Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/4/2002 9:33:04 PM EDT
Hello, I've been reading the forums for a few days and I'm glad I found this site.  

I'm finally getting an AR15, and I've decided on the Bushmaster M4.  The lighter profile barrel and other features are conducive to my needs over the HBar 20".  I'll probably get the standard 20" flat-top HBar down the road though.  

I've seen about the magazines being USGI, so I'm set on that information.

On the ammo, what brands/type are cleanest and most accurate, regardless of price.  I only know about the M193 spec.

I also downloaded the 2 manuals from that site I saw on here- Manual Depot.  The cleaning looks a little involved compared to my other firearms.  What do I need specifically?  I noted using a pull-through for the barrel as opposed to a rod.  Does this apply to chrome barrels?  I think I might get the FP10 CLP.  Are there any cleaning products that are a no no on the ARs outside or other areas?  Not 409 or some wacky stuff  but commonly used gun cleaning stuff.

I appreciate any info you guys can give, as I'm excited over my future purchase.  I just want to keep the rifle in perfect condition like I do with all my belongings.
Link Posted: 12/4/2002 11:11:53 PM EDT
[#1]
I use only military surplus ammo in an AR, simply because that's what the rifle was designed to use. A bore snake is a good idea to clean the bore because there's NO chance of doing accidental damage to the rifling at the muzzle (not to mention it's a whole lot quicker/easier). I've used all kinds of stuff to clean mine, from gunscrubber to foamy engine brite to easy-off to plain-ol' hot water. If you use gunscrubber, however, 2 things:
1)Don't let it get on anything made of plastic
2)Wear safety glasses!!! (that stuff WILL get you in the eye if given half a chance, and the shit burns like a MF)

Enjoy your rifle, and welcome to the board!
Link Posted: 12/5/2002 8:19:28 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I'm finally getting an AR15, and I've decided on the Bushmaster M4.  The lighter profile barrel and other features are conducive to my needs over the HBar 20".  I'll probably get the standard 20" flat-top HBar down the road though.
View Quote

Nice choice.....I did the same. XM15-E2S-M4....I opted for the full 16" M4 profile (no brake). Not even six months after getting it and I'm already lining up for my next one  

On the ammo, what brands/type are cleanest and most accurate, regardless of price.  I only know about the M193 spec.
View Quote

I usually get the Federal boxed Lake City XM193 55gr FMJ from Ammoman. It's mil-spec, and I've got zero complaints about accuracy. Don't know if I'd call it the 'cleanest'...but it hasn't caused any problems in that regard. It's also fun shooting it at the indoor range I go to. Pretty nice bang and a big spout of fire. Generally, once I get past the second shot the entire row just stops shooting and checks things out.

I also downloaded the 2 manuals from that site I saw on here- Manual Depot.  The cleaning looks a little involved compared to my other firearms.  What do I need specifically?  I noted using a pull-through for the barrel as opposed to a rod.  Does this apply to chrome barrels?  I think I might get the FP10 CLP.  Are there any cleaning products that are a no no on the ARs outside or other areas?  Not 409 or some wacky stuff [:)]  but commonly used gun cleaning stuff.
View Quote

I went through exactly the same worries you're going through now. Don't worry....the cleaning seems a bit daunting at first, but it'll become second nature very quickly. Don't worry about tools...heck, you could run through the entire breakdown for cleaning using only a .223 round. That simple.

For cleaning supplies....stick with the major ones you hear about here...Hoppes, BreakFree, etc. The manual recommends as I recall some type of CLP, so I usually use BreakFree and haven't had trouble. For cleaning I use an OTIS kit....but I think the boresnake would probably be a better idea. It follows the same 'always cleaning along the path of the bullet' logic, but I think would be easier to use.

I appreciate any info you guys can give, as I'm excited over my future purchase.  I just want to keep the rifle in perfect condition like I do with all my belongings.
View Quote

Congrats! Welcome to the addiction. Now when you get it, shoot the hell out of it and post pics!
Link Posted: 12/5/2002 9:26:36 AM EDT
[#3]
congrats !! [8d] the cleaning thing is easy you lee a pro in no time...as far as ammo i have 2...rra 16" m4 and a buchmaster 20" hbar...have had excellent luck with the south african 300 rd battlepacks and the winchester white box bulk packs that are either packed 40/50 rds....cheap/fairly accurate/easily avail...the winchester i buy at walmart/bass pro shops...there is some brass dust in the box with the winchester but from my experience and what ive heard from others it causes no problems...i bought a couple boxes last week though and it was clean/no brass dust..maybe they clean it b4 it goes out the door now...anyway have fun !
Link Posted: 12/5/2002 3:31:36 PM EDT
[#4]
For the most accurate and clean ammo that will fragment is the 75 grain TAP ammo for a 1/7 twist barrel or 69 grain Gold Medal ammo for a 1/9 barrel.
Link Posted: 12/5/2002 8:59:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for all the replies!  I'm going to a good dealer here locally (AZ) and checking into their prices.  I may still have to order it, but I'm not sure how much the shipping will be (more than likely from Ohio).  Then there's the paperwork fee.  I just don't want to wait too long [:D]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top