Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/4/2002 10:05:46 AM EDT
So has everyone thought about which lower they are going to use with our upcoming Sledgehammer uppers?

This is the first time I brought an incomplete weapon. I'm going to check around for a lower and have it just for 458.
Link Posted: 9/4/2002 12:51:43 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
So has everyone thought about which lower they are going to use with our upcoming Sledgehammer uppers?

This is the first time I brought an incomplete weapon. I'm going to check around for a lower and have it just for 458.

I have one of the Tromix .458 SOCOM Uppers mounted on a SOCOM Mfg. (Diamond Series) Lower (http://www.socommfg.com/diamond.html).  They are machined from (7 lb block of T-6) Billet Aluminum, they are thicker and look really good (teflon finished by DPMS).  I guess any lower would work as good.

Jerry
Link Posted: 9/4/2002 1:03:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Well in this dream I had the other night I finally received those two TROMIX lowers I ordered in February.

I assembled them, attached the Teppo Jutsu .458 SOCOM and started .

Just don't tell my girlfriend.

Seems I was all happy and giggling in my sleep and in the morning she asked me what I was dreaming about.

I replied, "I was dreaming about YOU honey!"

--LS
Link Posted: 9/4/2002 7:00:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Ok I've looked around a little and found.

1.RRA Lower A2 complete $250 (350 w/NM 2 stage trigger)

2. DPMS lower complete #LR-05AS $327.95

3.Bushmaster XM15E25 complete lower (no price)

I've heard allot good said about RRA and Bushmaster;and don't remember any bad about DPMS. I have experence with Bushmaster; so talk to me about RRA and DPMS Lowers.  Thank You in advance...
Link Posted: 9/4/2002 7:42:13 PM EDT
[#4]
I also have a Tromix on order, and I have a complete lower parts set.  If the Tromix isn't here on time, I'll just buy a stripped Bushy or RRA...
Link Posted: 9/4/2002 7:44:31 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Ok I've looked around a little and found.

1.RRA Lower A2 complete $250 (350 w/NM 2 stage trigger)

2. DPMS lower complete #LR-05AS $327.95

3.Bushmaster XM15E25 complete lower (no price)

I've heard allot good said about RRA and Bushmaster;and don't remember any bad about DPMS. I have experence with Bushmaster; so talk to me about RRA and DPMS Lowers.  Thank You in advance...

Those prices are high, check here:
server.norala.biz/AR-15%20COMPONENTS.htm
Link Posted: 9/5/2002 6:47:09 AM EDT
[#6]
I asked the same question in the upper purchase thread, No one replied!

I think a forged lower is the way to go, Forget about cast.
Since a DPMS lo pro upper is going to be used on the project, To match the finish a DPMS forged lower should work.

Now how about optics, I have a 2.5 power Beeman scope, It was designed to handle the hard Back/Foward recoil of spring piston ariguns, Can it handle the .458 Socom?

Link Posted: 9/5/2002 9:43:35 AM EDT
[#7]
Beeman? Who knows? One way to find out! How attached are you to it?

Good idea about the DPMS lower. Guess I'll have to price one since the Tromix lowers will likely remain vapor-ware.

--LS

Link Posted: 9/5/2002 11:43:40 AM EDT
[#8]
I am in ownership of a RRA lower from Pete-in-NH (Legal Transfers LLC) and the lower is black, black.....the finish seems to be top notch and the US PROPERTY stamp is way cool. ^

I would recommend them highly, not sure if they are forged but I think they are ( I am IM'ing Pete right now.)

I think mine was standard A2, thru paypal and including $15 FFL fee....was $289.

Ed
Link Posted: 9/5/2002 2:50:38 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Good idea about the DPMS lower. Guess I'll have to price one since the Tromix lowers will likely remain vapor-ware.

--LS

SO far it has held up to about 500 rounds through an AR-10A4 Carbine, Alot of that rapid fire!
Link Posted: 9/5/2002 5:57:39 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

--LS

SO far it has held up to about 500 rounds through an AR-10A4 Carbine, Alot of that rapid fire!

I have the SS2.  I wouldn't use it on the 458 because if it breaks, you're shit out of luck.  Get a cheapie leupold and throw it on.  Keep that Beeman on something that won't kill it, especially since repairs are nonexistant.
Link Posted: 9/5/2002 6:03:08 PM EDT
[#11]
I have a Rock River lower on my 458 and it is just fine. I have a Luepold Var-X II on it and I am debating putting My EOTech 552 on it but I dont know if it will handle it.  

So you all know I have over 500 rounds through my 458 with no signs of wear on the lower, cheap works on the lower!!
Link Posted: 9/6/2002 1:09:33 PM EDT
[#12]
HighlandMac

Have you been shooting the factory 300 grain loads? Or have you been shooting Heavy reloads?
(Like the 500grain rounds I have read about)
What would you compare the recoil too?
Link Posted: 9/6/2002 1:58:49 PM EDT
[#13]
I have been shooting handloads only. I use the Barnes-X 300 gr for hunting and for just playing around I shoot a 300gr Hornady HP. The recoil is about the same as a 12ga with a 3" magnum load. I have become used to it and to sit down and shoot 30-50 in a sitting is not so bad, although those last 10 always seem to hurt a little more

I have not played with the heavier subsonic loads, and really have no intrest in them since I dont have a suppressor for it. The 300gr Barnes-X wil drop a deer like a bag of hammers!! I have become lazy and dont like to chase them so this is a perfect fix, and with 10 in the magazine you could blast the hell out of a group of hogs should you be lucky enough to run up on some!!  

If you dont have the load data you can get it from Marty a Teppo Jutsu.

Link Posted: 9/6/2002 2:12:40 PM EDT
[#14]
I Heard the recoil spring takes a beating!
How is the recoil spring & buffer holding up?
Would a heavier spring dampen the recoil & Last longer?
Link Posted: 9/7/2002 8:03:21 AM EDT
[#15]
300 grain  kicking equal to 3 magnum shell.. Not acceptable . Sorry for outburst, but I have interest in all the 458 loads. Their has to be recoil reduction somehow.

Hello Marty at Teppo there is solutions to this right? So what if a few different springs,buffer,ect.. need to be changed when using different loads. Is this something you have already considered? I know your busy just food for thought.
Link Posted: 9/7/2002 12:29:02 PM EDT
[#16]
If you put a recoil pad on the buttstock that would tame it a good bit. I have considered getting an A1 buttstock and putting a SVL buttpad on it which will give about the same overall length as the A2.  DO NOT USE A COLLAPSEABLE STOCK, you want all the weight you can get to help soak up some recoil. Also you need the longer spring and buffer for the upper to work properly.  Don't worry about the recoil it is a blast to shoot. If you have seen the video with the guys shooting the .577 Tyranosaur and the gun coming out of thier hands don't worry it is not like that with the .458 SOCOM.

Link Posted: 9/7/2002 12:53:00 PM EDT
[#17]
Get a Wolf +10% recoil spring.  That should hlp a lot with the felt recoil.
Link Posted: 9/7/2002 6:34:20 PM EDT
[#18]
Thanks for the ideas. I like options. I'm really looking forward to this.
Link Posted: 9/7/2002 7:42:01 PM EDT
[#19]
Sinclair Intl sells a buttstock weight that looks like a wedge and fits into the cleaning kit compartment.  This sucker weighs 3.5 pounds! (also, it can be cut down if ya don't want the full weight...)

I wouldn't want to carry it around hunting, but for range sessions shootin' from the bench (like when load testing) it ought to help a bit...

Anyone ever use one?
Link Posted: 9/8/2002 5:33:27 AM EDT
[#20]
I plan on taking the buttplate off & Installing a high quality recoil pad; I also am looking into the use of a pneumatic recoil
reduction buffer.
Can't wait for the upper to arrive!
Link Posted: 9/8/2002 10:13:31 AM EDT
[#21]
Pneumatic recoil buffer???Who ,How much,Where at?
Link Posted: 9/8/2002 4:54:41 PM EDT
[#22]
ADVANCED ARMAMENT

CYCLIC RATE REDUCER

Slows Rate Of Fire By 50%Save Ammunition, Increase Accuracy
Easy-to-install, machined-steel recoil buffer slows rate of fire and reduces felt recoil by up to 50%; increases full-auto accuracy and reduces wasted ammunition. Virtually eliminates muzzle climb, provides the shooter with enhanced controllability in sustained, full-auto fire. Simple installation requires no permanent modifications, installs in just seconds.
Brownells, $149
If it works I will let you guys know!
Link Posted: 9/8/2002 5:06:20 PM EDT
[#23]
If it works say Helloooo  500gr.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top