Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/5/2003 5:57:44 PM EDT
feb 1 i sent in my plinker(was mis informed by FAC. told all forged)becuase i was unhappy with the quality. the said sent it in for a small fee well remake you a lower. i called Andy once a week changing my mind. a2, to flattop, a3 , firsh, m4. you name it. they were great the whole time. well it came today, first thing i noticed was a muzzel brake they threw in for free. and now its time to switch the trigger.
i pulled the firing group out and was looking at the hammer. this bad boys ground down, polished is all the critical areas, the sides were lightened. so i wantet to campare this to a bm trigger group. pull is so much lighter. what a great surpise. please look at olympic for your next purchase. im very pleased now.
i ended up with a pcr m4 a3 deptach handle firsh mussel brake and a lighted trigger for under 725.00 before tax and shipping.
Link Posted: 3/5/2003 6:06:45 PM EDT
[#1]
If you have to return the weapon due to lack of quality... that would be your first clue.

My idea of a good manufacturer is one who puts out a quality product in the first place.

I would never spend a dime on those idiots!

Link Posted: 3/5/2003 6:06:58 PM EDT
[#2]
That's good to hear.  I'm becoming more and more impressed with them lately.  I purchased a stripped lower from my local shop and it's one of the nicest lowers that I own.  I then found a preban SGW lower that I'm sending back to them to be remanufactured.  I only wished they made chrome lined barrels.

Marc
Link Posted: 3/5/2003 6:08:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Sounds like pretty good customer service to me.
Link Posted: 3/5/2003 6:10:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
what a great surpise. please look at olympic for your next purchase. im very pleased now.

Damn straight on OLY,
My dragon bows to no coiled snake or prancing pony.
Link Posted: 3/5/2003 6:10:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
If you have to return the weapon due to lack of quality... that would be your first clue.

My idea of a good manufacturer is one who puts out a quality product in the first place.

View Quote

[ROFL2]
Link Posted: 3/5/2003 6:53:17 PM EDT
[#6]
So they just sold you new upper? Did you get  the old upper back, I don't see new deal to me. I upset at Olmypic due I place an order CAR97m4 on 20 feb told me Would have Following  week..I call 23 feb for tracking # then story change quickly 4-6 back order for flatop. I

Link Posted: 3/5/2003 6:54:22 PM EDT
[#7]
it was my mistake, not there's. they dindnt have to go 20 miles beond to fix it but the did.
the plinker is a 499.95 lifetime warrantied factory built rifle. you get what you pay for. ill dea; with them any day or recomend them to anyone.  
Link Posted: 3/5/2003 6:57:18 PM EDT
[#8]
DSr
 3/5/2003 10:53:17 PM

So they just sold you new upper? Did you just old back, I see new deal. I upset at Olmypic due place order CAR97m4 on 20 feb told me Would have Following week..I call 23 feb for tracking # then story change quickly 4-6 back order for flatop.

No they made me a lower with my original s/n. swapped me out a flattop, carring handle , installed a firsh, put on a m4 barrel, installed mussel brake, polished trigger, and treated me like a king.
Link Posted: 3/5/2003 7:21:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Man that is a great story and I'm glad to hear it now that I have an Oly preban lower on the way!  I have heard great things about their customer service in the past as well.  Way to go Oly!

Do you have any pics of the FIRSH on your rifle or your entire rifle.  I'm thinking about getting one on my preban upper.

Thanks!

Drivie
Link Posted: 3/5/2003 7:40:48 PM EDT
[#10]
the firsh is great. i have 2 one on the oly and one on a preban bushy. ill try to get som pics up soon. if your gonna buy a firsh order it from FAC (gunsnstuff.net) for like 80.00 or ask  mark budda if hell match the price.
Link Posted: 3/5/2003 8:31:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Nice!  Thanks for the info dsspro.

Drivie
Link Posted: 3/7/2003 5:00:00 AM EDT
[#12]
I have an SGW Oly from 87, no tight mags and still fuctions flawaless. Very low serial number. These guys are the absolute nicest guys. Customer service is top drawer. My lower has very minor appearence issues from years of banging the crap out of it. You can send them your pre-ban lower and they will exchange with your old serial number on a new better made pre-ban lower. I've shot all of the common AR's out there. I'd take an Oly over a Colt for many reasons. Most of the time with AR's that malfunction I have discovered it was because my buddies are lazy and they are filthy. I don't shoot reloads because I don't have time to reload but I can tell you I am nothing but pleased with my OLY for 16 years, and now they are even better.
Link Posted: 3/7/2003 5:10:58 AM EDT
[#13]
I've bought 2 kits directly from Oly, and assembled them on Oly lowers...  all great looking and shooting stuff.

I would and am buying more Oly stuff.  I have had great experience with their Customer Service.
Link Posted: 3/7/2003 5:24:07 AM EDT
[#14]
I recently bought a complete lower from a dealer on this board. I am happy with the finish and machining, however the magwell is alot tighter than my bushmaster. NO chance of ever using thermolds in my Oly or Bushy lowers...
Link Posted: 3/7/2003 6:10:46 AM EDT
[#15]
Lest people forget, or if they never knew, it was Olympic Arms who cost us the ability to buy 7.62x39 steel core ammo.

How? They produced some AR-series pistols with 7.62x39 uppers.  They were begged not to do so, but they did. As soon as they did, ATF said that because said 7.62x39 steel core fit into a pistol, it fell into the classification of armor piercing pistol ammo (you know, the stuff that cops are supposedly being killed with on a continual basis - not).  It takes only ONE commercially produced pistol taking such ammo to make that type of ammo illegal for us all.

And to add insult to injury, Olypic didn't sell many of the damn things.

As for their current quality, don't know, irrelevant. They need to apologize or suffer for their huge mistake.
Link Posted: 3/7/2003 6:25:56 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Lest people forget, or if they never knew, it was Olympic Arms who cost us the ability to buy 7.62x39 steel core ammo.
View Quote

1) Buy American.
2) Ammo or Firearms sales supports the PLA, are you a communist army supporter?
3) The ATF banned that ammo, not OLY.
4) Other makers had 7.62X39 pistols, OLY was just named because they were the biggest fireamrs maker. THey only made a few 7.62X39 pistols.
5) The ammo ban, just like the AW import ban was really to keep the Chinese, who support the PLA with foriegn fireamrs sales, and use the sales as a place to base spies, from profiting on imported weapons or ammo.

How? They produced some AR-series pistols with 7.62x39 uppers.  They were begged not to do so, but they did. As soon as they did, ATF said that because said 7.62x39 steel core fit into a pistol, it fell into the classification of armor piercing pistol ammo (you know, the stuff that cops are supposedly being killed with on a continual basis - not).  It takes only ONE commercially produced pistol taking such ammo to make that type of ammo illegal for us all.
View Quote

Othe companies made more pistols. Why are you supporting the PLA?

And to add insult to injury, Olypic didn't sell many of the damn things.

As for their current quality, don't know, irrelevant. They need to apologize or suffer for their huge mistake.
View Quote

Buy American and stop supporting OUR enemies.
Link Posted: 3/7/2003 7:21:34 AM EDT
[#17]
Uh hello? Other countries besides China made steel core ammo. Yugoslavia, E. Germany, come to mind...

Oh you want to get righteous do you?  Have you EVER bought anything made in CHINA? Anything at all? If so, you supported the PLA also. Don't even go there.  It's unavoidable to buy SOMETHING not made in the USA.  I make a great effort to avoid Chinese products, but you know, it's an impossible situaton.  It just isn't possible to buy EVERYTHING made in the USA, although I do try.

The Chinese saw a great opportunity to sell off their old weapons and use the money to upgrade to better ones.  WE the USA have done the same thing - selling M1 Garands, M1 Carbine, M14, etc, to other countries. The list goes on and on.  If there wasn't a market for inexpensive rifles, they wouldn't have sold.  If the American companies had offered a similar product, I'm sure people would have bought it.  Of course it wouldn't have been as cheap, because Chinese labor is slave labor, but still... given a $75 Chinese SKS and a $100 USA model, I've have chosen the USA model.  So there. :)

As for ATF banning the ammo, and not Oly, of course. ATF are the ones who regulate the importation, not OLY. It's like a cat (OLY) poking the big Doberman (ATF) in the eye, and then wondering why it got swatted. They KNEW what would happen if they sold those pistols, and they did it anyways.

I don't know if other companies sold such pistols BEFORE OLY - I've never heard of any, so I'll concede that point if you can give me more info.  My point is, who made them FIRST, and brought down the wrath of the ATF on us? I was quite pleased with E German steel core ammo til I couldn't buy anymore...

Link Posted: 3/7/2003 8:41:34 AM EDT
[#18]
I think you need to punch in on the fact that any ban on any ammo from any where is not the fault of an American firearms manufacturer, it is the fault of liberal  politicians. Your argument is like blaming the child for child abuse.
Link Posted: 3/7/2003 9:15:26 AM EDT
[#19]

I'll agree with you that the fact that there is a law concerning "cop-killer ammo" on the books isn't the fault of the gun manufacturers. It sure is the damn liberal politicians fault that such laws exist. But I can't agree that OLY is blameless in that we lost steel core 7.62x39.

They were told what would happen if they did make those pistols. They simply didn't care - you know, to hell with the rest of the gun community, we want to sell this gun, even though it'll cost others dearly. And it did.

There were a lot of ammo dealers who had to take the loss when the ammo was banned. They had huge inventories of it, and all of a sudden, LITERALLY OVERNIGHT, could not sell it.  Each round of that 7.62x39 now classified as AP pistol ammo would get you a felony conviction if you tried to sell it.  We're talking huge losses here, far more than the little bit that OLY probably made from the few pistols they did sell.  If someone has actual sales figures, I'd be pleased to see them, but from what I heard back then, sales were very minimal. Far lower than the damage done to others.  I figure since they said basically the hell with the rest of the shooting community, the shooting community ought to say the same concerning them.
Link Posted: 3/8/2003 5:55:41 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Uh hello? Other countries besides China made steel core ammo. Yugoslavia, E. Germany, come to mind...
View Quote

E. Germany, and Yugoslavia would both be Communist Countries?

Oh you want to get righteous do you?  Have you EVER bought anything made in CHINA? Anything at all? If so, you supported the PLA also.
View Quote

I wasn't the one who had to inject the righteousness into the thread. It was some guy complaining about OLY, for "getting" Communist ammo banned by the ATF.

[red]It's like having a car crash at an intersection and blaming the company that supplied the wooden post a stop sign was bolted to.[/red]

The PLA has very specific industries that it controls. Firearms and ammo happen to be 2 of them. The importers on the west coast were also used as cover for PLA spies.

Don't even go there.  It's unavoidable to buy SOMETHING not made in the USA.  I make a great effort to avoid Chinese products, but you know, it's an impossible situaton.  It just isn't possible to buy EVERYTHING made in the USA, although I do try.
View Quote

Me too, and I won't be complaining about Chinese ammo be unavailable. Apparently the Chinese were the largest supplier of that ammo, by a wide margin. They were also trying to make up the profits they lost due to the AW import ban, by selling more ammo.

The Chinese saw a great opportunity to sell off their old weapons and use the money to upgrade to better ones.
View Quote

Well super, let's all chip in and buy the Chinese Army better weapons, ones that one day might be used against Americans.

I think it is doubful they were selling any actual used military weapons, since most of those would be MG's, and illegal.

WE the USA have done the same thing - selling M1 Garands, M1 Carbine, M14, etc, to other countries.The list goes on and on.  If there wasn't a market for inexpensive rifles, they wouldn't have sold.
View Quote

Yeah, so many people care more about a cheap product than anything else. Forget the prisoner labor, PLA support, and spying that go with those products. As long as you can save a buck or 2.

If the American companies had offered a similar product, I'm sure people would have bought it.  Of course it wouldn't have been as cheap, because Chinese labor is slave labor, but still... given a $75 Chinese SKS and a $100 USA model, I've have chosen the USA model.  So there. :)

As for ATF banning the ammo, and not Oly, of course. ATF are the ones who regulate the importation, not OLY. It's like a cat (OLY) poking the big Doberman (ATF) in the eye, and then wondering why it got swatted. They KNEW what would happen if they sold those pistols, and they did it anyways.

I don't know if other companies sold such pistols BEFORE OLY - I've never heard of any, so I'll concede that point if you can give me more info.  My point is, who made them FIRST, and brought down the wrath of the ATF on us? I was quite pleased with E German steel core ammo til I couldn't buy anymore...

View Quote

I believe OLY had something like 8 7.62X39 pistols, when the ban was enacted. They were still in the proto phase.

Others, Rocky Mountain Arms, come to mind. I believe there were several other manufacturers selling 7.62X39 pistols before OLY annonced theirs.

Why don't you just blame the ATF.

I believe the AW import ban was actually enacted to get the PLA out of the market. Of course it effected ALL imports, because we just can't block imports from 1 Country and not others.

Then the ammo imports from China started going through the roof. Too bad for them they were by far the largest importer of 7.62X39 steel cored ammo. The ban, I think, was as much a slap at China as anything.
Link Posted: 3/9/2003 5:06:40 AM EDT
[#21]
OLY-M4gry,

I think we ought to agree to disagree and leave it at that, since we're obviously not going to agree at all.
Link Posted: 3/9/2003 5:25:50 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
OLY-M4gry,

I think we ought to agree to disagree and leave it at that, since we're obviously not going to agree at all.
View Quote

Can't we agree to just blame the ATF?
Link Posted: 3/10/2003 5:42:14 AM EDT
[#23]
My Oly pc16 has been perfect 2 years and counting.
Link Posted: 3/10/2003 10:27:39 AM EDT
[#24]
They make crap pure and simple. I have been over it several times on this board. But they lied to me and took over a year to fix several problems with a rifle they sold me.
PAT
Link Posted: 3/10/2003 7:03:46 PM EDT
[#25]
damn, you just said this on a dif. thread. if you dont like them, dont buy them , the quallity is far better than aveage. i got the arsenal to prove it. I got mine back in 4 weeks.

im just hopping people will stop bashing olympic, im not bashing bm for selling me a purple upper and black lower with rought forging marks around it. the thing shoots great.

Link Posted: 3/10/2003 7:37:50 PM EDT
[#26]
My buddy has a pre ban sgw stop sign for sale
How much should I pay for a pre ban oly??
It is a 11.5 with a 4.5" flash suppressor
is this a bad barrel configuration= not acurate??
Link Posted: 3/11/2003 2:35:18 PM EDT
[#27]
billclo (or perhaps ypu meant to say billclinton), get a grip, and then get some facts.

1. Oly books proved that NO OA-93 pistols chambered in 7.62x39 were sold prior to the ban of the ammo.
2. After the ban of the ammo, then, and only then, 8 complete pistols were sold in the 7.62x39 caliber.
3. Over 200 AK 47 pistols were manufactured and sold to US consumers over 2 years before the OA-93 was even announced. These AK pistols were assembled on receivers imported by B-West in AZ. This is a proven fact. Yey ATf never made a move on it at that time.
3. Other ammunitions meet the same criteria to be banned, yet none are. Gee wonder why??

The point is ATF has done nothing but lie to us citizens throughout their entire existance. And they have done so here, but you are choosing to beleive them when you have nothing but the ATF side of the story.

Do you beleive what their official story on Waco is?

Do you beleive the ATF version of what happened at Ruby Ridge?

Have you ever wondered why the ATf has never sought to charge those responsible for the 70 missing weapons (some class III) from the Border Patrol and FBI??

you'll have your opinion all your life, and probably no one will change it. BUT, you really should do a bit more research before you take a stance and start spouting of "facts" that simply are not facts.

This is a tired old argument.
Link Posted: 3/11/2003 2:51:00 PM EDT
[#28]
As my screen name implies...I love mine and very happy with the lifetime warranty that I haven't needed yet. Fit and finnish is beautiful.
Link Posted: 3/11/2003 3:13:32 PM EDT
[#29]
If they make a weapon like that its good to hear they have such a great customer service departmet considering the need for it, compared to other makes olymipic is a POS
Link Posted: 3/12/2003 6:38:41 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
billclo (or perhaps ypu meant to say billclinton), get a grip, and then get some facts.

1. Oly books proved that NO OA-93 pistols chambered in 7.62x39 were sold prior to the ban of the ammo.
2. After the ban of the ammo, then, and only then, 8 complete pistols were sold in the 7.62x39 caliber.
3. Over 200 AK 47 pistols were manufactured and sold to US consumers over 2 years before the OA-93 was even announced. These AK pistols were assembled on receivers imported by B-West in AZ. This is a proven fact. Yey ATf never made a move on it at that time.
3. Other ammunitions meet the same criteria to be banned, yet none are. Gee wonder why??

The point is ATF has done nothing but lie to us citizens throughout their entire existance. And they have done so here, but you are choosing to beleive them when you have nothing but the ATF side of the story.

Do you beleive what their official story on Waco is?

Do you beleive the ATF version of what happened at Ruby Ridge?

Have you ever wondered why the ATf has never sought to charge those responsible for the 70 missing weapons (some class III) from the Border Patrol and FBI??

you'll have your opinion all your life, and probably no one will change it. BUT, you really should do a bit more research before you take a stance and start spouting of "facts" that simply are not facts.

This is a tired old argument.
View Quote

Well thank you Zenif for the information.  I was not aware of some of the things you mention. Thank you for that.  It is not necessary or polite to compare me to Bill Clinton or insinuate that I'm an uninformed moron.  Uninformed to some extent, yes, moron no.

Perhaps you might guide me to some websites that contain such information so that I might be less uninformed next time.  And contrary to your statment that I'll probably have the same opinion the rest of my life, you are sadly mistaken.  Once given facts that I can check out, I can and do change my mind.  Where would I be able to verify your "facts" and make up my own mind? Not that I'm going to take your word on it either  :)

As for condoning what the ATF does, hah. Far from it.  
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 8:15:15 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

Hey if you buy a cast plinker you get a cast plinker eh??? They took back something he was sold as forged, by misinformation, and let him upgrade all kinds of stuff period. There was not a quality issue here....

Idiot's??? How do yo figure???

They have been around since 76'....

They have the best warranty in the industry...

Tell me please....
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top