Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 3/6/2006 8:01:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/6/2006 8:02:55 PM EDT by gaspain]
Here is a list of links that ive collected, got most of them from TAP class. As a Vet you also get extra points that give you priority.

Fed jobs
www.opm.gov lots of fed jobs
www.avuecentral.com don’t know about this one
www.usajobs.opm.gov a lot of fed jobs
www.donhr.navy.mil dept of the navy human resources
www.bls.gov dept of labor
http://online.onetcenter.org one stop shopping?

Resources
http://www.stats.bls.gov/oco/home.htm

Fed Job search engines
www.dod.jobsearch.org
www.federaljobsearch.net
www.goacs.org
www.navylifepnw.com

Link Posted: 3/8/2006 5:31:19 AM EDT
good stuff... i want to look at this.

20 years to retirement... and AA is getting old really fast
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 1:17:34 AM EDT

Originally Posted By CB1:

whats AA?
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 12:40:37 AM EDT
My Father retired in 27 years from a State job in Ohio, with his three years 66-69 in the Army, covering the other three years. I always thought that was a nice "Thank You" for his service in Vietnam....
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 6:11:05 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/14/2006 6:11:43 AM EDT by CB1]

Originally Posted By gaspain:

Originally Posted By CB1:

whats AA?

American Airlines yes, 17 years later... I am in need of change

eta: spelling
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 9:56:19 PM EDT
And something I just thought of. Your military service might qualify you for jobs that are only open to current federal employees. There are a couple of veterans preeferences, VEOA, VRA, and others IIRC. Take a look. My roomate/landlord works at the hospital on post and he was only able to get the job because of his time in the Navy. There is a contractor that is bitter because he can't get hired directly because the job isn't open to all.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 8:13:17 AM EDT
I work for DOD as a GS scale civil servant. All my active duty time transfered over (11 years). I paid 3% of my total accrued active duty base pay to Uncle Sugar in order to get credit for retirement. Generally, your federal retirement is calculated according to this formula: 1% of your high-3 average pay times years of creditable service. If you retire at age 62 or later with at least 20 years of service, a factor of 1.1% is used rather than 1%. I have 15 vested, 24 to go until I reach 65 for a total of 39 years or 42.9% of my base pay. In addition I pay into the Thrift Savings Plan up to 12% of my annual income and Uncle Sugar kicks in 5%. Free money is always cool.

Also, as a federal employee you can draw a reserve or national guard retirement (you cannot draw an active duty retirement and a federal employee retirement due to a change in the law). So I will be able to "double dip" a little. Also government jobs are much more lenient towards military service. And you are very protected as a veteran when it comes time to make cuts. Essentially you will be the guy locking up the last building in the government.

Link Posted: 3/19/2006 3:22:23 PM EDT
I can attest to it; I served in Iraq with the 220th MP Bde. and now work with the Dept. Of Justice/Federal Bureau Of Prisons as a Correctional officer (my probationary is over in 14 days ); a lot of the guys that work with me, including some of the lieautenants are mostly former vets themselves; one of my best friends is an EX Army Ranger that served in Afghanistan and two of the other officers with me served in iraq, along with a couple of the Lieutenants.

I know the BOP is hiring a lot, specially here in FL (FCC Coleman); you can check the job listings at http://www.bop.gov/ under BOP Careers.

I found the job by coincidence over at USA Jobs and it pays good (at least for a single guy).
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 12:17:33 PM EDT
Another thing to watch for is internships with organizations like Homeland Security, TRADOC & Material Command.

Injured service members have an even higher preference for jobs at these places, however any vet should apply. If they served honorably years ago, they still have a preference over the new highschool/college grad.

Check them out vets. It's worth the time you put into the search.
Top Top