Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 10/19/2002 5:11:48 PM EDT
For those of you that own RRA lowers/complete rifles, are there any mags out there (besides the vaunted GI ones) that your rifles prefer? What about mags that absolutely would not function? Even if your rifle likes USA mags, I'd like to hear about it. Your secret will be safe with me.
-Hobbit
Link Posted: 10/19/2002 7:23:10 PM EDT
Thats all I have are usgi 20's and 30's and they work great.
Link Posted: 10/19/2002 8:19:09 PM EDT
I've got an rra lower.It has ZERO tolerance for usa mags. Thermolds work good and orlites and of course usgi.
Link Posted: 10/20/2002 11:44:11 AM EDT
USA mags are crap. Save yourdelf a lot of greif and just pick up some new or used USGI mags. They don't cost THAT much, and they're well worth the price, IMO.
Link Posted: 10/20/2002 12:25:32 PM EDT
Thanks for the info. I'm set on USGI mags, but variety is the spice of life... any excuse to buy new mags.
More insights, anyone?
Link Posted: 10/20/2002 3:51:15 PM EDT
USA Magazines DO NOT drop free from my RRA lower. They also fit VERY tight. I have one USA mag that came with my gun and I went out and bought USGI mags cause they work great with my RRA lower!

CRC
Link Posted: 10/20/2002 4:50:40 PM EDT
Orlites are OK, hit and miss with my RRA lower. You can always sand them down to drop free. It's still disturbing to see the mag lips spread apart when fully loaded. Definately wouldn't want to leave them loaded.
Link Posted: 10/21/2002 9:47:38 AM EDT
Hey Hobbit

I have/use USGIs, Orlites, and Thermolds for my RRA M4. All work great.

I did have one thermold that refused to cooperate though. The damn thing wouldn't feed properly and it caused jams consistently. Ammo wasn't the problem either. The other three thermolds I have work great though. Make sure you get the US made Thermolds besides the Canadian ones (if you didn't know). And of course, stay the hell away from USA mags.

I think the USGI 30s (green followers) are the best, although I've never seen too many problems in the other therms or orlites I have.

I wish they made AR mags like AK mags- AK mags can take on hell of a beating, while most AR mags need a sheltered life.
Link Posted: 10/21/2002 10:00:50 AM EDT
I have some no name black painted aluminum 20 rd that work just fine in both my RRA based AR's of course the COLT brand 20 and USGI 20 rnd work fine too.
I dont own any 30 rd so no experience there.
Lebrew
Link Posted: 10/21/2002 12:07:04 PM EDT
THermolds and USGIs
Top Top