Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/21/2002 1:58:45 PM EDT

What's everyone's preferred hearing protection?  I always use the foam plugs, they seem to work well enough ...I'm not deaf yet.

How about the electronic products? ...any one had luck with those?
Link Posted: 12/21/2002 3:29:18 PM EDT
[#1]
[img]http://www.peltor.com/pics/tac6s.gif[/img]

Peltor Tac 6's, love em.  No more range shouting.
Link Posted: 12/21/2002 3:38:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
How about the electronic products? ...any one had luck with those?
View Quote

I spent a day on the line at the last Bulletfest next to a guy shooting a shorty M16 with a "blast enhancer" MB. I used electronic muffs and just about failed my hearing test at work 1 month later.
I now use both foam plugs and regular muffs.
YMMV
Link Posted: 12/21/2002 5:11:36 PM EDT
[#3]
I use Dillon HP1's.  They work great, and I don't spend the day shouting to others at the range.  
Link Posted: 12/21/2002 5:19:22 PM EDT
[#4]
I use custom molded plugs for most shooting of the less abusive calibers.   When dealing with louder situations, like trips to the local (and usually busy) covered rifle range which is louder than hell, I also add on a good pair of muffs for a total of almost 50 dB protection.

CJ

Link Posted: 12/21/2002 5:39:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Plugs for me. I can't stand banging muffs against buttstocks.

Damn, that sounded a little sick, in a sexual kinda way.

Link Posted: 12/21/2002 6:15:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I use custom molded plugs for most shooting of the less abusive calibers.   CJ

View Quote

[green][b] Hey CJ
Where did you get the molded plugs from ? I'd like to get a pair made . Thanks

[/green] [red]
MeRrY ChRiStMaS [<|:D>]
Jerry [/red][/b]
Link Posted: 12/21/2002 6:30:00 PM EDT
[#7]
There's probably someone who makes them for you at gun shows,  or visits the major local ranges in your area from time to time.   They do both in my area.   It only takes a few minutes for them to be made, and the procedure is not unpleasant, it's just a little strange feeling.

CJ
Link Posted: 12/21/2002 6:44:17 PM EDT
[#8]
muffs for the pistols and foam plugs for the rifles.  Both for a .50cal.

Mark
Link Posted: 12/21/2002 9:03:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Foam plugs only!  Can't stand those huge ear muffs.  Even then I only use them with larger calibers, 7.62x39 or 223.  Never need them for 22LR or my .38 Rossi lever.
Link Posted: 12/22/2002 12:44:57 AM EDT
[#10]
PRO-EARS PRO-TAC DLC...

NRR 20, good enough for outdoors, but I double plug if I shoot indoors.

[img]http://www.pro-ears.com/E-DSC.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 12/22/2002 1:34:13 AM EDT
[#11]
Peltor Tac6s &/or plugs for me too.
Link Posted: 12/22/2002 8:06:06 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Foam plugs only!  Can't stand those huge ear muffs.  Even then I only use them with larger calibers, 7.62x39 or 223.  Never need them for 22LR or my .38 Rossi lever.
View Quote

Are you saying that you don't use ANY protection when shooting your .22LR or .38 Rossi?

That is most unwise.  Although these rounds may not be painfully loud to you,  even a .22 out of a long barrel is loud enough that repeated exposure will damage your hearing over time.  And you don't get that back.  

If you want to be really sure, get a sound level meter with a peak hold function and use it when shooting.  If the meter reads more than 100 dB peaks, you should definitely have hearing protection.  I'd lower the threshold to 85 or 90 dB myself, because I really LIKE having sensitive, high performance ears.  Being a music lover, I want to continue to get maximum enjoyment out of that hobby.

I wear ear protection even when mowing the lawn or when operating almost any power tool, and I run a lot of them as I use them when I build guitars, which is my main line of work.

CJ

Link Posted: 12/22/2002 8:16:21 AM EDT
[#13]
Does anyone know anything about the ESP Silencers? (bottom of page) [url]http://www.espamerica.com/products.html[/url]
Link Posted: 12/22/2002 7:50:29 PM EDT
[#14]
cmjohnson, the .22 rifles don't even sound loud enough in the forest (which is were we shoot since we're camping) to need ear protection.  None of my friends use ear plugs for .22 out of a rifle, only pistol.  My new .357/.38 lever is a copy of the old Winchester (1892?) and it's just as quiet as the 22 I think.  Maybe my ears are already shot, (pun intended).

I hear you (another pun [:)]), I'll try and use it more often.
Link Posted: 12/22/2002 10:48:02 PM EDT
[#15]
The BEST hearing protection I've used for all
firearms have to be the USGI orange 3 lug hearing
plugs that come it the OD green plastic case.
(I'm sure SOMEONE will quote this)

If their good enough for 105mm howitzer crews thy're good enough for me! I've never had the slightest ringing in my ears after wearing these.
Under 5 bucks.

2nd best have to be plain Jane foam plugs.
@25 cents.

I always thought paying $130up for Peltor "tactical" ear muffs was just shy
of ridiculous.
Link Posted: 12/22/2002 11:07:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Peltor Tac 7's.
Link Posted: 12/23/2002 12:53:04 AM EDT
[#17]
I loved my Peltor 7's, but switched to Pro/Wolf Ears because the Wolf Ears compress the sound, never turning completely off like the Peltors, so no cut outs period - you can always hear at an appropriate level.

When it gets noisy, I go back to my Peltor 6's, and with the .50BMG I wear those plus ear plugs...
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top