BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 1/26/2003 8:18:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Ronin is a movie with some pretty cool gun stuff in it & not a bad flick at that!
Link Posted: 1/26/2003 8:43:37 AM EDT
[#2]
The Professional. The sniper type AR Leon taught Matilda how to shoot first from the hotel rooftop.

Link Posted: 1/26/2003 8:55:06 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
IIRC, the sound effects, the muzzle flash as well as the "ejected" cases are all added via digital animation on the newer movies.  I read somewhere that in the filming of We Were Soldiers, the majority of the M16's and AK's were of the dummy variety since all the "effects" were to be added by the computer.

Kind of dampens the effect when watching...
View Quote

If you look closely, all the M-16s have the  proper 3 prong flash suppressor that would have been used during that time.

I have no idea if they were real, fake or computer generated, but at least someone took the time to get that one small detail correct.
Link Posted: 1/26/2003 8:56:14 AM EDT
[#4]
How about "Platoon". Too bad they used 16" carbines instead if XM77E2 Commandos (16" carbines were never used in Nam)!
Link Posted: 1/26/2003 11:12:41 AM EDT
[#5]
The Seige of Firebase Gloria had some pretty intense M-16 fire fights in it. It was a pretty good movie too.
Link Posted: 1/26/2003 11:18:48 AM EDT
[#6]
I never thought this little post would go this far..Thanks to all that helped me make my first flaming folder[:D].I'd like to thank my mom for beliving in me,oh yeah id like to thank the acadamy.And AR15.com for giving me a home..I once was lost but now i found.....UNDERDOG
Link Posted: 1/26/2003 8:12:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Clear and Present Danger.....the AR pistol the CIA operative had was sweet.
Link Posted: 1/27/2003 1:07:59 AM EDT
[#8]
The gun Bond uses is either a SAR80 or SR88 from Singapore.I beleive its th SR88 but will haave to watch it again to be certain.It is based on the AR18.SJR556.
Link Posted: 1/27/2003 2:43:47 AM EDT
[#9]
Another BAD AR movie - the Replacement Killers; When Chow Young Fat Uses a 9mm AR as a sniper Rifle.  I think NOT!

Link Posted: 1/27/2003 2:45:34 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
IIRC, the sound effects, the muzzle flash as well as the "ejected" cases are all added via digital animation on the newer movies.  I read somewhere that in the filming of We Were Soldiers, the majority of the M16's and AK's were of the dummy variety since all the "effects" were to be added by the computer.

View Quote

If you look closely, all the M-16s have the  proper 3 prong flash suppressor that would have been used during that time.

I have no idea if they were real, fake or computer generated, but at least someone took the time to get that one small detail correct.
View Quote

If you look scattered around the ground in that movie all you see is 20-round Magazines, Anyone know when the Military started using the 30-rounders?  It was a bit before my enlistment!

Link Posted: 1/28/2003 7:00:10 AM EDT
[#11]
I think someone briefly mentioned it earlier but I can't believe more people have not mentioned Al Pacino opening his office door the easy way in Scarface.  

"Say 'ello to my 'lil 'fren!!"
Link Posted: 1/28/2003 8:11:45 AM EDT
[#12]
if you look closely at the cover of navy seals (i didnt buy it, a sheen or baldwin either one can ruin an entire movie)the ar sheen is holding clearly says something along the lines of blah blah blah specialties, L.A.
Link Posted: 1/28/2003 11:59:32 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/28/2003 1:04:24 PM EDT
[#14]
HEAT and Black Hawk Down.

-off the topic Arnold in Commando has to be one of the funniest flicks! I love when he picks up the M-60 and is blasting it and there are only like 10 rounds left on the belt and in every following sceane a full 150 rd. belt magically appears when he's running and when he stops to fire from the hip he once againg burns the belt to about 6 rds and when he runs again the belt once again has 200 some rounds on it! And let's not forget those funny little grunts "A-UUGh"
every time he gets hit with a frag![:)]
Link Posted: 1/29/2003 12:00:15 AM EDT
[#15]
HEAT....
PROOF of LIFE...if only they woulda digitally intensified the Claymore scene.  Lemme tell ya...when a Claymore goes off that close to people they don't just fly around like faries...they evaporate.
Link Posted: 1/29/2003 12:48:18 AM EDT
[#16]
ESCAPE FROM NEW YORK had "future guns" in it.
(ARs with no handguards)
Link Posted: 1/29/2003 4:20:36 AM EDT
[#17]
Yeah it was funny but it was cool when Arnold was trimming the bad guys and flowers in that scene.
Link Posted: 1/29/2003 10:55:02 AM EDT
[#18]
The helicopters with the miniguns are AH-6 Little Birds........I think thats the military desingation........correct me if wrong!-Horik
Link Posted: 1/29/2003 11:20:09 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Another BAD AR movie - the Replacement Killers; When Chow Young Fat Uses a 9mm AR as a sniper Rifle.  I think NOT!
View Quote

Actually, using a 9mm AR for a short-range, silenced sniper weapon makes much sense.  What made little sense was having the entire upper broken down to components.  No sniper would ever do that, but it "looks more dramatic" having the sniper assembling the rifle.

-Troy
View Quote

I agree that a handgun caliber will silence a lot more effectively, but I will have to watch it again to double check the distnance though.  Any idea what the maximum effective range of a 9mm AR is or where you can get a scope with a 9mm BDC?

I guess personally I would opt to have an accurate rifle that, even thought it may not be silenced, would keep me out of range of any handgun the policeman would more than likely have, for coming home after a day at work!  After all, if one shot if all he needs then whether or not the cop heard the shot he would know it happened.

Link Posted: 1/31/2003 7:51:38 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
how about that part when he drops the M16A1 as he is getting in the elivator and the barrel and flash hider bend because its RUBBER! lol
View Quote

I watched and never saw a barrel bend, or even see him drop a rifle before getting in the elevator.  Watch it again, if you still see it tell me when, (use the timer on the DVD player).

Link Posted: 1/31/2003 10:01:22 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
how about that part when he drops the M16A1 as he is getting in the elivator and the barrel and flash hider bend because its RUBBER! lol
View Quote

I watched and never saw a barrel bend, or even see him drop a rifle before getting in the elevator.  Watch it again, if you still see it tell me when, (use the timer on the DVD player).

View Quote
Iknow it off the AR topic, but the three things I found In Braveheart like the stuff above is,(1)At the funeral for his dad, & bro  the 1st bit of dirt thrown on the bodies makes the whole corps move. (2)At the battle of Sterling Bridge during the charge across the field Mel pulls his sword while running, & when they flash back to him it sheathed. (3)At the end when the Scotts charge with the Bruce Anguss's big broad axe wiggles back & forth like a rubber pancake! Catching these mistakes is really kind of fun[rofl2]
Hey look at my post number!! wheres the confetie?[party]
Link Posted: 1/31/2003 10:01:25 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I agree that a handgun caliber will silence a lot more effectively, but I will have to watch it again to double check the distnance though.  Any idea what the maximum effective range of a 9mm AR is or where you can get a scope with a 9mm BDC?

I guess personally I would opt to have an accurate rifle that, even thought it may not be silenced, would keep me out of range of any handgun the policeman would more than likely have, for coming home after a day at work!  After all, if one shot if all he needs then whether or not the cop heard the shot he would know it happened.

View Quote

Whatever it's max effective distance would be, it would probably be many, many times that of the range of a handgun (expecially in a high stress situation like your son getting shot) and would be more than a match for the cop with his sidearm.  

It didn't look like he was that far from the cop's house anyway, so the 9mm probably would have worked just fine.  But yeah, a sniper would have wanted to put more distance between himself and the atrget, regardless of how well armed the opposition was.  

Regardless, it was a movie and movies take "artistic" (and I use that word very loosely) license and very, very rarely reflect real life practices.
Link Posted: 1/31/2003 11:04:51 AM EDT
[#23]
Die HArd 2 also has some AR action in it.

Also, another good movie editting goof is in Eraser.  Next time you see it watch johnnie V's vest while Arnold is getting help from him in the gay bar.
Link Posted: 1/31/2003 1:13:20 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

May be with all this new technology we can enjoy [b]REALISTIC[/b] muzzle flash instead of gigantic yellow stars.

edited because I should check the board code
Link Posted: 1/31/2003 1:28:19 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:how about that part when he drops the M16A1 as he is getting in the elivator and the barrel and flash hider bend because its RUBBER! lol
View Quote

I Just finished watching that part and IT REALLY DOES BEND!!!! [LOL]   [ROFL]
Link Posted: 7/30/2003 4:06:51 AM EDT
[#26]
The [b][size=2]original[/b][/size=2] (eck, I'm gagging) French "La Femme Nakita" NON-dubbed version really kicks ass. Great story line, excellent action and lotsa fine fine TOYS.
Link Posted: 7/30/2003 6:44:27 AM EDT
[#27]
I know its not a movie, But I taped about a weeks worth of cnn, to watch the 3rd squad,7th Calvary of the 3rd Infantry Division roll into Baghdad International. That was just awesome, Realtime combat thanks to CNN's Walter Rogers.  You got to love those shots of  M1A1's , Kiowas, and Bradleys. Just Amazing watching it unfold, to see live tank fire and then guys slinging lead and AT4s into the outposts just before they took the airport.  Better than any movies as of lately.

Another few recent ones to see some AR's:

BASIC with samuel l jackson and john travolta

TEARS OF THE SUN with bruce willis

Link Posted: 7/30/2003 8:33:21 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
"The Postman".
Seems like everybody in future (Post-Apocalyptic) America will have one.  And I'm all for that.
View Quote

Why not, if the shtf ima raid the local armory,,They got a couple nice hummers with the TOW missle jobs on em [:D]...Btw any one seen Omega man..?Its an OLD movie buncha mutants and only one fine sister running around he doesnt have a Ar (some kinda cheesy subgun) but it was kinda cool..........UNDERDOG
View Quote

dude, I'm so old, I saw that movie in the THEATER lol...Charleton Heston had the lead role.  Can't remember the black girl's name, but she was fairly well known back then.  The end was kinda cheesy, when they show him dead in that crucifiction pose....and those white eyes all the mutants had freaked me out!  
Link Posted: 7/30/2003 3:56:33 PM EDT
[#29]
FMJ - AR's, M14's, and R. Lee Ermey.  What more can you ask for?

BHD also rates up there.   Does anyone remember Hamburger Hill?   I can't remember what year that was set in or what they were using.   Good movie, anyway.
Link Posted: 7/30/2003 4:52:58 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
There was a brief scene using AR's in the movie "My Science Project".
View Quote

Where the nerd knows how to use it from reading the "Janes Guide" on smallarms.  

Another flick with AR15/M16's:  Switchblade Sisters....a cheesey '70s B movie.  The girl gang in the title fights back against the dope dealing gang that's muscle'n in on their turf.  Some early AR15/M16 action, & my favorite, one black momma gangbanger using a BAR from a armorplated ghetto-cruiser (think A-Team vehicle of the week).

Carrie Fisher in Blues Brothers...nice rocket launcher & zippo action from her also.

Postman, of course.  I don't think all the Postman army used M-14's, I think most were Mausers/Mosin-Nagants/Springfields & Garands.  Will have to rent it & watch closer.  

Underdog75, I think the burpgun used by Heston in OmegaMan was either a Swedish 'K' or Smith & Wesson M76 (same difference).
Link Posted: 7/30/2003 5:27:09 PM EDT
[#31]
I thought Tears of the Sun with Bruce Willis was pretty good, too.  Especially, the battle at the end.

Not a huge Bruce Willis fan but, nice weapons!!![:D]
Link Posted: 7/30/2003 6:04:07 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I thought Tears of the Sun with Bruce Willis was pretty good, too.  Especially, the battle at the end.

Not a huge Bruce Willis fan but, nice weapons!!![:D]
View Quote

Just seconds before I was to post the same...good AR scenes here with the Aimpoint M2 on Knights (or GG&G) cantilever and GG&G AN/PVS-14 mount.  Enjoyed seeing the shotgun in this environ as well....

O'DubhGhaill, out.
[url=www.forcerecon.com]Force Recon Association[/url] regular member #2259  
Link Posted: 7/30/2003 7:54:20 PM EDT
[#33]
How about the "ROCK"with sean connery and nicholas cage marine recon take over alcatrazz.
Link Posted: 7/31/2003 1:01:15 AM EDT
[#34]
And then there is that 1967 movie;
“The President's Analyst”.  It starred James Coburn.

At the end of the movie there is a FANTASTIC shootout with M16’s.

Death to TPC!

What does TPC stand for?  SEE THE MOVIE!
Link Posted: 7/31/2003 7:06:18 AM EDT
[#35]
OMFG!!!!! where the hell did this post come from????? I started this badboy way back in Jan. Talk about coming back from the dead!..LOL...UNDERDOG
Link Posted: 7/31/2003 11:05:58 AM EDT
[#36]
The Ar-15 Tactical Carbine Training video..... IT'S FULL OF ARs!!!!!!!

It seems like no one mentioned Scarface....The ending has a prime example of the practical use of a M16, in a home defense situation.
Link Posted: 7/31/2003 11:25:20 AM EDT
[#37]
Wasn't there some guy on the Junk Planet in the movie "Solider" with Curt Russel that had an AR with the heat guard misssing??[:D]
Link Posted: 7/31/2003 12:02:39 PM EDT
[#38]
3K To Graceland and Heat,Predator are a couple of my favorites , but I saw Tears on the sun or over the sun or near ...whatever it was - Willis looked like he had an SR-15 and it looked brand new I mean c'mon I dont know but would his weapon really look like 'cept in a studio ?? The number of missions that Willis' character would have had to been thru to get to the level he was I beleive would have left his weapon scarred a little bit the damn thing looked like it had a make-up girl !!!!
Link Posted: 7/31/2003 2:21:02 PM EDT
[#39]
Saw "Basic" the other night.... what a JOKE.

1. A FEMALE Ranger? WTF??
2. Wearing mixed black and red berets in the field?
3. Rangers wearing ponchos?? HAHAHA
4. The recruits in formation saying "Hooah, Sergeant!" but the sergeant (Samual Jackson) is wearing Spec-4 rank.
5. Ranger "basic training" is conducted at Ft. Benning, GA. Not Panama. It's called R.I.P - Ranger Indoctrination Program.
6. Panamanian prostitutes do not flirt with you from your hotel balcony. They hit you over the head with a bottle of Atlas beer, steal your wallet, then come back nine months later with a diapered "plane ticket" in their arms...then you are 'screwed'. Happened to several of my buddies in 5/87INF to one extent or another.
7. Running around at night, during a hurricane, without night vision, blasting pop-up targets from the hip? Sure, why not...
8. Rangers chew Copenhagen, not Skoal.
9. The worst reason I hated this movie? John Travolta showing his Ranger scroll tattoo. (I got the same one on my left arm.... almost puked.)

Don't waste the four bucks on "Basic"... go get Blackhawk Down again.
Link Posted: 7/31/2003 2:29:58 PM EDT
[#40]
(..Btw any one seen Omega man..?Its an OLD movie buncha mutants and only one fine sister running around he doesnt have a Ar (some kinda cheesy subgun) but it was kinda cool..........UNDERDOG)

Yea, one cool movie! BTW it just came out on DVD,I have it ordered!
Link Posted: 7/31/2003 5:07:55 PM EDT
[#41]
I can't believe there aren't more mentions of The Rock, it's got a lot of great shoot-outs featuring M16's.

Someone mentioned this earlier, but Willem Defoe's character uses what looks like an Olympic Arms OA-93 pistol during the final portion of "Clear and Present Danger". If you look closely, he doesn't even have any kind of optics on the receiver rail(the OA-93 doesn't have iron sights). Heh, I never would have noticed that if I wasn't a member of AR15.com. The AR15 addiction always gives me the urge to use the slow motion feature on my DVD player to check out cool guns in movies.
Link Posted: 7/31/2003 5:29:08 PM EDT
[#42]
To EINRICH tell me about it ,they even get into a fire fight with a seal team led by actor michael bien the same guy that did the movie navy seals with charlie sheen,alot of those guys are carrying carbines,ed harris is the commander of the marines it had alot of good actors and alot of hardware.And what about "pROOF OF LIFE"with russell crowe and that NYPD blue guy,anyway they all have M4a1s a 249 you just have to wait for the last half hour of the movie to see them assault the base where this guy is being kept..good action just fast forward to the end.
Link Posted: 7/31/2003 5:45:17 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
James Bond: Goldeneye (I think), in the opening sequence, when he's raiding the enemy airbase, he has some shorty AR variant.
View Quote

If its the same movie I'm thinking of, its not an AR at all, but a Krinkov shorty AK.... very cool, even though I'm no AK fan...

Carbine_Man
Link Posted: 8/1/2003 12:14:30 PM EDT
[#44]
Have anyone seen movie titled[url=http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/entertainment/movies/reviews/wayofthegunhunter.htm]The Way of The Gun[/url]?

Not any ARs there but still lots of great realistic shoot-outs. There are only few films made where gun handling and tactics of a gun fight are so well done like in this movie.

Link Posted: 8/1/2003 12:51:09 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Carrie Fisher in the "Blue Brothers"![ROFL2]
View Quote

You beat me to it - by only six months & change...  [:D]

IIRC, EVERYBODY in "Blues Brothers" except the Illinois Nazis ("I hate Illinois Nazis.") had ARs/M16s.  After the "We've got a half-tank of gas, ..., and we're wearing sunglasses." speech when they tear off out of the tunnel, CF is on the ground firing one at them and representatives of every state and local authority in Illinois are shooting at them from the bridge above.  Nobody actually hits our dark-clad heroes, of course...
Link Posted: 8/1/2003 1:26:05 PM EDT
[#46]
The little AR the serial killer had in "bloodwork" is an Olyarms k23 stubby, the very same model I own.

I tought that willem dafoe had also a K23 in clear and present danger, but close inspection revealed a folding stock, so it's a OA 93 AR pistol, ever from Olyarms. In first scene, when he and Harrison Ford contact the sniper, he has the OA 93 with a stock folded, while during the prison assault he have no stock.

Link Posted: 8/2/2003 6:18:52 AM EDT
[#47]
I still like the scene from 'WE WERE SOLDIERS', but if it was really 1965 Vietnam, would their M16's have forward assists on them?

The ones in the movie did.

Link Posted: 8/2/2003 9:26:37 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Have anyone seen movie titled[url=http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/entertainment/movies/reviews/wayofthegunhunter.htm]The Way of The Gun[/url]?

Not any ARs there but still lots of great realistic shoot-outs. There are only few films made where gun handling and tactics of a gun fight are so well done like in this movie.

View Quote

Glad you reminded me, puttin' it in the DVD right now!
Link Posted: 8/14/2003 7:37:04 AM EDT
[#49]
In the Omega Man, Charton Heston used a S&W M76 and a BAR with an AN-PVS2.

The Shorty in Navy SEALS was made by LaFrance Specialties
Link Posted: 8/14/2003 8:42:06 AM EDT
[#50]
I remember as a kid, watching "The Gauntlet" with Clint Eastwood. I loved where they reduced that house to splinters with the full auto assault. I can't remember the guns they used, but it was cool!
Page / 3
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top