Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 5/6/2003 6:38:26 AM EDT
I took my nearly new Oly down to learn how to field strip and maintain. It has less than 100 rounds through it and for the life of me I cannot press out the front take down pin. Granted I feel I can clean it fine with the upper and lower still attached at the front, but it would be easier to separate them IMO. Will it loosen up if I just shoot the hell out of it on Sat, or will I need some other way to take it loose?
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 8:34:00 AM EDT
Lightly tap on the pin with a punch. The pivot pin SHOULD come out of the detent and move easily. Either the holes are off a little from the upper to lower, One of the holes is undersized/ pin oversized or the detent hole in the pin is too deep. Any of these is possible with an [puke] Oly. It might fix it's self once you take it apart a few times and break it in alittle..
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 5:34:02 AM EDT
BTT
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 9:54:20 AM EDT
Most of the aftermarket pieces are stiff in that area. They seem to need to have the finish rubbed off a bit before that pin will move freely. I usually just put some oil around the joint lines, let it soak in for a few, then use a plastic punch I keep around to bang it out. After you do that a few times, it gets easier[:D]
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 9:58:18 AM EDT
Use a plastic punch. If you push the pin open and closed enough it will get loose and easier to do.
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 10:26:34 AM EDT
I agree with shamayim, a little oil usually helps as the anodizing will absorb this and aid lubricity. I prefer them tight rather than loose.
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 11:31:34 AM EDT
the more you clean, the looser they become.
Top Top