Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/22/2002 7:03:03 PM EDT
What are the number of shots/lifespan of the following Parts?

A2 uppers
A2 20 inch barrels
A2 20 inch chrome lined
AR lower receiver
USGI Al mags
Orlight/Thurmold mags

I know that this is a very subjective question, just curious what the life span would be approx?

Badredfish
Link Posted: 9/22/2002 9:42:46 PM EDT
Redfish,
It has been my experience that Chrome lined Mil-spec barrels(14.5 & 16")will last 16,000-24,000 rounds befor throat errosion becomes a safety issue.

Lowers will last till the fire control pins wear a odd shaped hole in the receiver(Roughly 40,000 rounds) and it's time to use bushings.

G.I. Mags that are NOT subjected to feedlip,or critical geometry abuse will last forever as far as I can tell.
The folks I support and work with could bend an anvil between quarterly inspections,and we only have a 20% rate of replacement on Mags due to dimensional deformation.

Orlite mags will tolerate all sorts of abuse aluminum mags will not,though they have their own issues,like getting cracked at the feed lips from dropping.

Get what turns ya on,and get lots of them!

Best of luck!
S-28
Link Posted: 9/22/2002 10:59:49 PM EDT
They last and last and last

Link Posted: 9/23/2002 1:55:32 AM EDT

Originally Posted By badredfish:
What are the number of shots/lifespan of the following Parts?

A2 uppers
A2 20 inch barrels
A2 20 inch chrome lined
AR lower receiver
USGI Al mags
Orlight/Thurmold mags

I know that this is a very subjective question, just curious what the life span would be approx?

Badredfish

B.R. Fish,
barrel life, obviously, depends much on how you shoot and may be down around the 5000 - 6000 range. As a practical matter, change barrels when accuracy becomes unacceptable.

The question is subjective and I have no problems with S-28's answers as they are more likely to apply to most casual shooters.
Top Top