Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 11/12/2002 8:15:35 PM EDT
I know it's been talked about here before but I can't seem to find the "search" option on the forum. What is the closest AR15 a civilian can buy that to military issue? I'm new to ARs and I figure the standard military issue specs would be a good place to start. So far I think I've narrowed it down to either the Bushmaster XM15 E2S M4 Type 16in Carbine or the XM15 E2S Shorty A3 16" Rifle from the homework I've done, but I'd like to know the military specs to see the differences from what I've spec'd out.... I'm mainly going to use it for plinking and recreational range use (until I really get bitten by the AR bug). This board must get tired of newcomer questions like this all the time. I apologize. :)

Link Posted: 11/12/2002 8:29:50 PM EDT
Any preban forged A2 configured AR15 lower with an A2 upper and a 20 inch HBAR.

That is as close as you are going to get to one since FN does not sell an AR15 and Clots either have blocks or the wrong sized holes or are A1 lowers.

If you are going postban then and you want a complete rifle that is close to a current military issue M16A2 then go with a Bushmaster or Armalite. They have chromed barrels.
Link Posted: 11/13/2002 7:32:55 AM EDT
Closest you can come to an issue rifle by buying a post-ban rifle is Bushmaster

1) either their 20" HBAR (with A2 fixed carryhandle)

2) or their M4 clone

With a post-ban you will be giving up the bayonet lug and the flash suppressor.

The Bushmaster 20" HBAR will come close - but to get it even closer you'll need to sent to to Kurts Kustom (in the industry section). SO he can
1) Reprofile that barrel to the proper govt A2 specification (it will make the barrel a full pound lighter - it will feel MUCH better).

2) have him add his A2 'tac' brake. It looks very much like the A2 flash suppressor - only its a muzzle brake the the muzzle end has a much smaller hole.

The Bushy M4 will look very much like the Military M4 - the only things that will be different is the Bushy M4's stock won't collapse (as the military one will); and the muzzle brake on the Bushy M4 doesn't look like the military Flash suppressor.

Again send it to Kurt, and for $90 he'll remove that horrible Mini-Y comp brake and replace it with his A3 brake (a longer version of the A2 brake for 14.5" barrels). I've got one on my M4 and I love the brake.

Why is Bushmaster the closest to the mil-spec? Here is why:
1) They HAVE produced weapons for the US Army in the past as well as produced rifles for civilians, only Colt shares that distinction (FN doesn't sell to the public).

2) Bushmaster uses the Mil-spec 4150 steel in thier barrels (again only Colt & FN do this)

3) Bushmaster fully chrome lines their chambers & bores (Colt no longer chrome lines the bores of their civilian rifles)

4) Bushmaster uses the proper mil-spec sized pins (Colt doesn't)

5) Bushmaster has the front take down pin like the military rifles (not a double screw do-hicky that Colt sometimes uses).

6) Bushmaster uses the proper A2 trapoor on the stock (not the flimsy/cheap plastic version that Colt has been using lately).

Armalite also comes close - but they don't use the proper barrel steel, have never supplied the military with weapons (only match rifles), and use injection molded handguards instead of the mil-spec compression molded.
Link Posted: 11/13/2002 10:04:12 AM EDT
With the exception of the M4, military M16's have 20" barrels, not 16". You for dern sure don't need a bayonet lug, or a flash hider.
Link Posted: 11/13/2002 10:08:46 AM EDT
Go with what Forest have posted, he is right on with the spec.

Link Posted: 11/13/2002 11:18:18 AM EDT

Originally Posted By OldTiger:
With the exception of the M4, military M16's have 20" barrels, not 16". You for dern sure don't need a bayonet lug, or a flash hider.

M4s dont even have 16" barrels - their barrels are 14.5" (NFA doesn't apply to the US Military).
Link Posted: 11/13/2002 11:42:26 AM EDT
Since you want the M16 vs. the M4 (20" vs. 14.5") you could buy Bushmaster's government profile upper, it is thinner under the handguards vs. the HBAR which is thicker. Then just buy a mil-spec lower and your set.
Link Posted: 11/13/2002 11:58:35 AM EDT
Top Top