Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 11/18/2002 1:03:49 AM EDT
I'd like to eventually get a good defensive carbine, but the sunny state forbids every variation of the AR-15 (with the exception of the L&G lower that uses a fixed magazine). I want to keep things legal, and so far it looks like it's going to be the H&K SL8-1, H&K USC, or the Ruger Mini-14. What would you suggest?
Link Posted: 11/18/2002 1:09:54 AM EDT
H&K SL8-1 and H&K USC are not legal, sorry man.
Link Posted: 11/18/2002 1:46:33 AM EDT
The best alternative is to move on out of California. Move to a free state. This is not to sound sarcastic, but as you already know California is a bit silly with all of the gun laws.

Max
Link Posted: 11/18/2002 2:05:33 AM EDT
Link Posted: 11/18/2002 5:40:39 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Skammy:

I'm not too familiar with the cali laws, but I thought the sl8 was legal everywhere. Thumbhole stock and a 10 round mag.
Link Posted: 11/18/2002 1:06:30 PM EDT
www.gogogadgets.net claims to have an AR-15 alternative.

Anyone have experience with it ?
Link Posted: 11/18/2002 3:25:49 PM EDT
Just called Cal DOJ, its true. Go Go Gadget FAB 10 is legal. They've confirm it.
Link Posted: 11/18/2002 4:20:11 PM EDT

Originally Posted By SMV:

Originally Posted By Skammy:

I'm not too familiar with the cali laws, but I thought the sl8 was legal everywhere. Thumbhole stock and a 10 round mag.

Effective January 1, 2000, the definition of "assault weapon" also includes any of the following: (1) A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has the capacity to accept a detachable magazine and any one of the following: (A) A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon. (B) A thumbhole stock. (C) A folding or telescoping stock. (D) A grenade launcher or flare launcher. (E) A flash suppressor. (F) A forward pistol grip. (2) A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has a fixed magazine with the capacity to accept more than 10 rounds. (3) A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has an overall length of less than 30 inches.
Link Posted: 11/18/2002 4:57:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/18/2002 9:04:37 PM EDT by slipjoint]
This has been discussed at length, so to aid those "slightly behind", here are the discussions:

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=12&t=142174&w=searchPop

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=4&t=142055&w=searchPop

I personally own one, and while it's essentially a neutered AR, is still a lot of fun to shoot. Also, since it is NOT an "Assault Rifle" by the CA DOJ's definition, you are free to put whatever preban accessories you deem necessary for your rifle.

It's a bit more expensive than any other "normal" lower you can find in SGN or here in EE but ... hey ... it's either the DOJ's way or the highway ...
Link Posted: 11/18/2002 8:26:47 PM EDT
You have my pity. Being a native resident of the PRK, I was suppressed for many years. I thank God for the day I was liberated and moved to beautiful, free Nevada, where gun laws abound like the spotted owl--practically non-existant. Good luck to you!
Link Posted: 11/19/2002 11:51:00 AM EDT
Thanks for all the information. Looks like that lower is the only way to go if I am to get an AR-15. That Robarm California carbine is very tempting as well, since I'm pretty sure my massive hands could reach the trigger.

I know California's anti-gun laws are by far the worst of any state, but I have specific obligations that keep me here. But I'm glad everyone else has the freedom to play with whatever toys they want to.

Thanks again.
Link Posted: 11/19/2002 2:02:34 PM EDT

Originally Posted By S2nd:
Thanks for all the information. Looks like that lower is the only way to go if I am to get an AR-15. That Robarm California carbine is very tempting as well, since I'm pretty sure my massive hands could reach the trigger.

I know California's anti-gun laws are by far the worst of any state, but I have specific obligations that keep me here. But I'm glad everyone else has the freedom to play with whatever toys they want to.

Thanks again.

you are fellow Kaliban now!!
Link Posted: 11/19/2002 3:38:12 PM EDT
I have several ar's which I love, I also have several mini-14's. If one of these is legal and ar's are not, go with it. I usually get 2-3" groups out of my mini-14 (I know, not as good as an ar-15) but they are VERY reliable and if you can get preban mags they are definitely good enough to trust you family's safety with. The only drawback is that the standard mini-14 needs a $50 part to allow you to mount a scope or optic system to it. If you have any specific questions, just e-mail me and I 'll do my best.
Top Top