Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/22/2002 5:53:29 AM EDT
I have a scanned image of a 25 meter M16A2 zero target and am having trouble scaling it to print it.  Working from memory, I believe the grid lines are 1cm apart, making the circle inside the silhouette 4cm.  Anyone have an original handy to check my work?
Link Posted: 10/22/2002 6:20:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Yes I do. Will check tonight when I get home.
Link Posted: 10/22/2002 6:26:30 AM EDT
[#2]
You are correct - circle should be 4CM in diameter.  If you saved it as a .JPEG you shouldn't have any problems scaling it - however I find .BMP usually gets me in trouble.
Link Posted: 10/22/2002 6:51:23 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks.  I am making a composite target with several silhouettes on it to save me some range walk time, and they looked huge.  Took a ruler to them and what I thought was a proper zero target and it turns out that the zero target I've been printing off for years is only 75% the size of the proper target.  Can't hurt to be too accurate, can it?
Link Posted: 10/22/2002 9:49:57 AM EDT
[#4]
LOL! I agree completely.  On The Maryland AR-15 Shooters SIte there are two versions of the Alt C Qualification Course.  One version has the correct militay sized targets for 50 & 100 yards - the other (modified) has smaller versions for those ranges.  The 'Modified' version was so you could print the taret on four 8.5"x11" sheets of paper (instead of two 8.5x11's and two 8.5"x14" sheets).  The Army changed the scaling factor from the 100M (and shorter) targets to the 150M (and longer targets) [different scaling factors are probably due to eye curvature]- I just used the same scaling factor for all.

So my 'Modified' version is a little tougher than the real military one - suck it up and keep shooting ! ;)

BTW also at www.MD-AR15.com there is a target that contains four of the 25M zeroing targets on a single 8.5"x11" sheet.  They are scaled for use at 25 YARDS - so they are a bit smaller than the 25 METER version.  This is called the "Marksman's Challenge" target.  I also have another 25 Yard "Practice Target" with two 150M silloughets and several (5 or 6?) 300M silloughets (same as the 25m zeroing target).  This too prints out on a 8.5"x11" sheet of paper.  If you have a scope you can put it at 50 yards for some 300M/600M practice!
Link Posted: 10/22/2002 10:56:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Where exactly are these targets?

Thanks
gcp
Link Posted: 10/22/2002 11:39:38 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Where exactly are these targets?

In either case you have to start at The Maryland AR-15 Shooters Site (www.MD-AR15.com).

Now if you are a member, sign in.  Then go to the Documents section.  Open the "Targets" folder and select the ones you want to download.

If you are not a member (WHY NOT!?) then go to the AR Manuals section.  Follow the link to the off-site Manual Depot.  From the first menu you can select Targets (not as many options - but all the ones I discussed should be there).
Link Posted: 10/22/2002 4:57:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Thank you Forest, I'll givem a shot.....or two :-))
gcp
Link Posted: 10/22/2002 7:00:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Does the M4 25meter target also have a 4cm circle or is the circle of a different size because of the shorter sight radius?
Link Posted: 10/22/2002 8:36:17 PM EDT
[#9]
The "25 METER ZEROING TARGET" has two sides, one marked "M16A2/M16A4", and the other, "M4 CARBINE".

On the "M16A2/M16A4" side, the center circle is 4-cm, and the grid squares are 1-cm x 1-cm.

On the "M4 CARBINE" side, the center circle is 4-cm, and the grid squares are 1.35-cm wide x 1.25-cm high.

In case you're getting ready to send a reply to correct me, my source for this information is an actual target from the stack of zeroing targets that I brought back from our last unit range.  

I measured the circle and grid squares with a ruler.

Chris
Link Posted: 10/23/2002 7:59:46 AM EDT
[#10]
MRCR is right about the sizes.  The grid patterns change because the change in sight radius changes how much the adjusment changes the impact.

The 4cm cicle is ALWAYS the same.  Why?  Because the Army expects its troops to be able to consistantly hit a 6moa target.  The 4cm circle represents a 6moa area center-mass on the target.

While in qualifying a hit anywhere on the target is counted - it is expected that all your shots should be in the circle.

Note that Alt Course 'C' all the center-mass circles are 4CM (or smaller if your shooting the 25 yard or 50' versions) no matter the target size.

BTW if you can come to a MD AR-15 Shoot sometime I hand out a doublesided 25M & 50 Yard targets (one side M16A2, other is M4) on cardstock.  You can use it for zeroing or photocopying....
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top