Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/19/2006 10:52:25 PM EDT
I'm thinking of making a shadowbox or other display for my dad for next X-mas, and would appreciate some guidance from you guys. I know he will be suprised and appreciative when he gets it.

He enlisted in the Air Force in the early 60's and later did a lateral transfer in the Army, he did 26 years total. I have access for at least some of his DD214's, if not all. Would these show me what awards he is entitled to?

Still kicking around ideas, but I figure I will include his ribbons and medals, and maybe his rank insignia. He retired as a CWO3. If I included his rank insignia would it be better to have just his final rank, or all collar brass leading up to CWO3?

I appreciate any ideas given.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 8:57:32 AM EDT
[#1]
The DD214 will list all awards and decorations and is THE plsce to start for a shadow box. I would use the higest rank for display because it's assumed that you start at the bottom and work your way up. If your dad started as an enlisted, I would also include the highest rank he made before getting his bar.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 4:40:43 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I'm thinking of making a shadowbox or other display for my dad for next X-mas, and would appreciate some guidance from you guys. I know he will be suprised and appreciative when he gets it.

He enlisted in the Air Force in the early 60's and later did a lateral transfer in the Army, he did 26 years total. I have access for at least some of his DD214's, if not all. Would these show me what awards he is entitled to?

Still kicking around ideas, but I figure I will include his ribbons and medals, and maybe his rank insignia. He retired as a CWO3. If I included his rank insignia would it be better to have just his final rank, or all collar brass leading up to CWO3?

I appreciate any ideas given.

Contact "Medals of America"  1 800 308 0849  these guys are great, they helped me put together my Dads WWII stuff. Its owned and staffed by Vets with alot of Knowlege.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 4:51:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Their website is;

usmedals.com

Great company! Very helpful.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 8:59:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the help so far guys. I got a hold of the 214's and am starting to see how much work I have ahead of me!

I found out that he made E7 in the AF before transfering to the Army. I have been researching online and found a few questions that need answered, looks like I need to dig out some of his old pics. Did the AF wear a command patch on their uniforms based on where they were stationed? I also found that the 214's only listed the stateside commands even when he was on extended assignment overseas. The army side should be easier as at that time WO's did not wear a branch insignia and were considered to be "officers at large".

I also found pictures of him in his Army class A's, wearing AF ribbons that are prohibited under current regulations (AF Small Arms Expert Marksman &  AF Outstanding Unit ribbon). I going on the assumption that these were authorized back then as they are listed on the Army 214.

Think this will turn out nice when I am done, but was a little more work than I expected.

Link Posted: 3/1/2006 6:20:32 AM EDT
[#5]
The Air Force never wore command patches the way the Army does. While there are command insignia ranging from major AF commands, i.e. 8th Air Force, down to individual squadrons, they are only worn on BDU's or flight suits.

The DD214 has a bloc that breaks down all time in service. Bloc 12 line F lists foreign service. You will need a full copy of your dad's personell file to check for the individual orders to document the actual dates and locations of overseas service.

Air Force marksmanship ribbons are not authorized on an Army uniform. There are numerous ribbons that each service wears that aren't authorized on another service's uniform. A DD214 will list all awards and decorations without regard as to their wearability. I would go ahead and include them in a display. Or even better I would split the display between AF and Army uniforms. I have my Army awards split between my infantry days as a private and my final duty as an MP. The unit I was assigned to as a grunt has numerous unit awards that I was no longer authorized to wear as an MP.

Quoted:
Thanks for the help so far guys. I got a hold of the 214's and am starting to see how much work I have ahead of me!

I found out that he made E7 in the AF before transfering to the Army. I have been researching online and found a few questions that need answered, looks like I need to dig out some of his old pics. Did the AF wear a command patch on their uniforms based on where they were stationed? I also found that the 214's only listed the stateside commands even when he was on extended assignment overseas. The army side should be easier as at that time WO's did not wear a branch insignia and were considered to be "officers at large".

I also found pictures of him in his Army class A's, wearing AF ribbons that are prohibited under current regulations (AF Small Arms Expert Marksman &  AF Outstanding Unit ribbon). I going on the assumption that these were authorized back then as they are listed on the Army 214.

Think this will turn out nice when I am done, but was a little more work than I expected.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top