Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/21/2002 3:59:23 PM EDT
Went to the range and shot my 1st brand new AR.
It's a Bushmaster 16" bbl A3 top. Used some reloaded L.C. 99' ammo I got at the Richmond gun show. Did the 5 shots clean, 5 shots clean for the 1st 50 rounds. Then after the 1st 50 rounds I broke it all the way down and gave it a real good cleaning. After that the next 50 I just shot as I wanted.

It was a little high at 25 yards, I raised the front post 3 clicks and that covered that. At 50 yds I had to move the windage 2 clicks right. That was it, right on from then on out. At 100 yds it was a little hard for me to figure out how to place the post in the rear sight to get it to hit (consistantly) where I was aiming, but all shots were in the black. I need more practice shooting with iron sights, but then again I've never shot with open sights before so I was very happy with the results of my efforts.

Not a single feed problem, and it never really got dirty. I have yet to clean it after the last 50 rounds all in a row. I was excited about posting first. I'll go get it and clean it in a minute. I had a little trouble getting the front hinge pin out the time I broke it down. But it came out easier and easier each time I cleaned it.

Overall I'm very happy with the quality of this weapon. The fit of all the parts is excellent. The finish is perfect. It shoots better than I can....so far. I was real concerned about not having a muzzle brake...you know what, you do not NEED one at all. My buddy has one on his Oly and it's much louder, plus I couldn't tell any difference in recoil or muzzle hop. I might get one eventually, but I'm not in any rush. They do LOOK cool, but like I said you don't NEED one.

The 30 round Sanchez mags I got from Steve (transam79) all functioned perfectly as did the 10 rounder the weapon came with. Steve was excellent to deal with. I'll be getting more mags from him in the future.

Thank you to everybody who posted answers to all my (not stupid) but questions. You helped me make a quality and educated decision. I'm very happy with my rifle.
Thanks again.
Link Posted: 12/21/2002 4:06:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Shot my new AR today 4 the 1st time
View Quote

man, there ain't nothing else like it, is it?

and steve L. is DA MAN for mags!

coltc.
Link Posted: 12/21/2002 4:46:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Went to the range and shot my 1st brand new AR.
View Quote

Oh well, you're screwed! AR's are nothing short of being addicted to crack. Next you'll be shopping for spare uppers, optics, tac slings, and other such goodies for your AR. Oh ya, lets not forget the fact that you'll turn into a Magazine jukie too.

Isn't owning an AR fun...[:D]
Link Posted: 12/21/2002 6:21:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Did the 5 shots clean, 5 shots clean for the 1st 50 rounds.
View Quote

Fantastic! Glad you had a great time and everything worked well for... just as it should. However, the above "breaking in" procedure is not required on chrome lined barrels. could have saved you a little elbox grease! It didnt hurt anything doing it... but it didnt do anything either.
Link Posted: 12/21/2002 6:54:58 PM EDT
[#4]
I was advised both ways here on this site, so, I figured I'd do it and it couldn't hurt.
Link Posted: 12/21/2002 7:04:51 PM EDT
[#5]
yes, once you shoot an AR,you never go back.  Off the subject a little, do you fly ducted fan or turbine?  I fly an f-4 phantom with twin OS 91's.
Link Posted: 12/22/2002 6:13:53 PM EDT
[#6]
bvmjethead,
question for you -- is your bushy the "blunt" no-muzzle-brake 16" lightweight bbl or is it an HBAR-type bbl?  did you order it from BM that way in one shot or did you mix and match individual parts as needed?

as you can tell i'm looking to get that exact configuration: 16" lightweight bbl (with no frontpiece) on what would otherwise be BM's M4 flattop config.

so this model in A3/flattop:
[url]http://www.bushmaster.com/shopping/weapons/pcwa2x14m4my.asp[/url]
but with the 16" lightweight bbl.  i think this is it:
[url]http://www.bushmaster.com/shopping/barrel-assemblies/pbbl16m4a.asp[/url]

hence my query, how did you get to the config you got?

thanks much,
the ar-jedi

Link Posted: 12/22/2002 6:23:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Ar-Jedi[url=http://www.bushmaster.com/shopping/weapons/pcwa3s16.asp] this [/url] is exactly what I got.
Link Posted: 12/22/2002 10:19:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Uh oh..he got a flattop.......kiss all your spare cash goodbye, [b]bvmjethead[/b], 'cause very soon, you're gonna be one add-on buyin' mofo!

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top