Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/26/2006 4:25:51 PM EDT
Well, I think its safe to let my secret out. I am a Navy Submariner of 10 years now, been on both fast boats and boomers.  Im a Fire Control Technician 1st class. (thats navy speak for "computer nerd" and weapons type guy)

My eaos is coming in a few weeks and i'll be out for good.  Im getting out because Im sick of going out to sea for months on end.  So, im gonna finish college with help from th GI bill and the Navy college fund and be a poor college student for a few years.

Im thinking of doing the Navy reserves as an 'IS'. But I dont know how its gonna work out with school.

Maybe you have been in my shoes before and can offer some good advice.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 4:27:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Finish your 20 to get your pension!
All jobs suck!
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 4:30:39 PM EDT
[#2]
If you're set on getting out, do as you already mentioned.. use that GI bill and get a degree

OR, if you want to stay in,  I bet you could change fields and get some more edumacation in something else to help you in the civialian world.

thanks and good luck!
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 4:30:45 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
All jobs suck!

lol, no way man.  I seriously dont like going out to sea.  I get sea sick...lol

If I reenlisted again I would have to do 5 years on a boat. No way man.  

I could get a Federal Job and my time served in the Navy would apply towards retirement. But I dont really want a fed job, they all look boring and dont pay very well.  
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 5:51:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Get a job as a civilian teaching your current job to Navy guys.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 6:08:06 PM EDT
[#5]
first thing i would recommend to a bubblehead is to develop heterosexual urges

kidding aside... consider the reserves. it would be a bitch to throw away 10years. at the very least try to get a government job so you can transfer your time over.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 6:15:12 PM EDT
[#6]
I would be hesitant to try going back to school and joining the reserves.  Far too great a risk of being activated indefinitely and having to put school on the back burner.  If you are going to finish college, you need to make that your priority.  What state are you located in and/or have residency?  CT resident veterans get free tuition at UConn, so if you are in New London you might want to change your residency.  You still get your GI Bill stipend, but you can use that for your living expenses.  A lot of other states have some sort of similar program.  If you entered as an IL resident, you can go to U of I for free.  Wisconsin has 50% tuition reimbursement, etc.

Again, if you join the reserves, plan on getting activated and spending time overseas even if it doesn't seem likely.

Edit: I just noticed that you said you were getting out in a few WEEKS!  Hopefully your education plans are in order.  
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 6:36:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Try Military.com for job info. I would retire from the reserves if possible. I am trying to. Lot's of USNR sailors havent been activated, mainly MA's HM's and Seabees.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 6:40:35 PM EDT
[#8]
I am assuming you have a TS clearance? Lots of private  companies pay big big bucks just because of that. Did you get your SMART transcript at TAP class?
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 7:01:15 AM EDT
[#9]
Go right into the reserves in the IRR.  You won't have to drill with a unit and the odds of getting mobilized, while not perfect, are pretty small. With 10 years active, you already have over 3500  retirement points and if you stay in the IRR for another 10 you could rack up another 1000. It's not a huge pension but you certainly don't want those years of hard work to not count for anything down the road. Also look into any state/fed job that lets you buy into the pension plan as a veteran.  The state of CT lets vets buy in day for day of active duty for a nominal amount.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 4:49:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Quitter!

Why would you want to become an IS?

Seriously, you should get your degree, go into civil service and apply your 10 years AD time.

Link Posted: 2/27/2006 6:57:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Blue to Green, go Infantry.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 5:16:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Coner....

kidding aside, I did my six as a nuke mech on SSN761....probably moored very near you. I got out in '03 and I am now a junior in college using both the NCF and MGIB. It sucks being poor, but this is going to be the 'easiest' time for you to go to school. Take advantage of it while you can.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 6:39:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Haul ass!

I got out nearly 5 years ago as an ET2.  While I look back at the memories of visiting all those exotic ports and the camraderie with my shipmates, I don't miss getting underway.

Get your resume / certifications all squared away.  In Naval lingo, get your shit in one sock.

Attend TAP.  If you attended TAP already, do it again.  

If you're on shore-duty, you will see a USNR recruiter.  When I seperated, I left my ship in a foreign port and transferred to TPU Bangor.  Since TPU is a shore command. . .

About a month and a half after I got out, I joined the Washington Air National Guard.  Since that is a different branch, I had to attend the USAF equivalent to "A" school even though the USN rating / USAF AFSC are similiar (Electronics Tech. / Satellite, Wideband & Telemetry Systems Maintainer).  If you decide to entertain the USAFR / ANG, the maximum paygrade they'll let you in is E5.  Then again for the ANG, there is no advancement exams / boards to worry about.

Several of my Guard bretheren attend school full-time, have civilian careers and drill.  It's possible.

The grass is greener outside the SUBASE.

IM me if you need to.

ETA:  As for the deployment issue, I have yet to deploy with the ANG.  I was one of four voluntarily activated after 9/11 for Operation NOBLE EAGLE.  That was temporary full-time employment prior to going to the USAF's tech. school.  The second point about deployment is U.S.M.C.  U Signed the Motherfucking Contract!  Don't bitch if you do join and in fact get deployed.  Since you have 10 years AD, I think you'd know that.  Some of these "college kids" with no AD time have a chronic case of  "I joined just for the college money syndrome".
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 6:51:01 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
All jobs suck!

+100000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 6:51:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Oh BTW--Thanks and Good Luck!
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 9:12:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Thank you for you're service.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 7:12:27 PM EDT
[#17]
I did 9 years as a nuke and got out in 2001.  I made rate real fast, I made E6 in 5 years etc was a command advanced one time.   shit hot kinda guy right?

well I got out and doubled my pay, yet cut my working hours in half.  And I get to see my kids every night.

When you get out you got the whole nation to pick from, the navy will pay for a move back to your Home of Record or up to that distance or part of your move if you go further.  So..... change your home of record to your farthest known relative.  Then you can basically pick from the ENTIRE USA.

I was on the SSN 773 new construction then I taught at S8G prototype in New York.  I thought all FC's were ET's now on subs???  I know all the TM's became MM's and the IC's became ET's.  That made my chief test real hard when I had to study TM/FC stuff to go for E7

I found a job in Arizona of all places and had the Navy pay for my move, then I talked the new job into paying me 4 grand for moving.  

My advice:  Don't be afraid to try any field.  I was a mechanic on the boat, but I took a job as a chemist at a coal fired power plant.  Last year I made 80k for the first tiem in my life.

www.aps.com is the company I work for.  There are currently several IS jobs open for computer nerds.  Check out the careers page.

Here is the kicker:  I went over five years here in January:  for 2006 I get 200 hours of paid  time off (translated 5 weeks of leave).  the first year is 3 weeks, from 2-5 years you get 4 weeks.

Good luck and yes this is my first post.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 7:42:15 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I did 9 years as a nuke and got out in 2001.  I made rate real fast, I made E6 in 5 years etc was a command advanced one time.   shit hot kinda guy right?

well I got out and doubled my pay, yet cut my working hours in half.  And I get to see my kids every night.

When you get out you got the whole nation to pick from, the navy will pay for a move back to your Home of Record or up to that distance or part of your move if you go further.  So..... change your home of record to your farthest known relative.  Then you can basically pick from the ENTIRE USA.

I was on the SSN 773 new construction then I taught at S8G prototype in New York.  I thought all FC's were ET's now on subs???  I know all the TM's became MM's and the IC's became ET's.  That made my chief test real hard when I had to study TM/FC stuff to go for E7

I found a job in Arizona of all places and had the Navy pay for my move, then I talked the new job into paying me 4 grand for moving.  

My advice:  Don't be afraid to try any field.  I was a mechanic on the boat, but I took a job as a chemist at a coal fired power plant.  Last year I made 80k for the first tiem in my life.

www.aps.com is the company I work for.  There are currently several IS jobs open for computer nerds.  Check out the careers page.

Here is the kicker:  I went over five years here in January:  for 2006 I get 200 hours of paid  time off (translated 5 weeks of leave).  the first year is 3 weeks, from 2-5 years you get 4 weeks.

Good luck and yes this is my first post.

Did you ever go to sea?
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 7:59:00 PM EDT
[#19]
yes but not much. I did sea trials, 6 months of west atlantic games of tag at about a 70% op tempo.  Then we went back in for post shakedown availability in the shipyard.  the i did a change of homeport to Pearl another 6 months of tag and then a predeployment workup.  about 15 months of shitty 2-10 day in and outs, with a bunch of hot standby port time.  I got off easy.  my longest underway was only 43 days.

Hot standby in port is just as bad as going to sea for a nuke.  3 or 4 section duty rotation plus 10 or more hours per day.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 12:27:48 PM EDT
[#20]
Dickhead, we paid a lot of money to send you to school.
Stay in and retire.
You'll probably end up making Master Chief before 20.

I have a few friends who got out of the military and ended up in the reserves, guard or went back active duty with the Navy.
Some of them wished they had not gone back in, most are happy with the choice they made.

I have a few friends who got out after 10-12 years as First Class's and Chief's and all but one wishes the had stayed in.

Make sure you have your VA / disablilty shit together, don't let anyone fuck you around on it.

Why don't you cross-rate to AO?  
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 4:37:12 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
yes but not much. I did sea trials, 6 months of west atlantic games of tag at about a 70% op tempo.  Then we went back in for post shakedown availability in the shipyard.  the i did a change of homeport to Pearl another 6 months of tag and then a predeployment workup.  about 15 months of shitty 2-10 day in and outs, with a bunch of hot standby port time.  I got off easy.  my longest underway was only 43 days.

Hot standby in port is just as bad as going to sea for a nuke.  3 or 4 section duty rotation plus 10 or more hours per day.

We were ALWAYS 3 or 4 section. Most availabilities might as well have been sea-time for the nuke mechanics. I could have picked ALOT of jobs where the work time would have been 50% less.....let's see here....ST/IC/MS/ etc etc etc....pretty much the front half of the boat except the A-gangers.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 4:38:57 PM EDT
[#22]
ka3b,
I don't know which your were talking about but gaspain is living his life.  Masterchief just isn't worth it in my opinion.

We don't care if his school cost a lot of money.  He paid his obligation and then some.  Please let him be.  

You do make a good point about disability.  I had minor nerve damage when I got out (some fingers and a shoulder are numb) due to a shipboard injury.  They gave me 10% (about 100 bucks a month).  Now it is getting worse in just 5 years.

GASPAIN, if there is anything that you broke or were exposed to or any hazard that you had to endure, report it.

Contact the Disabled American Veterans when you get out and join if you are eligible.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 6:55:05 PM EDT
[#23]
I never served in the Navy, I will have done 8 years by the time I get out of the Air Force. I can understand why Gaspain would want to get out. The military isn't for eveyone. I once liked it but with the way things are going in the military, I can't see the benefit of staying in. Being deployed constantly, hardly getting to see your family, long work hours for low pay just doesn't hit it any more. The military is being run inot the ground with the war and shrinking manpower levels. I'm doing the jobs of 4 people. Everything is suffering in the military.  The best thing to do is separate if you have a good plan. Don't just stay around because its a steady job and the benefits. I hate people who only stay around for that and nothing else. At least lie to me and say its out of patriotism. For some the military is a calling, others its a pay check.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 8:29:15 AM EDT
[#24]
DefensorFortis,
If you are worried about the whole "doing more with less" thing, it is jsut as bad outside.

I am out of the Navy, working at a power plant.   I am doing the job of several people as well.  i have as many responsibilities now as I did in the Navy.  However, they FORCE me to go home after (4) 10 hour days each week, because my management refuses to pay voluntary overtime.

There are things that "have" to get done that don't anymore cause we are short of people.

This is common across the us in industry.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 8:37:28 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
All jobs suck!

+1

Start a new career in 10 years with that pension check coming in every month
as security.  The civilian world and PC workplaces suck ass.

Link Posted: 3/4/2006 6:44:57 PM EDT
[#26]
3 and 4 section, try port and starboard for most of my sea time.

Served aboard USS Spadefish 668 from 93-97, I hated going out to sea.

I was an ET2 and I make more money now than the commander of the boat makes.

There are plenty of high tech jobs out there. Navy training is accepted as my company in lieu of a technical degree. Most of the guys I work with are ex-military.

If you can make the 20 do it. Just know you have lots of options.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top