Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/19/2002 4:29:51 PM EDT
I have a pre-ban PWA lower (well used) I would like to refinish it along with my upper. Will this lower its value?
Link Posted: 9/19/2002 5:03:26 PM EDT
It will lose its value if it looks ugly when you are done.
Link Posted: 9/19/2002 5:43:16 PM EDT
No, it won't lower the value. It's not a collector grade weapon. If you get it done right it would increase its marketability to prospective buyers.
Link Posted: 9/19/2002 6:49:15 PM EDT
Can you recommend anyone who would do a good , professional job?
Link Posted: 9/19/2002 9:13:04 PM EDT
Posted by gungoat34...

Only the best...Walter Birdsong
Link Posted: 9/19/2002 10:05:14 PM EDT
only if you use gungoat.
Link Posted: 9/19/2002 10:16:45 PM EDT

Originally Posted By NYPatriot:
Posted by gungoat34...

Only the best...Walter Birdsong

I don't have any experience w/ Birdsong products, but someone else here recently opined that Black-T isn't very tough, & that it flakes off rather easily.
Link Posted: 9/20/2002 10:22:54 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/20/2002 10:24:33 AM EDT by NYPatriot]
Blaster, who ever said that Black-T "flakes off" is 100% dead wrong!

Walter has told me of a test that he has conducted on his finish... He finished an old shotgun barrel in Black-T, put it in a vise, inserted a fulcrum into the barrel, and proceeded to bend the barrel every which way until it looked more like a pretzel than a gun barrel.

Guess what... the finished never cracked or flaked!!!

As for Black-T not wearing well, any gun finish will wear over time and with use. Black-T is no exception.

But... if & when Birdsong prefects his "Ceramic-T", it will usher in a whole new era of extremely durable firearms finishes!

Walter Birdsong's contact info is in the link that I posted. Anyone interested in Black-T should give him a call. He will be more than happy to tell you about his finishes.

Link Posted: 9/21/2002 11:50:32 AM EDT
Purely from a collector standpoint, yes, it will lower the value. As others mention there's little, if any collector value so the price difference may be miniscule at worst.
Link Posted: 9/21/2002 8:34:10 PM EDT
Lauer custom weaponry does a great job.
Also scott bell does great with the norrel moly.
Link Posted: 9/22/2002 8:04:47 AM EDT

Originally Posted By NYPatriot:
... put it in a vise, inserted a fulcrum into the barrel, and proceeded to bend the barrel every which way ...

ok, i ain't the grammar poleeece, but, wouldn't the vise be the fulcrum, and the barrel itself the lever, simply being extended by whatever was inserted into it to provide a greater mechanical advantage?
Link Posted: 9/22/2002 8:16:14 AM EDT
physics patrol!
Top Top