Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/5/2003 8:04:29 PM EDT
Recently heard at my Colt Armor's course that HK is working on a G36 upper reciever that is supposed to be a drop in unit on a AR15 M16 lower reciever. Sounds interesting.
PAT
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 8:14:56 PM EDT
[#1]
I heard it looks like an M4 upper, but has the G36 gas system.
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 8:16:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 8:23:04 PM EDT
[#3]
The current PMOD from CRANE is looking for replacement uppers with an "improved gas system". I have also heard that H&K is working on a G36 based upper replacement, this could be a home run?

As for the optics mounting, I doubt that would be a problem, the PMOD states that the new receiver must be capable of mounting all current SOPMOD goodies and no modifications can be made to the lower receiver.

Interesting to see what comes of it...
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 8:29:27 PM EDT
[#4]
hmmm... I'm intrigued!
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 8:51:26 PM EDT
[#5]
GIMMEE!
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 10:05:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
The current PMOD from CRANE is looking for replacement uppers with an "improved gas system". I have also heard that H&K is working on a G36 based upper replacement, this could be a home run?

As for the optics mounting, I doubt that would be a problem, the PMOD states that the new receiver must be capable of mounting all current SOPMOD goodies and no modifications can be made to the lower receiver.

Interesting to see what comes of it...
View Quote

Are they trying to fix a non exstent problem?  What is wrong with the current gas system that needs replacing?  A rifle doesnt stay with the military over 30 years for being a POS.  Im just curious at what these "think tanks" are forseeing.
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 10:18:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Will it look like a G36 upper?
How much will it cost?
When will it be available for sale?
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 2:07:41 AM EDT
[#8]
As much as I like the AR15 it does have a few major problems. Most deal with reliability in harsh climates. A G36 is as reliable as an AK. That would be a nice mix. All the AR's ergonomics with the G36's reliability.
PAT
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 8:13:29 AM EDT
[#9]
The AR's direct gas system blows a lot of crud into the action of the weapon, hindering reliablity and fouling the weapon faster than it ordinarily would.

Delayed gas systems work better all around. Even Stoner knew this and incorporated this system in later weapons he designed...
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 8:55:04 AM EDT
[#10]
Rhino did this 20 years ago or so.  It's pretty simple really.  Replace/modify the front sight housing for a gas valve/chamber.  The little gas tube is replaced with a larger tube incorporating a piston and return spring.  The hole in the upper for the gas tube is expanded to allow the rod to pass through.  Replace the carrier key with a slightly different one for the piston.  Get rid of the 3 rings on the bolt.  You're done.  On the Rhino system, there were three settings on the gas port so you could increase the amount of the gas for fouling.  When you don't exhaust the gases into the receiver, it stays cleaner and cooler.

I doubt we would go to a polymer upper.  While you could do it safety wise, i.e., add some steel tracks for the bolt carrier to ride on, I don't think it would be stiff enough to maintain accuracy with optics.  For the newbys unfamiliar with the system, unlike a FAL or M14 where the bolt locks to the receiver, the AR bolt locks to an barrel extension.  The receiver holds things together, but doesn't have to contain the stresses of firing.  That's why you can get away with aluminum or even polymer.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top