Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/3/2003 5:16:31 PM EDT
Does anyone know what ammo or kind of ammo (FMJ, SP, HP, etc.) the beltway snipers used.

Has anyone heard of "Sharp Fire" (possibly reloaded ammunition)?
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 5:25:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Who Knows?
What model Bushmaster were these Morons Using?
[:D]
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 5:38:15 PM EDT
[#2]
XM15 E2S M4
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 6:13:58 PM EDT
[#3]
I just want to know how sure the "authorities" were that the weapon used was an AR15, even before they had recovered enough of the bullets to do ballistics testing.
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 10:43:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I just want to know how sure the "authorities" were that the weapon used was an AR15, even before they had recovered enough of the bullets to do ballistics testing.
View Quote

I think they found a casing at one of the shooting sites.
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 3:02:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
XM15 E2S M4
View Quote

A2 or A3?
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 4:10:03 AM EDT
[#6]
No, they were saying they were sure it was an AR15 BEFORE the casing was found.
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 4:29:27 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

A2 or A3?
View Quote

A2 from what I recall.
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 6:30:49 AM EDT
[#8]
They definetly found a casing on the first day when he shot 5 people. The big question is how do you deduce an AR15 from a .223 casing? Granted, the majority of weapons that shoot .223 are AR's, but they're not the only weapons.
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 6:45:30 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
The big question is how do you deduce an AR15 from a .223 casing? Granted, the majority of weapons that shoot .223 are AR's, but they're not the only weapons.
View Quote

I suspect that the breech and ejector markings on the spent cartdridge casing(s) were run again the ATF and FBI forensic imaging/matching systems ("Bulletproof", "Drugfire" and IBIS) to develop probability profiles consistent with known weapon types.  The more samples they got the more they (probably) improved their confidence in their statistical probability.  Note:  I'm not saying that they "knew" it was an AR15.

CWO
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 7:03:20 AM EDT
[#10]
From what I recall, most of the news channels just threw up pics of AR15s as soon as they found out the sniper(s) fired .223 rounds.
Then they specluated on what the actual murder weapon was.
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 8:10:01 AM EDT
[#11]
I belive you can get more from the media by listening to what they are NOT saying.....It was a postban legal A2 carbine w/o scope. Thats why you didnt hear "Super assault weapon sniper rifle" The rifle was STOLEN so you didnt hear anything about "gun laws" and they were prob using FMJ so you dont hear anything about "Superbullets".............UNDERDOG
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 9:55:47 AM EDT
[#12]
The reports I saw said they used soft point hunting ammo.
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 10:59:57 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

It was a postban legal A2 carbine w/o scope.
View Quote

I'm surprised that the anti-gun media didn't jump all over the fact that this "instrument of indiscriminate death" was legal in its current configuration and, therefore, more restrictive laws regarding "assault weapons" are necessary.
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 11:52:14 AM EDT
[#14]
If they did that, that would be admitting that 1994 AW Ban is useless.

Way to go liberals. You say streets will be safer without ARs but we know you don't give a shit about others' true safety.
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 11:56:07 AM EDT
[#15]
The liberal agenda is predicated on the perpetuation of social ills, real or imaginary.

They are incapable of productivity and without something to piss and moan about they are irrelevant.
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 12:29:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

It was a postban legal A2 carbine w/o scope.
View Quote

I'm surprised that the anti-gun media didn't jump all over the fact that this "instrument of indiscriminate death" was legal in its current configuration and, therefore, more restrictive laws regarding "assault weapons" are necessary.
View Quote

They were using a scope as well as a cheap plastic clamp-on bipod.
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 1:50:15 PM EDT
[#17]
it was an M4? i heard the news say it was a bushmaster, and then the little discovery channel thing on the shooting spree said it was a bushmaster XM15 but never said anything about it being the M4 model
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top