Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 4/30/2003 9:10:05 PM EDT
I saw a full size white flag that was a take off on the historic Culpepper American flag- the one with the coiled up snake, and the lettering "Don't Tread on Me". Except this one had an AR-15 added under the snake and said, "COME AND GET IT"

Anyone know where to obtain this one?
Link Posted: 4/30/2003 9:32:07 PM EDT
Cool. It almost sounds like the Bushmaster logo. I wouldn't mind getting my hands on one of those flags myself.
Link Posted: 4/30/2003 11:15:34 PM EDT
Clearly a marketing opportunity for some motivated individual. [}:D]
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 3:59:24 PM EDT
Ok, I finally found a picture of one, or at least one like it: [img]http://www.boomspeed.com/kisara/RetardedMonkey2.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 4:27:09 PM EDT
sweeeeeeeeeeet. now all we have to do is find out where to get one. [:D]
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 5:48:43 PM EDT
The "Come and Take It" is a reference to a historical event and the flag itself is an updated version of one a local group used. For some reason I tend to remember that it refers to an incident in the Revolution and the flag was flown in the Civil War or after somewhere in the South. It's sometimes one of those stealth message flags like the Confederate First National or the South Carolina Moultrie (?) flag. In other words if you're learned in the appropriate historical mode you get it, otherwise you sumkinda liberal Yankee commie pinko or worse.
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 5:52:52 PM EDT
I just did a Google Search on ""Come and Take It" flag" and this came up first http://www.comeandtakeit.com/bmg-flg.html Looks like checking out several of the responses are worth looking into. Apparently it is a Texas inciden. Is there a larned Texican what can enlighten us?
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 7:45:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/19/2003 7:52:57 PM EDT by Zmeja]
Unfortunately I'm no educated Texan (I didn't go to school here), but I believe the "Come and Take It" flag was from the Texan War of Independence, pre-Alamo. I'll ask a couple of buddies and see what I can get for you guys. Edit: Just found the site mentioned above. Yeah, that's about right. If you poke around on the site, you'll find it for sale for $35. They even have one with a Barrett rifle on the same design. -Zmeja
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 8:00:03 PM EDT
[url]http://www.comeandtakeit.com/rifleflg.html[/url] features this flag: [img]http://www.comeandtakeit.com/med2.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 9:02:45 PM EDT
Two words: I'm sold. I'm definitely getting one. When I get it I'm going to drive to California and fly it all through that damn state. Hopefully I'll piss off some liberals and start a fight. [:D]
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 10:53:56 PM EDT
It was from one of the battles for Texas Independence from Mexico. They put this flag, literally, on top of the canon, and they beat up on a numerically superior force. The canon, BTW, was a small canon mounted to an ox cart. During the colonial period of 1825 to 1835 there were many problems with the Comanche and Tonkawa Indians. In 1831, the Mexican government sent Gonzales a six-pound cannon as protection against the Indians. This cannon was used in the 'Come and Take It' Battle on October 2, 1835, firing the first shot in the Texas Revolution. General Sam Houston, while in Gonzales, learned of the devastating defeat of the Alamo from Mrs. Almaron (Susannah) Dickinson, who, with her baby and two servants, survived the siege. After learning of this event, General Houston gathered troops and began the famous "Runaway Scrape", gaining time and mustering troops to eventually take a stand at San Jacinto where Santa Anna was defeated and Texas gained its freedom from Mexico. It just so happens I visited the Alamo in San Antonio this weekend, and saw two movies about this very incident with the flag! [img]http://www.burnerblog.com/gallery/albums/userpics/alamo/normal_alamo%20014.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 10:54:02 PM EDT
Yes, this is based on a Texas battle flag. May have been the Grass Fight or the Battle of Gonzales (not to be confused with the Goliad Massacre. Essentially, before the Battle of the Alamo, a group of Texicans were warned by the Mexican government to surrender a cannon. The cannon had been held by the Texicans for the purpose of fending off depridations by Native Americans. How they were going to get the NA to jump in front of a itty bitty cannon, I don't recall. Rather than surrender the cannon or hide it, the Texicans sewed up a flag and dared the Mexican troops to "Come And Take It". In a very short battle, one Mexican was killed and the cannon was kept by the Texicans. After the Alamo, when Gen. Sam Houston was luring the Mexican Dictator and General Santa Anna into a trap during a long strategic retrograde, the cannon and flag were both abandoned at a river crossing, never to be seen again. The retrograde was known as the Runaway Scrape. The battle flag of the defenders of the Alamo was the standard Mexican flag with the center devise replaced by the numbers 1824. This was the date of the Mexican Constitution granting Gringos and non-catholics certain rights. The abrogation of the 1824 Constitution by SA was the cause of fight. This flag is in Mexico in the possession of the Federal Government. In spite of many efforts, it has never been returned to Texas. After the battle of the Alamo, the founding fathers of Texas met in a small wooden building at Washington-on-the-Brazos to declare Independence via a document extremely reminiscent of the American DofI. The beloved Lone Star Flag may have been adopted at this point. Shortly thereafter, the delegates fled for their lives. On April 21, 1836, on the banks of the Buffalo Bayou, Santa Anna was defeated by a small force of Texicans under the direction of Sam Houston. The Mexicans were attacked during their afternoon siesta. SA was distracted by a young mullato girl who has been imortalized in the song, The Yellow Rose of Texas. SA was forced to sign a couple of documents that he later repudiated. The battle flag for this fight is now on display at the Texas Capitol in Austin. It features a heroic group of men being led into battle by a bare-breasted woman who is holding a sword that is supporting a banner. I don't recall the words on the banner, but they probably refer to liberty or freedom. Another force of Mexicans, under the direction of Gen. Cos, who happened to be SA bro-in-law, retreated to the other side of the Rio Grande following SA's defeat. In 1845, following the merger of the Republic of Texas and the USA, the issue of Texas and its boundaries were settled by the Mexican War. I am basing this on my recollections of Texas History from Mr. Simmon's Texas History class in 1967-68. Mr. Simmons was a decorated combat vet of WWII, a Texas Aggie, and a fine teacher and gentleman. God bless Texas. God bless America. And as our Yankee buddies have on their flag -- Live Free or Die!
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 11:20:04 PM EDT
So what part of the flag consists of the fastest route to New Orleans for the whores and to Washington DC when the big bad Texans needed the guberment to save them from the Mexicans? [flame] j/k [:D] I need one of those flags darn it. I'm afraid they'd come and take me away though if I hung it up. [peep]
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 11:33:38 PM EDT
I may have to go back and look some more, my link goes to the 50 Barrett Rifle on the flag.
Top Top