Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/29/2002 3:52:08 PM EDT
 My brother and I are getting AR's.  I settled on the Bushmaster shorty and my brother wanted the 20 incher (both NIB post ban A3 uppers).  I have been pricing them at the local (eastern KS western MO) establishments (about $800 a piece give or take).  Seems that these are going to be order guns as they are not in stock.

However a local store has a pair of 20 inch armalites with A3  uppers and muzzle brakes that he will sell for $1600 for the pair.  I have done so much reading on the Bushy that I am not up to speed on the Armalites.  These are marked "eagle arms div." or some such thing in addition to armalite.  What is the quality of Armalite?

Thanks much for helping out a !

Jeff Deane
Link Posted: 10/29/2002 4:06:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Eagle Arms is the "value" division of Armalite.  The differences are that the Eagle will not have chrome lining in the bore and the finish will be slightly different from the Armalites.  Otherwise, it will be a good rifle.  Bushmasters and regular Armalites come standard with the chrome lining which will increase the life of the barrel and make cleaning easier.  The non-lined barrel, however, will give you slightly better accuracy.  You can always get a new barrel or a new complete upper later on, but it is up to you.
Link Posted: 10/29/2002 4:51:44 PM EDT
[#2]
I recently picked up an Armalite M15A4. I'm very happy with it. It consistantly shoots 1/2-3/8" groups at 100 yards with reloads. Has a real nice trigger too. I dont think you'll be disappointed.
Link Posted: 10/29/2002 5:03:23 PM EDT
[#3]
The surest way to figure out which is whis is that the ArmaLites have a lifetime warantee for the orig owner...Eagle has a 1 yr I believe...
Link Posted: 10/29/2002 5:22:49 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
 My brother and I are getting AR's.  I settled on the Bushmaster shorty and my brother wanted the 20 incher (both NIB post ban A3 uppers).  I have been pricing them at the local (eastern KS western MO) establishments (about $800 a piece give or take).  Seems that these are going to be order guns as they are not in stock.

However a local store has a pair of 20 inch armalites with A3  uppers and muzzle brakes that he will sell for $1600 for the pair.  I have done so much reading on the Bushy that I am not up to speed on the Armalites.  These are marked "eagle arms div." or some such thing in addition to armalite.  What is the quality of Armalite?

Thanks much for helping out a !

Jeff Deane

First, the ArmaLite/Eagle Arms flattops are A4, not A3, in keeping with the military designation of the A4 as a flattop.

Second, if they are Eagle Arms Division of ArmaLites, the $1600 is too much.  You should be able to get the pair for $1400 or so.

Don't get me wrong.  I will only buy ArmaLites and Eagle Arms, but this guy has them overpriced.  As knightone mentioned, the barrel is not chrome lined (you could replace it with a chrome lined barrel later and the unlined is more accurate, just as he said) and only a one year warranty.  It is, however, an excellent rifle and you would not regret it, but you can get the ArmaLite brand from some dealers for the same price.

I am not knocking Bushmaster, especially now, as they do make a good rifle, and I will support the hell out of them, even with donations, but my rifle purchase money goes to ArmaLite.
Link Posted: 10/29/2002 5:45:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks guys.  I'm sticking with the Bushmaster I had already researched thanks to you guys.

Jeff
Link Posted: 10/29/2002 7:25:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Good choice.  Larry G's right, that's a bit too much for Eagle Arms rifles.  The dealer was probably hoping to catch a very profitable sale trying to talk them up as true, full fledged, Armalite rifles.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top