Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 11/16/2002 11:26:40 AM EDT

My brother and I was considering going wild boar hunting this year but I was informed recently by those running the quide service there, that an AR-15 wasn't recommended. I was wondering if anyone here has any insight on this.
Link Posted: 11/16/2002 11:39:26 AM EDT
I definetly reccomend something bigger. I shot a boar with a .22-250 once, hit both lungs and the heart and it just stood there, looked att us, and charged. If you are going to be on the ground with these things go BIG. We bought a .45-70 lever action, that definetly does the job. It can be doen with an AR15 but its definetly not reccomended I think, especially by guide services since they don't know your proficiency with your rifle.
Link Posted: 11/16/2002 12:46:24 PM EDT
Thanks Hellrider

The quides legs are full of scars from these things, says he looses several tracking dogs a year to them. Says the woods are full of um down in Tennesee. They want to put us in tree stands "For our safey". I have no experience with them but damn its just a wild pig right?
Link Posted: 11/16/2002 2:50:23 PM EDT

Originally Posted By shard:
Thanks Hellrider

...but damn its just a wild pig right?

Famous last words.
Link Posted: 11/16/2002 8:30:34 PM EDT
I have shot a pile of hogs with the AR-15 and never had a problem putting them down. However, the AR's were chambered in 44 Mag, 440 CorBon, 50AE and .458 SOCOM. ;-)

Link Posted: 11/17/2002 6:16:00 AM EDT
I'm going boar hunting next month for the first time also. I was going to use my M1A scout rifle in .308. That should be enough bullet for a boar right?
Link Posted: 11/17/2002 6:23:46 AM EDT
.308 is plenty for boar. I have shot more feral hogs with a .22 LR than anything else but that is usually from a blind or vehicle, never from the ground. Usually a double-tap to the head between the ear and eye. Never had one run more than 20 yds after that.

I have also shot several from the ground with a .45 acp and .357 SIG but I always make sure of a nearby tree with low branches to easily escape a charge first.

As with any form of hunting, shot placement is important, but more so with an animal that can and sometimes do fight back.

I plan on taking a couple of hogs next week while deer hunting.
Link Posted: 11/18/2002 3:47:47 AM EDT
Feral hogs are are the .223 of the .223/.308 debate.

Russian Wild Boar will teach you the difference between cover and concealment.

Dave S
Link Posted: 11/18/2002 3:52:59 AM EDT
Down here in south west Florida we just use a 22 mag. O yea with a 44 black hawk on our sides.
Link Posted: 11/18/2002 5:18:56 AM EDT
I use an M1 Garand, plenty of power, 8 shots on tap with quick reloads. Down in southern misssouri I would be a bit afraid to use a .223 even though I use my AR for deer hunting.
There is a difference in the farmers cute lil piggies and an up to 400lb feral/russian crossbeed.
Link Posted: 11/18/2002 5:44:51 AM EDT
Not to hijack the thread but has anyone hunted them with a spear? i have a Cold steel boar speer i have been wanting to try out.
Link Posted: 11/18/2002 8:08:53 AM EDT

Originally Posted By 308wood:
Not to hijack the thread but has anyone hunted them with a spear? i have a Cold steel boar speer i have been wanting to try out.

[in my best Lawrence voice]
YOU SOOOOOO CRAAAZZZZZYYYYY!
Link Posted: 11/18/2002 8:32:49 AM EDT
A buddy of mine took a spear out on a hog hunt that I took him on. He didn't get to use it.

Most people using knives and spears, etc. use them with dogs holding the hog down.

I have taken several hogs with a .223. With the right shot placement and bullet combination, it will do. Personally, I prefer the Winchester Power Points over FMJ ammo.

It depends on your hunting style. If you are going to whack a hog out from under a feeder at 50 yards with a scoped rifle and you will be using a good rest, a .22LR would work. If you will be crawling under brush to follow their trails in the dark, I would want a 12ga with slugs and a dedicated weapon light.

Shot placement is everything.
Link Posted: 11/18/2002 8:46:07 AM EDT
Myth

You can kill anything with an AR right up to a Moose and I don't meant after it had run for 200 yards,right then.

All the people I have every met that thing of 5.56mm as "too small" are hunter types,the same type that make up most of the NRA and say nobody needs and AR anyway.
These guy don't want to mess up the head or something so they try to shoot a more percarious spot.

Just shoot the damn thing in the head and tell the good'ol boys the leave the crude bolt guns in the back window of their truck.
Link Posted: 11/18/2002 8:49:00 AM EDT

Originally Posted By 308wood:

Go right ahead big guy,don't forget the first aid kit.
Link Posted: 11/18/2002 2:05:08 PM EDT
.223 will kill them deader than a hammer. Problem is that most people think a hog is like a deer. Not true, the important stuff is much more forward located on a hog and the guts take up a lot of space.

I started shooting hogs more forward of the shoulder and sucess rates have soared.

Just lay the bullet in what would be the neck (if a hog really had a neck) and you will see them drop in their tracks.
Link Posted: 11/18/2002 3:15:44 PM EDT
do you guys just take one shot or try and shoot the thing as it's running too.
Link Posted: 11/18/2002 3:48:01 PM EDT
Thanks for the responces

My bother Mike has an AR-10, but I am I guess, as they say, "Out of Luck" with my little (brand new) Bushmaster Varminter.
Link Posted: 11/18/2002 4:32:15 PM EDT
C_Brooks
I happen to be one of those "hunter types" and take offense at your statement. There are very good reasons for NOT taking head shots on animals. Have you ever seen a deer with it`s mouth/nose shot off left to slowly starve to death? I have. It`s not a pretty sight. When you are shooting an animal, you should take the shot with the best odds, which is definitely NOT a head shot. It is a shot to the heart/lung region. This will kill the animal very quickly, even with a .223 bullet. It`s very hard for an animal to survive with a hole in it`s lungs and/or heart. The object in hunting is to KILL the animal, not blow it`s head off. In war, it is ok to wound your opponent, however, it is not acceptable in hunting. An I for one, definitely need my black rifles! Maybe we should be a little more tolerant of each other? @
Link Posted: 11/18/2002 4:52:24 PM EDT

One of our members, TRG, has been hunting wild boars with his Bushy and SA FMJ 55 grains 223, and he has very good luck with them. Like a member just mentioned, it also has to do with shot placements.
IMO, it would be better to hunt with pre-ban
AR15 rifle, because you can have bayonet for CQB with the hog.
Link Posted: 11/18/2002 5:41:14 PM EDT
Remember wild boars can differ quite a bit in size. From peccaries to feral russians (razorbacks) Dress accordingly.
Link Posted: 11/18/2002 6:10:43 PM EDT

Originally Posted By C_Brooks:
Myth

You can kill anything with an AR right up to a Moose and I don't meant after it had run for 200 yards,right then.

All the people I have every met that thing of 5.56mm as "too small" are hunter types,the same type that make up most of the NRA and say nobody needs and AR anyway.
These guy don't want to mess up the head or something so they try to shoot a more percarious spot.

Just shoot the damn thing in the head and tell the good'ol boys the leave the crude bolt guns in the back window of their truck.

You are cruel and not a Hunter because any one with common sense would use a proper caliber, A moose, youre cold blooded,.
GG
Link Posted: 11/18/2002 8:10:27 PM EDT
shard
Where in Tennessee is a good place to hunt these things (wild hogs)? Are they in Alabama. I am not familiar. I have heard a lot of people hunt them in Texas.

Anyone chime in. It sounds like something I would like.

Turbo5
Link Posted: 11/19/2002 10:46:33 AM EDT
Ok your guys,I'm sorry.

I'm gon'a buy a black powder upper and go kill stuff the right way.LOL!
Link Posted: 11/19/2002 5:21:01 PM EDT
turbo

Im not to sure, Im kinda just tagging along. Theres tons of places on the internet about it though. By what I've gathered the hellspawn demon piggies are all over the place. Personally I'm gonna stick with blackbirds, and the occasional kama-kazi sparrow until I can save for a AR-10 or Sako TRG-22, (Of which I would trade my right arm for).
Link Posted: 11/19/2002 7:33:39 PM EDT

Originally Posted By DaveS:
Feral hogs are are the .223 of the .223/.308 debate.

Russian Wild Boar will teach you the difference between cover and concealment.

Dave S

You got that shit right! I took a Russian wild boar with a 1911 a couple of years ago. I'm glad I was able to limit the bastard's access to me! It's like comparing a poodle to a Rott.

One of the other guys on the hunt took one with a very big Bowie knife. He literally chased the hog and tackled it from behind, impailing it to the ground with the knife, much like an insect specimen. Marines are crazy!
Link Posted: 11/19/2002 8:48:57 PM EDT
The hogs out here are domestic (sp) that have gotten loose in the wildlife refuge and have taken the joint over. Can't see very good,but they can smell, we sneak up and get'um right behind the ear,10/22 style (shotgun with slug/buck also works)...If the guide uses dogs, I cant imagine you needing an 308 for up-close work. Another option would be to take the AR and leave the guide.
Link Posted: 11/19/2002 11:50:03 PM EDT
Does anyone here know of decent pig hunting grounds in California? Supposedly we are being over-run by porkers, but I haven't seen snout #1 yet.

Public land?
Top Top