Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/11/2006 12:48:42 PM EDT
I'll be graduating next year with a degree in mechanical engineering and don't want a typical engineering desk job.

Eventual career goals include federal law enforcment. I was thinking the military would be a good way to get that experience, so I was thinking about OCS.

I was thinking about either intelligence or engineering corps?

Any advice?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 12:58:30 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm a Marine officer and can tell you about Marine OCS but they are all different by service.  I'm not going to start a fight in here by comparing services but if you want to know about Marine OCS let me know.

Link Posted: 2/12/2006 3:57:27 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I'm a Marine officer and can tell you about Marine OCS but they are all different by service.  I'm not going to start a fight in here by comparing services but if you want to know about Marine OCS let me know.

Sure. I'm in the beginning of my research and the more information the better. =)
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 10:41:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Speak with a Army National Guard recruiter. See if your state has a state OCS for NG types. If it does, you can go now. It's a 14 month program, one weekend a month, two weeks both summers. You end up with a federally recognized commission. You can stay in the Guard or go to the Reserves or active Army.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 8:59:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Much more important than what is OCS like is which service (active/reserve/nat guard/boy scouts/etc.) that you choose.  Every service is different with a different ethos (or possible lack therof).  Every service will offer you different options or bonus.  My reccomendation is to talk to the officer recruiter for each service in your area.  They can give you a lot more information.  I can only tell you accuratly about the Marine Corps and I am biased.  You can talk to an enlisted recruiter if you want to but they can't tell you anything about being an officer, they can only tell you what they have seen.  Big difference.  The enlisted recruiter is going to tell you that you should enlist first and then consider a commission, it may or may not make you a better officer.  I have served with an equal number of mustangs that were good and bad officers.  The officer recruiter will of course tell you that you should go straight to OCS and earn your commission.  NEVER forget that all recruiters are salesmen and their #1 goal is to get you to sign up through them.  They really do have a quota.  There is nothing wrong with this but NEVER forget it and apply it to everything you are told.  Boot camp/OCS is not the real Marine Corps/army/navy/air farce.  It is a screening and training process so even if/when you hate it just remember that if the real military was like that nobody would stay in.  

I dont know if this helped at all but if you want some more information shoot me a PM and I'll get into it further.

BTW If anyone has anything else to add feel free but lets not let this turn into a service Pissing match.  You'll all lose.

Chris
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 7:34:31 AM EDT
[#5]
tag
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 12:54:34 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

BTW If anyone has anything else to add feel free but lets not let this turn into a service Pissing match.  You'll all lose. Chris

When I was in Honor Guard at Myer I had some counterparts from 8th & Eye I'd run into at local bars. We'd be cutting each other down and messing with each other. Then some hick/ hippie would start in on us cause we were sevice members. At that point it didn't matter what branch you were in, it was all for one and one for all.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 1:12:24 PM EDT
[#7]
its kinda tough mentally and physically but more mental.  Army is probably the only one that will give you the choices you want.  expect about a third to half to quit before the class is half over - you could be one of them.  have a plan B.  you should have seen that special they had on tv a few months ago about marine ocs.  those sergeants they had running things were pretty sharp but army tac officers are on another level because they are way smarter, mentally quicker, younger, and less forgiving.  even so, the marine ocs story showed some pretty cut up and smart guys bailing after beginning to question themselves.  its been 40 years ago that I did it at 19.  I still can't explain what they did to us.  we went in college drop outs/high school grad jackasses and came out the other end chock full of initiative and barking orders.  it was pretty much the formative experience of my life.  I've been back a time or two, inducted into the hall of fame, and pulled together my class for an internet reunion.  It is good experience, especially if you can still get into the war and practice your new trade.  What I learned then and the many mistakes i made and learned from put me way ahead when it came to leading people later in my late 30's and beyond.  its a great training ground for the rest of your life but you have to really want it.  you gotta be able to do pushups till they get tired of watching you.  you got to exude enthusiasm squared for every little thing they tell you to do.  you have to find those times and places to show initiative and then have the nerve to do it and not fold when they jump on you - moral courage is everything.
Most likely it will be the toughest thing you ever do and the first big no sh#t challenge of your life.  If you are not decisive and confident, try something else.  All of my classmates had great careers in their chosen fields.  Some of them are just names on a wall now.  Take stock of yourself and if you can't decide in 10 minutes its not for you.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top