Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/30/2002 7:40:48 AM EDT
I AM A LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICER AND I CURRENTLY OWN A 2001 LEGP AR15 WHICH I USE FOR REGULAR PATROL DUTIES AS WELL AS SWAT OPERATIONS.I WANT TO REMOVE THE FAUX SUPPRESSOR TO INSTALL A COLLAPSIBLE FRONT SIGHT.  DOES ANYONE KNOW IF THE FAUX SUPPRESSOR IS PINNED OR WELDED?  IT IS A POST-BAN GUN I OBTAINED WITHOUT DEPARTMENTAL LETTERHEAD.  ALSO BECAUSE IT IS POST-BAN CAN I LEGALLY(ACCORDING TO FEDERAL LAW)INSTALL A COLLAPSIBLE STOCK ON THIS GUN THAT I AM USING FOR LAW ENFORCEMENT PURPOSES, THE GUN IS NOT STAMPED "FOR LAW ENFORCEMENT USE ONLY"  THANKS FOR THE HELP
Link Posted: 9/30/2002 8:01:11 AM EDT
[#1]
1) IIRC the faux flash suppressor is pressed on.  To remove it you'll likely have to machine it off.

2) If this rifle is to be used for patrol duties I'd HIGHLY recommend against the folding front sight.  The fixed front sight is more durable AND is available *NOW* and not in the precious few seconds wasted in 'flipping up' the front sight.  Proper mounting of optics should eliminate any 'interference' with the front sight.

3) Using all capitals is considered YELLING and is very difficult to read, please use lower case and capitalize as needed.
Link Posted: 9/30/2002 8:08:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Just an FYI...if you are using that weapon without department letterhead, and you grease someone, there could be real hassles coming your way. You'll get hung for it being an illegal assault weapon. Cops are NOT above this law in spite of what you may have been told. The last thing our community needs is to have cops busting cops on assault rifles.
Link Posted: 9/30/2002 8:38:59 AM EDT
[#3]
You cannot put pre ban features on a postban gun no matter who you are or for whatever reason. On the other hand, no one is likely to know, notice, care or do anything about it anyway.

I think those rifles were made by Castle Arms, you might want to contact them about the best way to take the muzzle device off.
Link Posted: 9/30/2002 8:44:56 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
You cannot put pre ban features on a postban gun no matter who you are or for whatever reason.

monkeyman is correct.  [disclosure]I am not an attorney[/disclosure], but in order to have any pre-ban features, you must own a pre-ban rifle or have your department get one for you that is specified Law Enforcement Only.  
This is my opinion based on what other LEOs have posted on AR-15.com.

Good Luck!
Link Posted: 10/2/2002 7:20:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Tondog thanks for the information, however as my post said, I was looking at performing these adjustments to my weapon IF it were legal.  Since you do not know me, or my reputation as a LEO, do not assume that I may have been told that cops are above the law. Remember, this site if for the exchange of information, especially since there are many knowledgeable members out there.  Please don't taint the site with your anti-police rhetoric.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top