Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/3/2002 12:12:22 PM EDT
Considering getting a 24" stainless bull barrelled flattop upper.  I see the Wilson is probably cheaper and I know they do a large volume which gives them a pricing edge.  How about their quality though?  There is a German barrel (forgot the brand), how is it?  What is the most accurate/best target barrel for an AR?
Link Posted: 9/3/2002 12:58:33 PM EDT
[#1]
IIRC Kreiger is considered one of the best.

However most accurate for the $$ is probably an Olympic Arms SUM barrel (Stainless Ultra Match).

Wilson is at best a 3rd rate AR barrel.
Link Posted: 9/3/2002 3:22:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Rocky Mountain Barrel Works.

But, you may have to wait until Mark goes into production on 22 calibers, which could be 2 years from time of order.
Link Posted: 9/3/2002 9:45:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Why not look up what they use for the Camp Perry matches? I would think those would be the most accurate?
Link Posted: 9/3/2002 9:53:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Bob Cole, great idea on the Camp Perry matches.  Where the hell can I find out what they use??  Anyone recall seeing any ads?  
Link Posted: 9/4/2002 10:06:12 AM EDT
[#5]
Most highpower shooters (i.e., Camp Perry) would probably by using Krieger, Pac-Nor, Shilen, or Douglas.  This is just based on what I've seen in the Competitions forum here and what I've heard on the firing line at matches.  Krieger is supposedly the best.
Link Posted: 9/4/2002 3:02:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Here is a good Highpower competion website:

http://www.jarheadtop.com/
Link Posted: 9/4/2002 9:19:41 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Bob Cole, great idea on the Camp Perry matches.  Where the hell can I find out what they use??  Anyone recall seeing any ads?  

Since the NRA is a main sponsor there, I would start at their web site. I know they have detailed coverage in Am Rifleman every year for who won & shot what. I don't know if there's a Camp Perry website or not.
Link Posted: 9/4/2002 9:56:49 PM EDT
[#8]
DeanD,
Here is the price sheet that Compass lake has to get a feel for prices.

http://www.compasslake.com/Price%20List.htm

The problem that you run into production barrels is how the rifling is produced and how the camber is cut.  My self, I prefer to have the rifling cut, not button or forged.  The U.S. Olympic team thinks the same way, and has their rifles built by Mark @ Rocky Mountain Barrel Works. The only draw back to this that the barrel takes hours to produce verses minutes the other ways. Hence, the long wait in order to get a barrel.  

As far as price and availability, It will run you little more than a Krieger barrel. Mark's production times are done in batches of each caliber.  But, some times you luck out and Mark may have a extra barrel that was made for someone who didn't want to wait.   If you do plan on having a barrel made by Mark, you will need to send him a new bolt to have the chamber matched/reamed to the bolt.  Also, think enough ahead to decide what the barrel is being used for; twist/bullet type that you will be using in the rifle.  

This all matters when it comes to producing one hole groups!!!!!  

P.S. Welcome to the search for the Holy Grail in regards to barrels and group sizes.  It gets pretty ugly when you become Purist,,, And real Expensive!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top