:23:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
View Quote

Is that from the top of the upper, to inside bottom or center of the ring?
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 5:28:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Is that from the top of the upper, to inside bottom or center of the ring?
View Quote

Center of bore to center of rings.
Edited to say: Depends alot on the objective size of your scope.
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 7:51:39 AM EDT
[#4]
Generally speaking that puts the centerline of the scope ring from 1.4" to 1.5" above the standard flattop. That is a comfortable height for most folks to obtain a comfortable cheek-weld with the rifle buttstock.

The old lower to the bore the better adage originated with the traditionally stocked rifles, which were originally designed with the use of iron sights in mind. Of course a scope could never be mounted as low as the irons, hence the advent of the Monte Carlo buttstock.

The only advantage that exists for the very low mounting of a scope sight to an AR-type rifle is that the bullet will travel closer to the line of sight (but, of course, not shoot any flatter).
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 8:16:56 AM EDT
[#5]
Further, the main place that there would be a difference between a close to bore sight vs higher mounting would be at close ranges, under 50 yards.  And at those closer ranges, the MOST it can be off is the centerline of bore to centerline of sight distance.  There is no practical advantage to the old saw "I like to get a scope mounted just as low to the bore as possible".  

Not that the cheek weld is higher from the bore line on an AR than a conventionally stocked bolt action due to the inline design of the AR.  I like to mount the scopes on flattops so that the center of the scope is approximately the same as where the sight line is with A2 carry handle sights would be.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top