Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/21/2002 5:59:46 PM EDT
Are BM, Colt HBARs profiles the same?

TIA
Link Posted: 9/21/2002 8:07:23 PM EDT
Yes, Basically the barrels are pre-turned.

The true a-2 barrel is turned to relieve metal/weight. Both companies just skip the last turning step and sell the barrel as a Heavy weight type.
The true mil-spec barrel is much preferred due to it balancing the rifle better. With out the final turned barrel, the front of the rifle is a little too heavy and swings more like a fence post. The extra weight is good for holding the rifle stationary, but is a real hindrance on a moving target or multi target snap shooting.

The thing I don't get is since they do not take the time to finish the barrel(final relief turning), then why does the barrel cost the same/more than a true type A-2.

Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 9/21/2002 9:09:22 PM EDT
Dano - thanks for the reply, but I guess I should have been more specific.

I'm having three barrels custom turned and fluted and need to know if BM and Colt have the exact external dimensions since I am having BM barrels worked, but only have a Colt to look at. The BM barrels were shipped directly to Kurt - won't even see them until they are done.
Link Posted: 9/23/2002 8:44:52 AM EDT
IIRC the Colt HBARS are not quite as fat as Bushmaster's or Olys. And IIRC they have a 'medium' weight too (just to further confuse things).

If the barrels are being custom turned then it really doesn't matter - the 'smith will turn it down to your desired diameter then flute.
Link Posted: 9/23/2002 8:51:19 PM EDT
Thanks, Forest. I just wanted the "steps" (diameter changes) to be in the same location on the BM barrels as on my Colt.
Top Top