Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/20/2006 7:39:01 AM EDT
Upon graduation from the PLC program, I know you are comissioned into the Reserves. How long would it take to get put to active duty? Is everyone who wants to go active duty actually put on active duty? Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 7:54:29 AM EDT
[#1]
I far as I know you are commissioned and then wait for the next rotation of TBS. You are then active once you go thru TBS.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 8:05:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Well, at the OSO's office we had some guys fresh out of OCS helping out. One had got put on active duty after 1 month, the other was still waiting. Neither had gone to TBS, but were scheduled to in Nov. Would someone who takes scholarship $ be taken before those who don't because they've invested more money in you (and would have to pay the non-scholarship takers more)?
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 8:25:58 AM EDT
[#3]
I don't  have that answer. My son did PLC and did not get any money from the gov't. Was the one who was active ROTC or PLC? That might be the difference.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 8:39:11 AM EDT
[#4]
Both were PLC. I'm enrolled in the program now and am going to OCS over the summer for my 1st 6 weeks. I know you can take scholarship money, but it erases the extra years you get on the pay chart if you do. Is your son active now?
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 8:48:10 AM EDT
[#5]
He is PLC Law. He did OCS for 10 weeks between Junior and Senior yr. He was then commissioned and placed inactive reserve. He was promoted in two years of 1st LT. He graduates this May. He has to pass the bar and then is active. Then he is in rotation for TBS. The only thing the Gov't gave him was a Platoon Tee Shirt. I paid for everything else .NOW on the other hand my other son is going for NUPOC. (Nuclear Propulson Officer Candidate School) The Navy is giving him 12k signing bonus, and a monthly salary of 3100 while he is in college. Then again he knows what the hell an integral is. I guess the OSO would have the actual answer, ask him and post it here.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 7:41:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Ok, got the response from the OSO. If anyone is interested:

As far as the reserve thing, we are called reserve officers until we augment.  This means that you ARE active duty and have an EAS (end of active service) once you get commissioned.  Around your 3.5 year mark, you put in an augmentation package.  If this package is accepted, you are then considered a regular officer.  Right now augmentation is automatic.
In short, as soon as you graduate, you will get commissioned, then when you report to TBS you will be active duty.  There's usually not that long of a wait at all.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 7:45:04 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Ok, got the response from the OSO. If anyone is interested:

As far as the reserve thing, we are called reserve officers until we augment.  This means that you ARE active duty and have an EAS (end of active service) once you get commissioned.  Around your 3.5 year mark, you put in an augmentation package.  If this package is accepted, you are then considered a regular officer.  Right now augmentation is automatic.
In short, as soon as you graduate, you will get commissioned, then when you report to TBS you will be active duty.  There's usually not that long of a wait at all.

3 1/2 if you receive no monies from the Marines, 4 if you receive the monthly stipends following OCS.  Augmentation is not automatic, but because of the war the rate is now around 98 or so percent, however  if you are a ground combat arms officer you can be augmented out of your MOS into a support MOS.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 7:46:30 PM EDT
[#8]
What exactly is augmentation? Being made a "regular" officer?
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 7:49:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Yes, being augmented from the reserve force to the regular force.

One of the trick they use though is a requirement for you to serve two years after you sign your NAVMC 1 (commissioning document), however after you accept augmentation it takes HQMC about 1 year to send the NAVMC 1, so most guys end up serving 3 years vice the 2 required after accepting augmentation.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 7:51:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Do reserve officers get the same benefits and pay during the time before augmentation?
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 8:01:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Yes, you are an active duty officer with a reserve commission, which doesn't mean anything really.  The only requirement to have a regular commission is by the time you are a field grade on active duty.  Prior to that you can (and as often the case of aviators) remain on active duty with a reserve commission for a very long time.

Because of the requirement to have, I believe 18 months (may be 20 or 24, it has been a while) of observed Fitness reports many officer are Captains prior to be selected for retention (augmentation).

Also if you are going to be a summer graduate, you may want to make sure your graduation date is prior to May 1st.  Anyone who graduates in May has their date of rank moved back to 1 day after that year's USNA grads.  So technically all that years USNA grads that go Marine will be senior to you for purposes of rank and promotion.  If you commission prior to May first or any other month other than May your date of rank is set  on the actual date.  
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 8:08:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks for the help STLRN. I've wanted to do this since elementary school and it's an awesome feeling to put the wheels in motion. I still have no idea what MOS I would be interested in though.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 11:38:00 PM EDT
[#13]
I have a quick question, as I'm supposed to go not this summer (stupid fucking jaw break requiring plate and four screws) but the next one (between my junior and senior years in college).  When I graduate from the 10-week program (assuming God is on my side and I don't fuck up to make my dream come true), what is my rank, if any?  Am I commisioned then or do I wait until I get my degree?  
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 8:13:46 AM EDT
[#14]
No rank after completing PLC combined (10 week). Once you graduate and have your degree, you become a 2nd LT.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top