Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/11/2002 10:33:34 PM EDT
Do many of you use vertical foregrips on your carbines?  Do you find them useful or comfortable for everyday shooting or are they more suited for CQB/3 gun match/tac training?

I've been thinking about getting one for my Cav-15 (mainly for the above mentioned matches and training), but I've never fired a rifle with a grip in that position.  Hate to spend the money, only to put it on the EE a few days later.  Thanks for any advice.
Link Posted: 9/12/2002 1:45:48 AM EDT
[#1]
Try using the front of the mag well first (it's vertical).  

If you like that and think it would be more comfortable if your non-firing hand was further towards the muzzle, then you would probably like a forward grip.
Link Posted: 9/12/2002 5:45:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Have one and like it.

This seems to another of those individual like or dislike deals.
Link Posted: 9/12/2002 5:53:24 AM EDT
[#3]
i have one and also like it.  if you buy one get one of the mil spec aluminum ones.  mine says Y/M on the side but what ever you get think quality.

GlockA-Molee's mag well idea is the one that sold me on the vertical for grip.

they don't get in the way for most shooting styles except on shooting bags.  but a good one will remove w/o tools.  
Link Posted: 9/12/2002 7:10:10 AM EDT
[#4]
I have one that attaches to a Picatinny rail via a spring-loaded "clamp", and can be mounted and removed quickly.  Unfortunately, it rattles a bit, and although I don't think it would come off, the play in the mechanism is a bit unsettling.  Next time I plan to get one that attaches solidly with set screws.

As for their use, I find the position quite confortable.  Obviously, you won't be shooting off a bench with it.

Just my 2 cents.
Link Posted: 9/12/2002 11:46:30 AM EDT
[#5]
I've got a rail attached to the the bottom of my Colt M4 handguards, so I'm looking at the KAC and the Fobus rail mounted foregrips.  I may just keep an eye on the EE and try to pick up a used one if it becomes available.  Thanks for the input guys.
Link Posted: 9/12/2002 1:27:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Unless you are going to put the grip way out front, avoid anything that has finger grooves or that mounts at an angle.  The plain 'broom handle' style like the KAC grip are most comforable.
Link Posted: 9/12/2002 3:34:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Hoplo, I disagree.
Remember,  what is "comfortable" is truly a subjective thing.
Link Posted: 9/13/2002 6:57:58 AM EDT
[#8]
Hey guys!

For the record, I like the vertical foregrips, and have the DPMS aluminum version on my M4.

I'd like to get a couple more to put on my 9mm carbine and my *other* M4, and was considering the KAC version b/c it's polymer and might be a bit lighter than the DPMS.

Any of you foregrip fans use the KAC? If so, have you had any problems with durability under heavy use? I have heard about problems with the locking pin (also polymer?) breaking if the operator attempted to tighten it *on* one of the raised ribs instead of between them. Then again, SF operators are using the KAC grips in A-Stan, and reports there seem generally positive.

I like the ergonomics and ruggedness of the DPMS, but wouldn't mind saving a few ounces if the quality of the KAC is as good. Thoughts?

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top