Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/19/2002 4:29:51 PM EDT
I have a pre-ban PWA lower (well used) I would like to refinish it along with my upper. Will this lower its value?
Link Posted: 9/19/2002 5:03:26 PM EDT
[#1]
It will lose its value if it looks ugly when you are done.
Link Posted: 9/19/2002 5:43:16 PM EDT
[#2]
No, it won't lower the value.  It's not a collector grade weapon.  If you get it done right it would increase its marketability to prospective buyers.
Link Posted: 9/19/2002 6:49:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Can you recommend anyone who would do a good , professional job?
Link Posted: 9/19/2002 9:13:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Posted by gungoat34...

Only the best...Walter Birdsong
Link Posted: 9/19/2002 10:05:14 PM EDT
[#5]
only if you use gungoat.
Link Posted: 9/19/2002 10:16:45 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Posted by gungoat34...

Only the best...Walter Birdsong

I don't have any experience w/ Birdsong products, but someone else here recently opined that Black-T isn't very tough, & that it flakes off rather easily.
Link Posted: 9/20/2002 10:22:54 AM EDT
[#7]
Blaster, who ever said that Black-T "flakes off" is 100% dead wrong!  

Walter has told me of a test that he has conducted on his finish... He finished an old shotgun barrel in Black-T, put it in a vise, inserted a fulcrum into the barrel, and proceeded to bend the barrel every which way until it looked more like a pretzel than a gun barrel.  

Guess what... the finished never cracked or flaked!!!

As for Black-T not wearing well, any gun finish will wear over time and with use. Black-T is no exception.

But... if & when Birdsong prefects his "Ceramic-T", it will usher in a whole new era of extremely durable firearms finishes!

Walter Birdsong's contact info is in the link that I posted.  Anyone interested in Black-T should give him a call.  He will be more than happy to tell you about his finishes.  

Link Posted: 9/21/2002 11:50:32 AM EDT
[#8]
Purely from a collector standpoint, yes, it will lower the value. As others mention there's little, if any collector value so the price difference may be miniscule at worst.
Link Posted: 9/21/2002 8:34:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Lauer custom weaponry does a great job.
Also scott bell does great with the norrel moly.
Link Posted: 9/22/2002 8:04:47 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
... put it in a vise, inserted a fulcrum into the barrel, and proceeded to bend the barrel every which way ...

ok, i ain't the grammar poleeece, but, wouldn't the vise be the fulcrum, and the barrel itself the lever, simply being extended by whatever was inserted into it to provide a greater mechanical advantage?
Link Posted: 9/22/2002 8:16:14 AM EDT
[#11]
physics patrol!
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top