Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/7/2002 7:43:55 PM EDT
I'm planning to build a custom flat-top upper for a carry weapon at work. I wanted to use a Colt M4 upper to match my Colt L.E. lower but the best price I can find on one is about $250. It seems that I can find a good Rock River Arms or FN flat-top upper for about $100. Is the Colt worth the extra money or would I just be paying for the name?
Link Posted: 9/7/2002 9:29:42 PM EDT
If you are not using a Colt M4 barrel you do not need a Colt M4 upper. You can get a RRA flat top upper from Pete-In-NH (Legal Transfers) for $95 plus shipping.
Link Posted: 9/7/2002 9:33:12 PM EDT
where can you find FN flat top uppers
Link Posted: 9/8/2002 5:30:22 AM EDT
I have seen several FN flat-tops on eBay. Most of them have already been built into uppers but I have also seen just the upper. I thought I had also seen some listed on here under AR parts for sale.
I read a post somewhere though that said FN is not allowed to sell to civilians and if you see an FN upper for sale then it must be a factory reject. I do not if that is true or not for myself.
I do not plan to use a Colt M4 barrel. I plan to use a heavy barrel in a dissipator-style configuration with free-floating handguards. Other than the Colt name, that's why I don't know if a Colt M4 upper is worth the extra money. I hear about the M4 feed ramps but I'm not exactly sure what they are or if they're necessary. I have several non-M4 rifles that I guess don't have the ramps and they all function perfectly.
As mentioned above, I have heard numerous good things about Pete and his RRA flat-top uppers.
Link Posted: 9/8/2002 7:51:53 PM EDT
The extended feedramps are cut into both the receiver and the chamber in the Colt M4s. For what you want, you do not need a Colt M4 upper. Go to Pete, he will take good care of you and save you money.
Link Posted: 9/9/2002 5:47:59 AM EDT
I just got a flattop upper from Pete. It arrived in two days and is as good or better than bushmaster. I would rather have one from RRA or bushmaster than one of the "FN" ones that you know can't be FN and have no idea where it came from or what quality it is.

My .02
Link Posted: 9/9/2002 3:42:17 PM EDT
When someone says they are selling you an FN part, what it means is they have no F-N idea who made it. Hahaha, sorry I stole that line from someone on the board, just cant remember who coined that phrase.

Memorable AR15.com phrases;
"This is an FN part, which means; I have no "F-N" idea who made it"
by: ?????

"Hesse, unsafe at any speed"
by: Troy

"Go chrome or go home"
by: Juggernaught
Link Posted: 9/10/2002 6:08:21 AM EDT

Originally Posted By FRO:

...............than one of the "FN" ones that you know can't be FN and have no idea where it came from or what quality it is.

My .02

Yep !

(and that makes it $.04.)
Link Posted: 9/10/2002 8:34:23 AM EDT
I'd go with Colt
Link Posted: 9/10/2002 3:47:19 PM EDT
Keep it all Colt! It will maintain its value in the long run.
Top Top