Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 10:42:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 11:25:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
This cartridge is no secret! The entire SF community has been aware of it 'ever since', and with no orders, either written or oral, to put a lid on discussion. It's already been all over other sites on the 'net. In fact, the barmaids in the beer joints around Bragg probably know more about it that some of out Ninja-Posers!!  
View Quote

I don't think the issue is that the round is "secret."  I think the issue is that our ammo moderators have had some of the details shared with them early by researchers on the condition that they keep their mouths shut.

I don't mean to speak for them but I imagine that since they value their connections with these sources they are remaining mum.  You, on the otherhand, should keep babbling.
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 9:36:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Ooooh, looks like I struck a sore spot! If the "Moderators" and their cadre of fawning admirers choose to believe that they have 'sources' or 'contacts' that make them privy to certain information or items that no one else has access to they should go right ahead with that fantasy.

Some self-proclaimed 'guru' proclaims that he posesses certain knowledge or has exclusive rights to something and this turns out to be misleading or self-serving tripe, and those who know better should meekly look away instead of airing their opinions on the subject?

If that's the way the site doctrine is established then why don't you "Moderators" post a disclaimer stating that only posers, Ninjas, and other sycophants are welcome to post on this site? While you're at it, also change the title from "Moderator" to Censor, and change the status of "Member" to that of apostle!

Everyone who should know already knows that you can induce a relatavely small ammunition producer to produce a 'special run' of his product if you place a minimum size order and back it with cash. For that matter, if you order a 100,000 piece minimum order of cartridge cases the manufacturers will headstamp it with anything you like - even POSER SPECIAL!

So what did you guys do - put up a certain dollar amount for Black Hills to produce one of those 'special buys' for ar15.com, and now you have to sweat  that your followers will buy it all up? Is that why everyone connected is so sensitive about this subject? And was the 6.8mm ammo possibly the next in line for a 'special buy'?

If the above is true, then you're just plain gambling, and I don't personally give a crap whose funds you risk, just be truthful and come on out and admit it! If you've been milking the cash cow of 'special buys' for a decent profit just inform your potential customers of that fact. I certainly expect my friends in the firearms trade to profit on their investment. After all, they have families to support, businesses to keep afloat, and all of the other expenses associated with our capitalist society. And that is all honest and above board.

But, to make use of an overused expression - don't tell me that it's raining when you're pissin' on my shoes.  
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 10:15:36 PM EDT
[#4]
ouch
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 10:49:58 PM EDT
[#5]
[rolleyes]
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 10:56:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted: So what did you guys do - put up a certain dollar amount for Black Hills to produce one of those 'special buys' for ar15.com, and now you have to sweat  that your followers will buy it all up? Is that why everyone connected is so sensitive about this subject? And was the 6.8mm ammo possibly the next in line for a 'special buy'?

If the above is true, then you're just plain gambling, and I don't personally give a crap whose funds you risk, just be truthful and come on out and admit it! If you've been milking the cash cow of 'special buys' for a decent profit just inform your potential customers of that fact. I certainly expect my friends in the firearms trade to profit on their investment. After all, they have families to support, businesses to keep afloat, and all of the other expenses associated with our capitalist society. And that is all honest and above board.

But, to make use of an overused expression - don't tell me that it's raining when you're pissin' on my shoes.
View Quote

Listen Ronald McDonald, these guys aren't McBoingBoinging anything for profit. Georgia Precision worked out this entire deal if you're literate enough to read some of the details. They have no ties with this board other than the money the pay to keep their own industry forum going. Georgia Precision contacted Black Hills to run a special production for a certain load folks on this site desire. I assume that Georgia Precision has the leverage to do this since they're a full line dealer of Black Hills ammo and probably sells the s#$t out of their high quality stuff.

If you don't want to cough up the money for it, then don't. Right now you're just being a jack ass about it. I agree that the "secrets" being held up over the 6.8 mm round is B.S., but if they got their info either through purported connections or rumours and those that told them said to keep it secret, then accept it and stop bitching about it. Just like the SIR, URX, RAS II, and my personal favorite, the Trijicon Tri-Power, we won't know the damn truth until it's available for sale via MSTN (who usually gets this shit before anyone else [:D]).

Until then, quit acting like hamburgler on crack. [booze]

Edited to fix animation
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 7:38:47 AM EDT
[#7]
Indeed, please put the crack pipe down.
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 10:56:14 AM EDT
[#8]
No, I dont think any of this stuff is "secret" either.  

I can understand why the army doesn't want hard info out on the street, as nothing is set in stone yet.  Experiments with bullet weights and profiles, case shapes and shoulder angles, magazine mods, carryover to other weapons systems,.....  It is all, or seems to be, still in flux.  

Not that it is a concern to the military, but I would rather avoid a 308 Winchester/7.62mm fiasco myself.

What bugs me is that some folks on this board were jumping up and down saying, "I have a secret!" and tantalizing us with widely known info.  
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 5:01:44 AM EDT
[#9]
The military use of 6.8 has been canned.  

Two main reasons where:

1.  The current investment in 5.56mm ammunition.  

2.  The performance of the 77 grain projectile.  

'Nuff said.  
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 8:14:47 PM EDT
[#10]
BTT beyatch! ;)
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 9:31:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Just an FYI, The 6.8 was a big "smoke & mirrors" deal. The real issue wasn't if it was better than 5.56,  it was how stupid it would be to try and give it to GIs. Small issues like logistics, resupply, and interoperability with everyone else presented the obviousl conclusion that it dosen't matter how good (or bad) the 6.8 is, it just doesn't make ANY sense. Which begs the question; why were/are there people pushing something obviously unsuited for military use? (this is even more the case with SF units despite what many will try and tell you).
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top