Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/23/2006 5:07:09 AM EDT
Ever wonder what would happen if you pushed a BDU-56 (2000 LBS!!) off of a MHU-110 trailer without using the extenders?
Well, it looks like this...

One of these things is not like the other...

Pointing out the "dent" in the flightline.

They pulled out the pins...

Than pulled it off the trailer.

They DID have the extenders!

LESSON: Bombs don't levitate very far.

Link Posted: 2/23/2006 6:06:02 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 6:30:32 AM EDT
[#2]
Ahh..  Luke.

Rob
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 6:48:30 PM EDT
[#3]
That will buff right out.

I had been at my first squadron les than a week when I got to a jet right after a load crew had dropped a training Mk-82 while trying to load it on the bottom station of a TER-9A.  Lots of red faces there.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 6:51:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Good thing they're the BLUE ones!

BTW... how many times did it bounce?

Did you do a Broken Arrow drill?
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 7:00:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Gremlins..... Where is bugs bunny when you need him?
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 12:31:57 AM EDT
[#6]
One TDY to Nellis when I was working F-15E's we had a load crew drop a live Mk-84 while they were trying to load it on an acft.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 4:14:37 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
One TDY to Nellis when I was working F-15E's we had a load crew drop a live Mk-84 while they were trying to load it on an acft.

I'll bet that elevated the pucker factor!
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 12:20:02 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Good thing they're the BLUE ones!

BTW... how many times did it bounce?

Did you do a Broken Arrow drill?

Wasn't there to see it fall, but was told it hit than "jiggled" around a little.

Actually someone ran into one of those sunshade poles while trying to run in and tell someone...
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 1:21:58 AM EDT
[#9]
Ooopsie! Somebody wasn't paying attention to detail or following the procedures.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 2:06:38 PM EDT
[#10]
How bad was the ass-chewing?
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 2:33:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 2:51:02 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
How bad was the ass-chewing?

+1
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 2:58:39 PM EDT
[#13]
I'll give uncle sugar $100 bucks for it as is.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 11:23:08 PM EDT
[#14]
You should see how roughly live artillery shells are treated. HE rounds get banged around and dropped so much and so casually, you'd think they were made of rubber.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 12:14:52 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
is it still usable?

+1

-K
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 1:00:25 AM EDT
[#16]
Yeah I remember this. Stupid guys. Sucks they dropped the bomb on their foot though. That had to hurt. I believe the bomb hit the ground and bounced up and landed on one of the guys’ foot. I think it was the 61st or 63AMU, I forget. Happened a while back. But yes I’m sure they learned their lesson. After this everyone had to get trained on using these trailers. Just another thing at load barn I have to load now. Remember to use those extenders and not try to just roll the bomb off the trailer like these guys did. Or better yet, if you don’t know what you are doing stop and ask.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 9:28:10 AM EDT
[#17]
I was going to say it looks like there is 2 fins on the bomb in the background on the 1st pic.

Link Posted: 3/9/2006 4:18:02 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
You should see how roughly live artillery shells are treated. HE rounds get banged around and dropped so much and so casually, you'd think they were made of rubber.

+1

WP is the only stuff you gotta worry about... just don't store it on it's side!

Link Posted: 3/11/2006 2:56:43 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
is it still usable?

BDU-56 (Bomb Body) - Yes
BSU-50 (Tail Assy)- No
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 6:31:24 AM EDT
[#20]
I hate nothing more than having to go write reports for stupid shit like this that could have been avoided

But that's what I get paid for

AF Form 3545
AF Form 1168 (usually numerous)
Probably others I can't think of off the top of my head
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 12:39:56 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Yeah I remember this. Stupid guys. Sucks they dropped the bomb on their foot though. That had to hurt. I believe the bomb hit the ground and bounced up and landed on one of the guys’ foot. I think it was the 61st or 63AMU, I forget. Happened a while back. But yes I’m sure they learned their lesson. After this everyone had to get trained on using these trailers. Just another thing at load barn I have to load now. Remember to use those extenders and not try to just roll the bomb off the trailer like these guys did. Or better yet, if you don’t know what you are doing stop and ask.

It was the 62nd AMU actually. The "Bomb-puller-offer" is "rumored" to have been removed from the air force on an unrelated charge. See you at work man.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 8:54:28 AM EDT
[#22]
when i was stationed overseas, the M203 gunners would typically "spin" a  few of their rounds, so the arming distance was shortened or negated in case they ahd to fire a round close in. well, of course one got dropped about 5 feet after a certain butterfingers was playing with it (we marked them with sharpie) it hit nose first and eveyrone in the room jumped about a foot in the air and almost S*** themselves.hock.gif
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 10:41:28 PM EDT
[#23]
When I was stationed on a tender in Charleston around 1980, I watched an ASROC bounce all the way from the top of the ramp on the ship back down onto the pier. We all held our collective breath and shit our pants as this beast tumbled. Sure, we intelectually knew the baby wasn't armed, but did that make us feel warm and fuzzy, NOOooo way!
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 5:23:11 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
When I was stationed on a tender in Charleston around 1980, I watched an ASROC bounce all the way from the top of the ramp on the ship back down onto the pier. We all held our collective breath and shit our pants as this beast tumbled. Sure, we intelectually knew the baby wasn't armed, but did that make us feel warm and fuzzy, NOOooo way!

Nice, saw a TLAM being offloaded from a ship drop about 25 feet. Didn't smash into the deck but I don't recall us sending that one back out... Gotta wonder about foreign contractors sometimes.

Better yet once we were doing a AIM-7 shoot and for whatever reason the plane came back with a hangfire. After going back out to the CALA and getting ready to download the missile the gas port shot off with a hell of a loud noice and gas started shooting out of the port. As I recall everyone (except for the chief and the gunner) soiled ourselves and dove behind any kind of cover we could find. After they got done laughing at us we proceeded to finish the job.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top