Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/2/2003 12:45:04 PM EDT
Since all the focus has shifted to M4's my next project is a dissi. with free float quad rail H/G's does any one have something simular? Pictures will help.
BALOO.
Link Posted: 5/2/2003 1:44:33 PM EDT
[#1]
all a disipator is , is a normal 20" gun with 16" HB,,it has a small taper on end,,which most ppl put sum kinda muzzle brake on..i have a bushy and i put a levang muzzle brake on and it does a wonderful job..
[img]http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid61/p4eff40ee93bd41cf27ca5424861b37bb/fc3a443f.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 5/2/2003 2:04:00 PM EDT
[#2]
If/When I do finally go with a Disipator, mine will wear a lightweight barrel like this.[url]http://www.bushmaster.com/shopping/barrel-assemblies/pbbl-16dm4a.asp[/url]I'm sure there are other companies that offer something similar. I just happened to come across this Bushy version.
Link Posted: 5/2/2003 2:31:11 PM EDT
[#3]
If you like the M-16 feel, a dissipator gives you that feel and look but it's nimble and swingable compared to the hbar 20. The m4dissipator is the nimblest dissipator and none have the inertia that the hbar twenty gives.

That said the hbar 20 feels great for targets and the M4dissipator feels more like an M4.

Choices choices.
M4-AK
Link Posted: 5/2/2003 4:08:32 PM EDT
[#4]
I've got a "Diss" w/ wilson heavy ,1in8, and tactical brake. It's my only gun I don't let others shoot. It has the standard plastic heat shields, you' got a good idea w/ free flat. I might steal it.
Link Posted: 5/2/2003 4:21:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
all a disipator is , is a normal 20" gun with 16" HB
View Quote

Well... actually it's a 16" carbine with an extra non functional gas block (front sight) attached to accept rifle-length handguards.

I'll be building a dedicated suppressed upper using an M4 profiled dissy barrel to gain max sight radius and shortest OAL possible.
Link Posted: 5/2/2003 6:12:23 PM EDT
[#6]
They may be all that, but they sho' is ugly.  Never could get used to seeing them.  But I guess to each their own.
Link Posted: 5/2/2003 6:29:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Die-tryin,
Could you post some more pics of the Levang muzzle break you have on you dissipator?  I have yet to seen one mounted and would like to see what they look like from the front.  Thanks.

Or, does anyone else have pics of the Levang mounted?  I've only seen it in catalogues.  
Link Posted: 5/2/2003 7:23:50 PM EDT
[#8]
I got sick of getting crappy groups with a short sight radius so I made my M4 into a dissy. I ground down the front sight, added a weaver base block, slapped on the 20" handgards and added an A2 stock.  There are a few minor details included in the whole process but it was rather easy to do.
Link Posted: 5/2/2003 7:39:50 PM EDT
[#9]
that is the only pic i got right now,,can take sum later..it looks like a gatlan gun design in front..i mainly got it for the NV,,while lookin through scope i was gettin white blinding light, but now i can see for the 2nd shot with no problem..ya may be able to check out websites for really good pics of jus the brake.like brownells or midway or DPMS catalog has tons of brakes in there..but it really helped muzzle lift and flash too.
Link Posted: 5/2/2003 10:16:20 PM EDT
[#10]
ok...here's the real downlow on dissapators. they are great guns. you get the handiness of a carbine with the feel of the long handgaurds. also one of the main things that it does,(and i can't believe that no one else in here picked up on it), is that you get a lot better accuracy with the full length sight base. so....you have a carbine that is as accurate in every form,with iron sights,as the standard 20"a2 uppers.
Link Posted: 5/2/2003 11:39:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Mine:
[img]http://photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/IG_LoadImage.asp?iImageUnq=10470[/img]
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 1:00:02 AM EDT
[#12]
Zardoz, I take back what I said about dissy's being ugly..yours is sweeeet.  I think having a comp on them makes all the difference.  I like.
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 5:38:43 AM EDT
[#13]
if you install a FF HG, it will need to be a 2-piece design because the gas block will be under the handguard.

availabilty from Bushmaster tends to varry, sometimes theyy have the dissy built on a M4 barrel instead oof an HBAR... or you can send it to Kurts Kustom to be lightened up.

longer sight radius is GOOD! i'm wanting a dissy with a can... shhhh, be vewwy, vewwy qwiet!
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 7:00:28 AM EDT
[#14]
I like the look of the dissy, it's got an efficient, practical look to it & when I get a carbine that is what I will buy.
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 10:00:47 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Zardoz, I take back what I said about dissy's being ugly..yours is sweeeet.  I think having a comp on them makes all the difference.  I like.
View Quote
Many thanks! The comp is a Smith post-ban (set screw) brake, and it works really well.
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 11:56:58 AM EDT
[#16]
So no one here has a dissipator with free float h/g ? Come on there has to be 40.000+guns combine on this site and not one is a dissi. with FF H/G!
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 1:43:06 PM EDT
[#17]
I think they are ugly, kind of the international style of the ARs.
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 3:07:04 PM EDT
[#18]
Dont woory about guys saying it looks UGLY!!!

BUYING A RIFLE ON LOOKS IS STUPID!!!!

The next upper Im getting is going to be a Dissy

I think the Sights have alot going for it!
Must have a light barrel!!!!!!!!!!!

Plus the barrel is protected by the extra length of the handguards!

Now the main Question is Flat Top or A1???
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 5:03:28 PM EDT
[#19]
Does anyone know if any free float Kights rail will work with a diss.    
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 5:43:10 PM EDT
[#20]
Baloo it's funny you should ask. I JUST ordered a Bushmaster A3 Dissipator with an M4 barrell, varminter free float hanguards (the slotted ones), a National Match trigger and an AK brake.
This is a factory custom through my FFL. Cool huh? I would have maybe preferred the trick carbon fiber handguards now being offered by some custom shops, and maybe a JP trigger, but for a factory custom at just a shade over a grand....I'm pretty happy. It will be 3-4 weeks before I see it. It's just like Christmas.
I guess this post will have to suffice for the usual "Whoo-hoo I just bought my first AR" thread.
Oh yes, intended use for this rifle is 3 gun and family training rifle.
AND, I just noticed on the competition forum (after I ordered mine) that a young man just did VERY well at the Texas state 3 gun with a similar setup. This is gratifying information as I wither the spousal unit's "concern" over my expenditure.
Factory custom. Think about it.
                    Twix
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 7:30:25 PM EDT
[#21]
The Fobus M44L works and it is a 4 rail hand guard system. They simply replace the A2 HG's.

They are a sturdy plattform for pistol grips, bipods, lights, and other add on's but I would not reccomend optics on these though the manufacture says you can.

Link Posted: 5/7/2003 4:29:51 AM EDT
[#22]
Baloo,
   My dissipator has a JP free float tube, I use it for competition. I'll email you a pic. You can post it if you like

Link Posted: 5/7/2003 8:45:17 AM EDT
[#23]
I cut down a military M16 govt profile upper to a 16" post ban so it looks like a Dissy. Best thing is that the handguards cover most of the barrel which prevent burns when doing a lot of shooting.
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 4:19:30 PM EDT
[#24]
Thanks all! Its been something I allways wanted to do for a long time because not one posted pix I have seen is a dissi with free float H/G
and I want the four rail to mount fore grip, light etc, but it all come from having that longer sight radius and for me its more accurate.
BALOO.
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 6:58:05 PM EDT
[#25]
Boomstick: What kind of handguards did you use?  

I don't think I've seen a gas block that will fit under free float handguards, and the one on my front sight looks like it would be too tall even cut down.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top