Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/24/2006 7:36:35 PM EDT
Looks like I'm going to have to get used to saying that, as I just enlisted as an E-1 in the United States Air Force! I already went to MEPS, passed the medical and scored a 94 on my ASVAB, and was pretty much guaranteed one of my top two AFSC choices (I got my #1, 1NO31 Intelligence Applications Apprentice, it's in writing on my contract). I ship to Lackland for BMT on 23 May 2006, with the chance of quick shipping before then if a slot opens up. 6 1/2 weeks at Lackland, then I'm off to Goodfellow for 19 weeks of Tech School. I'm kinda nervous, but excited at the same time.

Any advice as far as getting prepared for BMT? I've lost 60 pounds since January 2005 in order to enlist, and am going to start a running regimine, so physically I think I'll be prepared. I've heard all the stuff about acting as normal as possible in BMT, and my recruiter said to wait until get to Lackland to buy most of my stuff. He said it would be cheaper, and the TI's love uniformity and everybody having the same gear. Anything else that could help me get ready?

w00t!
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 7:13:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Hey Yugo,

I did 4 Active and 16 Guard.  Thinking back to BMT in 1985, I was there in July.  Hot and humid at that time but May - June should be better for you.  These are my recollections / ramblings.

Your's experience will likely differ.  At the time we were fighting the Evil Empire - USSR and I was headed to SAC with a guaranteed AFSC to work BUFFs.  Todays lower intensity conflicts may have caused a change in the training regimine.  

The physical side of the AF basic was not as demanding as the mental side.  I say that because PT starts out slow and picks-up the pace over time.  It is a good idea to get in shape prior by running a couple miles a day.  But don't get too caught-up in getting in steller shape.  The AF doesn't kick you butt liek the Marines do.  They have different roles.

For the mental side, always keep in mind that basic is temporary and never loose sight of the end-game - successfully graduating on-time.  Remember, training is not the "real Air Force."    Some guys lose it and literally throw themselves off the top of the mulit-story training buildings.  They must have been close to the edge before they went in.  Don't get too wigged-out by anything.  Even if you have a rough time there, most of the BS paperwork about you will not follow you throughout your career.  

You will have been successful if during your last mail-call prior to PCS, the TI calls your name and has no idea who you are.  Don't volunteer for anything unless you smoke.  If you take on laundry duty, you can smoke and BS with the boys while waiting for the clothes to get done.  

I volunteered to be a Squad Leader.  Not too bad a job but every screw-up my Flight of 13 guys had was a pain for me to resolve because the TI is yelling at the Dorm Chief, who is yelling at me and I gotta get my troop's problem resolved NOW.  At one point the TI threatened to prevent me from getting Honor Grad due to my Flight's performance.  It was in fact a threat but not enforcable.  

Don't be a comedian, wise-ass, etc.  You don't want to stand-out in any way other than quietly getting good scores all tests and meetign the PT requirements.  Anonomity with the NCOs is a good thing.  We had one guy who liked to pop-off now and then, yes it was funny, but he got the Squadron into trouble.  To rectify the situation, one night while we Squad Leaders and the Dorm Chief were all fast asleep, the troops threw a blanket party on this guy.  The next day he complained about it, and of course all of us in "leadership" positions had slept peacefully throughout the night and didn't hear a thing (he didn't get as roughed-up as Pvt. Pile in Full Metal Jacket did, but it was close).  It did straighten his ass out and we stopped doing pushups for the knucklehead.  He also graduated on-time.

I gotta go, but finally let me pass on to you the best advice I have ever heard concerining Boot Camp.  When you are getting your ass chewed up one side and down the other, you can feel the heat and spit from the TI in your face, your hot and pissed and thinking of doing something stupid - like take a swing (which the TI would love for you to do 'cause if you do, it shows you are weak.  If you can't take the verbal abuse in your face, how the heck are you going to be there when the SHTF and you bud's need you to do your job.)  Remember this phrase, "it's not the way the TI is saying it, it is what the TI is saying that matters..."  If you get caught-up in the WAY things are being said, you will get pissed and miss the point.  WHen you first get to BMT, the TI will yell at you 'cause you're there.  After two weeks, he's generally yelling because someone has screwed-up and deserves to be straightened-out.  DON'T GET CAUGHT-UP IN THE WAY THE MESSAGE IS CONVEYED - LISTEN TO THE MESSAGE AND CORRECT YOUR BEHAVIOR.  That worked really well for me 20+ yrs ago and will hopefully help you too.

Gotta help give my son a bath now.  Good luck and thanks for defending the Greatest Country on God's green earth.  We have our warts, but the US knows the difference between good an evil and acts accordingly.

Regards,

John (USAF Ret.)

Link Posted: 1/27/2006 2:19:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Sir, Trainee Airman Pratt reports as ordered

Fixed that for ya,

It's been over 11 years since I went through Lackland and since then things have changed a lot.  If you read through this thread you'll find a couple of guys that have just recently gone though basic who can fill you in better on what it's like.

Good luck,

2A373, TSgt, USAF
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 2:24:10 AM EDT
[#3]
There's an MTI on this board too, maybe you could ask him for a few pointers.

USAF 87-91
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 4:03:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Congratulations on your decision.

It's been a while since I've been to BMT (arrived LAFB 21 Sep, 1977), but I'm sure some principles remain the same.

One thing that will be emphasized is team work.  Never say, "It's not my job" when asked why something isn't done.  If the guy next to you is having a tough time getting squared away, don't put your feet up and say, "Well, my stuff is good to go."

Basic Concepts:

Put effort into it.  Don't be satisfied with meeting the minimum.

Listen more than talk.

Do not take food out of the chow hall. (I saw a TI tear into a guy who walked out with an ice cream cone.  It was entertaining for us, but it sucked to be him.)

When you get your pass to go into town, going to the observation deck of the Tower of the Americas will confirm that you are indeed in the middle of nowhere.

Remember, if you're not having fun you're doing it wrong. (This one will serve you for years to come.)

If you get KP duty and drop silverware into the industrial strength disposal, do NOT look down into the drain.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 11:55:45 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 12:14:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Basic at Lackand AFB is different today then it was in the early 80s when I went through. Enjoy the experience, it can be fun if you want it to be fun.

You will need to learn this song.....

The Air Force Song (full lyrics)

by Robert Crawford

Off we go into the wild blue yonder,
Climbing high into the sun;
Here they come zooming to meet our thunder,
At 'em boys, Give 'er the gun! (Give 'er the gun now!)
Down we dive, spouting our flame from under,
Off with one helluva roar!
We live in fame or go down in flame. Hey!
Nothing'll stop the U.S. Air Force!

Additional verses:

Minds of men fashioned a crate of thunder,
Sent it high into the blue;
Hands of men blasted the world asunder;
How they lived God only knew! (God only knew then!)
Souls of men dreaming of skies to conquer
Gave us wings, ever to soar!
With scouts before And bombers galore. Hey!

Bridge: "A Toast to the Host"

Here's a toast to the host
Of those who love the vastness of the sky,
To a friend we send a message of his brother men who fly.
We drink to those who gave their all of old,
Then down we roar to score the rainbow's pot of gold.
A toast to the host of men we boast, the U.S. Air Force!

Zoom!

Off we go into the wild sky yonder,
Keep the wings level and true;
If you'd live to be a grey-haired wonder
Keep the nose out of the blue! (Out of the blue, boy!)
Flying men, guarding the nation's border,
We'll be there, followed by more!
In echelon we carry on. Hey!

Link Posted: 1/27/2006 4:36:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the advice and kind words y'all.

2A373, I was under the impression that prior to graduation of BMT you are referred to as a trainee; only after BMT are you an 'airman'. Is that true?

btw, thanks for the link. I'll check thread out when I have some more time tomorrow.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 5:35:36 PM EDT
[#8]
When I was there it was Airman starting at day 1.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 7:54:31 PM EDT
[#9]
hmm, noted and fixed.

Thanks
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 7:57:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Unless you want to get beatup by some soldiers from Ft Sam, don't be crying about "only" getting time to go out on weekends and having to do so in uniform, and then when asked if you are tech school reply no, Basic Training.

That used to always piss me off when I was in AIT.  I switched MOS's and had to be treated like a FNG again as a 4 yr vet.

Good luck, and welcome to the family.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 8:20:06 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Unless you want to get beatup by some soldiers from Ft Sam, don't be crying about "only" getting time to go out on weekends and having to do so in uniform, and then when asked if you are tech school reply no, Basic Training.

That used to always piss me off when I was in AIT.  I switched MOS's and had to be treated like a FNG again as a 4 yr vet.

I dont know what AF basic you heard of but nobody ever got to leave on the weekend when I was in
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 8:24:50 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I dont know what AF basic you heard of but nobody ever got to leave on the weekend when I was in

Only the day after graduation when I went through in 1998.

SSgt Lapp, USAF
T2A672, Instructor, AGE Apprentice Course
82d SFS Augmentee
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 8:29:48 AM EDT
[#13]
This was in 92, they were at  Tony Roma's on the River Walk and were whining that they only got to go out in uniform for the weekend because they were in Basic.  Slick sleeve Airman Basic no ribbons, nada new boots.

Of course the only reason I was in civvies was that I was an NCO.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 8:42:54 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
This was in 92, they were at  Tony Roma's on the River Walk and were whining that they only got to go out in uniform for the weekend because they were in Basic.  Slick sleeve Airman Basic no ribbons, nada new boots.

Of course the only reason I was in civvies was that I was an NCO.

Town pass day, you only get one and it's near graduation.   You damned sure dont go out on the weekends.  
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 8:53:47 AM EDT
[#15]
Congrats, I did 4 as a 3E751 Firefighter and also had Tech school at Goodfellow!! Goodfellow is a small base in West Texas and not much going on.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 10:04:21 AM EDT
[#16]
You'd have had a mean time in an Irish/British basic. Does 'pratt' have the same colloquial meaning in the US as it does there? I don't recall people using it.

Oh well, welcome aboard to the US Military. Always glad to have another with us.

NTM
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 12:06:40 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
You'd have had a mean time in an Irish/British basic. Does 'pratt' have the same colloquial meaning in the US as it does there? I don't recall people using it.

Oh well, welcome aboard to the US Military. Always glad to have another with us.

NTM

No it doesn't. What does it mean across the pond?
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 12:22:25 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

It's trainee until you complete warrior week and are presented with your Airman's Coin.

Until that point, you're a lowly trainee.

and then, someday, you may earn one of these:
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 3:01:20 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's trainee until you complete warrior week and are presented with your Airman's Coin.
i1.tinypic.com/msc56a.jpg
Until that point, you're a lowly trainee.

and then, someday, you may earn one of these:
i1.tinypic.com/mscg0m.jpg

When did they start that?  And I want my NCO coin, I earned it over six years ago.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 4:56:43 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 6:29:33 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

And I want my NCO coin, I earned it over six years ago.

I earned my NCO coin in 1987, can I get one
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 6:41:53 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

And I want my NCO coin, I earned it over six years ago.

I earned my NCO coin in 1987, can I get one

I put on Staff in February 2003, and I didn't even get an induction ceremony...
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 5:03:06 AM EDT
[#23]
NCO coin?

1981 for me.  No coin.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 9:18:55 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Somewhere between jackass and asshole.

Sorry.

NTM
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 10:41:33 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Somewhere between jackass and asshole.

Sorry.

NTM

Damn, my family must have been quite a bunch of hellraisers back in the day to earn that title. (Note to self: Leave the UK off the dream sheet...)

Oh, and title changed again
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 10:52:56 PM EDT
[#26]
Ugh, Goodfellow. Nasty water, tiny town, little to nothing to do...and I wasn't on the Phase program during my training there. Don't get too discouraged though, it's only temporary. Congrats on your decision to enlist and Good Luck!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top