Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 10/12/2002 1:30:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/13/2002 2:35:57 PM EDT by MaximusDane]
Ok, first I want to thank all of you that have helped me so far. Now, I am finally getting it narrowed down a little. I have a few models in mind. They are;

Rock River Arms
LE Tactical CAR A4
Elite LE Tactical CAR A4

Bushmaster
XM15 E2S M4 w/ A3 upper

Colt
MT6400

I would really appreciate it if you all would give me further insight as to which one to get. Any additional information, etc....

Also, the RRA shows the barrels with no muzzle break. Do they normally come with one? I am new and that may be a dumb question. I don't know. I just noticed the civilian version had a plain barrel.

Thanks again,

Lloyd

Added info to help;
I am mainly getting an AR because I have always wanted one. I have had a lot of guns, never an AR. I will be mainly plinking on the range, probably up to about 300 yds. Or as far as I can reach accurately. I am not really sure of the range of an AR.

Thanks everyone.....

Link Posted: 10/12/2002 2:28:29 PM EDT
I think the M4 barrels are the only ones that come with the pressed on muzzle brake/fake flash hider. The M$ may also be the only barrel with the chrome lined option. If I'm not mistaken RRA uses Wislon barrels.
Although, I'm sure you can get the muzzle attachment and chrome lining done to any barrel from them for a price.
Also, does Colt have the muzzle attachment? All the postban Colts I have seen do not. If you get the Colt and want a muzzle attachment I would double check if i were you. then post it on the the boards so i would know too. Yhanks and good luck with your rifle!
Link Posted: 10/12/2002 6:45:10 PM EDT
The LE Tactical and Elite LE Tactical have 16" HBAR barrels. Technically there is no 'need' for a brake, because they are of the legal length. The XM15 E2S and I believe the MT6400 will show a brake, because the technical length of an M4 profile barrel is 14.5", which represents certain legal issues (barrel length must be 16", barring certain specific circumstances). It's also done to retain the 'look' of the flash hider. In order to make the firearm legal, a muzzle brake is attached to put the overall length to 16" inches. Note however with the Bushmaster that you can opt to get a full 16" M4 barrel with no brake, if you so prefer.

One of the big differences between the RRA and the Bushy would be barrel weight. The RRA's use if I am not mistaken a Wilson HBAR barrel. The XM15-E2S-M4 Type uses an M4 profile barrel, which is rather lighter than the HBAR....to some people it makes a difference, to others it doesn't. YMMV I guess.

Basically put, you really can't go wrong with either. I opted for the Bushmaster, and I've been very happy with it so far. Conversely, I plan to build my next one off a RRA NM lower.

It also might help to know what is your intended use? Are we talking a plinker? If so, what ranges?

Link Posted: 10/12/2002 10:00:37 PM EDT
Thanks again everyone for the quick responses. I appreciate the help.

Now, my primary use for my AR will be plinking at the range. I would say on average of 250 yds plus. Whatever, I can do with an Ar acurately.

Thanks again and please keep the info coming...

-Lloyd
Link Posted: 10/12/2002 10:06:21 PM EDT
I really like my RRA!
Link Posted: 10/13/2002 2:39:05 PM EDT
Also, if anyone has any input, which handguards are better? The shorter or longer ones?

Thanks again,

Lloyd...
Top Top