Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 11/18/2002 4:58:03 AM EDT
This absurd piece of legislation has been on my mind since I really learned about it around 4 years ago when I got my first Glock, and even more so since becoming interested in AR-15s a few years ago. While I was a bit disappointed in having to pay a steep price for a 15 round G22 mag, I took comfort in the fact that the ban had a sunset provision. Even more than my own personal desire to have reasonably priced mags (which is not terribly urgent... I've probably got more than I really need already), I just can't stand a law being on the books that points this country in the wrong direction like this. I decided long ago that when the time came, I would do everything I could to fight for the demise of this ban.

Well, that time is NOW! I have registered the domain www.awbansunset.com, with the intention of setting up a centralized base of operations for defeating the renewal of the ban. I need help though! I've already personally e-mailed a couple of select people from the forum here regarding this, and am now putting out a call to the masses. Though the site is still in the initial planning stages, I intend to have sections on letter writing (sample letters and tips on writing to your Congressmen), general info on the ban, news, message boards, downloadable materials (posters, flyers, etc.), and anything else that will help our efforts.

Here's what I am thinking of:

Writers/Organizers – We need to assemble a library of sample letters that people can read and use to help with constructing their own letters. Also, essays on the ban, its effects (or lack thereof), and why it should not be renewed would be welcome, as would ideas on other site content. I'm looking for a small handful of "core contributors", people who possess good writing skills and are as fanatical about the demise of the AW Ban as I am.

News Gatherers – Constantly be on the lookout for any news related to the ban, and let us know so we can spread the word.

Online Promoters – ANYONE can help here... add this site to your sig, mention it on other message boards whenever the topic comes up, etc. Make sure every single gun owner you come across knows about the sunsetting of the ban, and encourage them to write their Congressmen.

Local Distributor of Materials – As posted in a previous thread, I'm in the process of designing a poster promoting awareness of the ban. Other materials will come later. We'll need people in every part of the country to post these in shops and shooting ranges (with permission, of course).

Note, I am paying for hosting and domain name, and there will be no revenue from ads, sponsors, etc... this will not be a money making site. It is strictly a grass roots campaign to get rid of a crappy law!

Stop just grumbling about whether or not the ban will sunset without renewal... do something about it! Who's with me?

--Mike
Link Posted: 11/18/2002 5:08:12 AM EDT
Good work mcaswell. If we do nothing, nothing will happen. This is something everyone should support.
Link Posted: 11/18/2002 5:46:11 AM EDT
I'm in. I just bought a pre-ban stripped lower. Just because it was made in a certain year and used to be a part of another gun, I paid six times more than the hunk of aluminum is really worth. I also own a Glock 21 with a 10-round magazine. I could have 3 more rounds for $100. What I'm saying is I'm motivated to see this thing go.
Link Posted: 11/18/2002 6:56:57 AM EDT
Hey there... I have been advocating the sunsetting of the '94 Omnibus Crime Bill for quite some time, and have been attempting to motivate others to join the cause on AR15.COM and other sites. I think this grassroots campaign is exactly what we need.

I have some great ideas and can help considerably. I would be happy to share in the cost and help in any way possible. I work as an IT professional, web stuff specifically, and have my own domain at stevesweb.com. I also write quite a bit. I want to see victory on this issue in 2004 or before. Some key ideas:

We need an automatic form mailer to send messages to the Congress and President.

We need multiple form letters for folks to paste, stick a stamp on, and mail.

We need small business cards with the website address and our mantra, so we can leave these everywhere we go.

We must be centrist in our approach, so that we can address the enthusiast's concerns, and stave off attacks from the left at the same time.

We need to organize names and address from folks who visit the site in order to show the large number of sunset supporters in each district. This will be critical when the chips are down.

It would be great if we could get NRA sponsorship (just an endorsement, not money), because they have the big name. We should not stop there; we need to solicit endorsements from any sporting organizations we can muster.

We need to be vigilant, day and night, and get the word out EVERYWHERE about this ban and the sunset clause. Just as you only found out four years ago when you purchased that Glock, many people are still unaware of this kooky piece of legislation and its ability to sunset.

In short, I am with you.

Steve
Link Posted: 11/18/2002 1:22:53 PM EDT
Count me in! I'm more than happy to help in any way I can. I've already been thinking about the letter writing side of it. Let us know when you have something up on that site and it will definately go in my Sig.
Link Posted: 11/18/2002 5:15:23 PM EDT
I am in!

If you need anything researched, or a few articles written, IM me with the topics.

mjp
Link Posted: 11/18/2002 6:29:25 PM EDT
I'm in, wht can I do for you?
SorryOciffer
Link Posted: 11/18/2002 6:52:37 PM EDT
I'm in.

I exhibit at Colorado Springs, CO Gunshows and some others. I would be glad to add a display and have handout cards for the site.

Likewise there are many state level gun clubs and organizations which have web sites which could be used in a web ring or banner exchange.

Likewise I have a friend who is a flash/shockwave master who I think might be interested in doing some great anti-ban propaganda blitzes
Link Posted: 11/18/2002 7:01:59 PM EDT
Many thanks for all the responses... I will be contacting via e-mail or IM.

--Mike
Link Posted: 11/18/2002 7:05:09 PM EDT
I'm in. I am not very knowledgeable with a computer but am willing to do everything I can to help.

Wipeout
Link Posted: 11/18/2002 7:05:33 PM EDT
I'm proficient with Photoshop if you need some help in the graphics department.
Link Posted: 11/18/2002 7:11:09 PM EDT
Actually, here's a better way to handle this... anyone interested in getting involved, please e-mail me at mike@controlthis.org (rather than me trying to send IMs everytime there is a new post here!).

Thanks!

--Mike
Link Posted: 11/19/2002 12:33:48 AM EDT
Mike,
You have email. Count me in as writer/news gatherer.
Chris
Louisville KY
Link Posted: 11/19/2002 3:51:45 AM EDT
Here is a bump and a link to the thread I put on the FALFILES linking to this.
www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=56650

SorryOciffer
Link Posted: 11/19/2002 5:38:17 AM EDT
Im in. I will help in anyway that I can.

KC
Link Posted: 11/19/2002 2:56:08 PM EDT
Way to take charge Mike. I want to help where I can. Let me know when the poster is completed and I'll see they get distributed in my area.
Link Posted: 11/19/2002 6:44:34 PM EDT
You may want to think about talking to an ick... dare I say it... lawyer to draw this up as a special interest / charitable tax exempt. They could help you draw up an charter for your "special interest" group and then going for 401c tax exempt status. That way if you handle donations or anything like that it will keep everything nice, tidy and legal. Having this in place will also make it easier to get donations and business support.

Just a thought. Might be some CPA's on the board who could offer some suggestions as well.

Good luck...

The Yuckman
Link Posted: 11/20/2002 5:53:09 AM EDT
Warning, this is a little long. I know it is a tad off topic, but it is relevant to the thread, I promise!
I had to post regarding a conversation I had with my wife last night. I'm trying to put together some letters to congress-folk and such. In doing so I'm attempting to document the inconsistencies and mis-information/ direction used by the anti gun groups (Brady Campaign, etc.), especially as it pertains to the AW ban.
I had managed to address a few of the specifics in a memo style document and asked my wife to read it for me. I thought she would be a great person to bounce these types of ideas off of since she is not anti-gun, but at the same time she is not into guns. This being the case she is fairly uneducated in gun politics.
I couldn't have been more correct. We sat up last night "discussing" heOk, so this is getting kind of long...here's the punch line. After an hour and a half I finally figured out that she had no idea that a semiautomatic weapon is not a machine gun! I finally ended up pulling out my HK USP, handing it to her, and telling her that it was a semiautomatic firearm. I guess I finally got the point regarding full-auto imagery across, eh?
Once she finally understood what I was talking about her attitude changed completely! She started telling me how we needed to get this information out to the general public.
I think I've created a monster!
Top Top