Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/8/2002 9:46:40 PM EDT
Its been a few years but I thought I heard someone tell me of a conversion to make the AR operation like that of an AK. What I mean is a gas piston with rod attached to the bolt carrier to drive the bolt instead of the tube that blows gas directly into the reciever forcing the carrier/bolt back. I'm looking at building an AR and don't like the idea of all that gas fouling being blown direcly into the most critical moving parts of the gun. Seems like it was one of the major modified AR manufacturers (DPMS,OLYMPIC etc) not sure who.
Link Posted: 12/8/2002 10:15:52 PM EDT
[#1]
[url=http://www.zmweapons.com/index.htm]ZM Weapons[/url]
Link Posted: 12/8/2002 10:24:33 PM EDT
[#2]
There was something called the Rhino system. I think it was closer to the gas piston/push rod as used by the original AR180.
Link Posted: 12/9/2002 6:06:35 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm looking at building an AR and don't like the idea of all that gas fouling being blown direcly into the most critical moving parts of the gun.
View Quote

It's really not as big an issue as some would have you believe.  If you use the proper lubricant (CLP) the system will run rather clean.  Grease will cause the residue to stick aroung and make a mess.  The AR will be brought down MUCH faster by external debris entering the system than by powder fouling on a properly lubricated weapon.
Link Posted: 12/9/2002 5:40:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Think of it this way, the military uses the weapon, and is perhaps one of the most important contemporaty waepons in firarm history.  The military uses the weapon due to its quality of function, reliability, ease of maintenace, and the amount of time the weapon can be fired before maintance.  I am sure that there are military personnel here that can ellaborate better than I, but the real deal boils down to:  the gun is tough as balls, they are hard to destruct, maintenace is minimal, and if the military can use it in extreme combat situations where failure is not tolerated and cleaning the firearm every 1000 rounds is impossible....then it is good enough for me.
Link Posted: 12/9/2002 7:09:28 PM EDT
[#5]
I personally think you're looking for the answer to a question no one asked. The AR dosen't use a gas piston by design and all military ammo is loaded with the correct powder to work with the AR type of gas system. Adding components to your weapon will increase the chance of a malfunction ans complicate any trouble shooting you may have to do. The only reason anyone uses a gas piston is in a pistol conversion.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top