Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/7/2006 4:45:20 AM EDT
I am really debating with myself right now. I really want to go back into the Army, but do I want to go back into Intelligence and be a REMF again, or do I want to go back in a combat arms MOS and deal with having to do make work details.

I prefer being out in the field and in Intelligence we rarely went out in the field and I spent most of my days typing reports.

I also know that combat arms units are way more physically demanding, which I have no problem with.

Anybody have any ideas that will help me decide on what MOS?
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 5:04:38 AM EDT
[#1]
stay MI

Get ABN

go SF

Join SOTA or SOTB.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 9:30:16 AM EDT
[#2]
If you're gonna go infantry, go Ranger or SF, cuz the regular infantry is teh suck.  It's a hell of a lot of hard training, but it will pay off in the end.  Besides, you don't wanna be the part of the army that screws everything up just so the Marines can come back in a nd fix it for you again.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 1:17:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 1:37:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Combat Engineer.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 1:50:54 PM EDT
[#5]
If I could go back and change my MOS, I wouldn't be 11B anymore.

It was fun for a few years, but now it just sucks.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 4:43:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Pick the MOS that will afford you greater opportunities when you eventually leave the Army.  I loved my time in the Infantry and found it a formative experience for the rest of my career. I did however branch transfer to something that would afford me a second career opportunity once I retire.

Good Luck
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 4:44:29 PM EDT
[#7]
double posted like some idiot
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 11:53:54 PM EDT
[#8]
WHY do a second round of service anyway?  I of course support military service, but you have already served!  That is a rather tough financial change going from civilian to military again.  
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 12:26:02 AM EDT
[#9]
Stay Intel.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 1:09:13 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
WHY do a second round of service anyway?  I of course support military service, but you have already served!  That is a rather tough financial change going from civilian to military again.  

Maybe 'cause he's tired of dealing with chowderhead civilians and civilian bullshit all the time.  At least that's the reason I want back in, if only the Guard.  You kinda get institutionalized, like Morgan Freeman in the Shawshank Redemption:

"These walls are kind of funny. First you hate 'em, then you get used to 'em. Enough time passes, gets so you depend on them."

Nah, I miss the comraderie and the fun parts of the job.  The poster's reasons may vary.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 1:25:59 AM EDT
[#11]
So he wanted a chnage of scenery from civilian BS to military BS :) LOL

I found the more and more I was around the military agains after so many years (contracting in Iraq) was that they were pretty petty and annoying, just as much as civilians!

Example: I am working out at a gym on base and a E-8 stops and ask me if I am a soldier.  I was wearing a civy t-shirt and Army PT shorts.  The guy obviously just wanted to bother somebody; if I was civilian he could bitch about me not being in full pt uniform; but as I wasa civilain he bitched about me wearing part of their pt uniform.  Because we don't want to confuse anyone in thinking we were combatants.  So DoD civilians wearing DCU's doesn't confuse the enemy; contractors wearing body armor, kevlars, and carrying weapons doesn't confuse the enemy; Charlie Daniels wearing DCU's with full military tags on it doesn't confuse the enemy.  But me wearing pt shorts in the gym confuses the whole thing!  I never saw any insurgents in the gym either....  Petty military BS.  You name it, petty BS bastards will complain about it and they often did.

The whole reduction in rank and drop in pay just makes militray service again, impossible.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 1:56:04 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Example: I am working out at a gym on base and a E-8 stops and ask me if I am a soldier.  I was wearing a civy t-shirt and Army PT shorts.  The guy obviously just wanted to bother somebody; if I was civilian he could bitch about me not being in full pt uniform; but as I wasa civilain he bitched about me wearing part of their pt uniform.  Because we don't want to confuse anyone in thinking we were combatants.  So DoD civilians wearing DCU's doesn't confuse the enemy; contractors wearing body armor, kevlars, and carrying weapons doesn't confuse the enemy; Charlie Daniels wearing DCU's with full military tags on it doesn't confuse the enemy.  But me wearing pt shorts in the gym confuses the whole thing!  I never saw any insurgents in the gym either....  Petty military BS.  You name it, petty BS bastards will complain about it and they often did.

Link Posted: 1/10/2006 4:43:24 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Pick the MOS that will afford you greater opportunities when you eventually leave the Army.  I loved my time in the Infantry and found it a formative experience for the rest of my career. I did however branch transfer to something that would afford me a second career opportunity once I retire.

Good Luck

Yup, because the Army really isn't about keeping America safe, it's just a large vocational training school without that fat chick (Sally Struthers?, the same one IIRC that was doing the aid commercials for African, and that South Park made fun of) to be in it's ads.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 4:48:51 AM EDT
[#14]
Although not many of the job skills of a Combat Engineer are used by me day to day in my job as an electrician, the other skills I learned are invaluable to me.  I learned to keep my head when the shit hits the fan, how to be a leader and motivator and how to deal effectively with people.  Granted if I were in an office job a lot of my "people" skills wouldn't cut it, but since I work with a bunch of hard hat wearing construction workers, it's all good.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 8:07:27 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
So he wanted a chnage of scenery from civilian BS to military BS :) LOL

I found the more and more I was around the military agains after so many years (contracting in Iraq) was that they were pretty petty and annoying, just as much as civilians!

The whole reduction in rank and drop in pay just makes militray service again, impossible.

That's where you smile sweetly at him and say: "Call me SIR...."
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 8:02:53 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Maybe 'cause he's tired of dealing with chowderhead civilians and civilian bullshit all the time.  At least that's the reason I want back in, if only the Guard.  You kinda get institutionalized, like Morgan Freeman in the Shawshank Redemption:

"These walls are kind of funny. First you hate 'em, then you get used to 'em. Enough time passes, gets so you depend on them."

Nah, I miss the comraderie and the fun parts of the job.  The poster's reasons may vary.

So now he can deal with chowderhead army guys and army bullshit all of the time?  At least in teh civilian world, you can say "fuck you" to your boss and leave.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 4:44:03 PM EDT
[#17]
I’ve been in a Tread Head Battalion and a Grunt Battalion.

Given the choices and the selection you’ve given us:

Go to the Oxymoron Ballatlion.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 11:00:58 PM EDT
[#18]

At least in teh civilian world, you can say "fuck you" to your boss and leave.

Before I switched to contracting I asked my employer for a $5/hour raise and another week of vacation.  Neither of which were out of line for the situation.  I heard every excuse under the sun and all were BS.  Later I told him I would be taking a leave of absence...for a few years or so!  The look he gave me was priceless!  And from what I hear from my contacts there, they haven't been able to find a suitable replacement for me either.  It just gives me a chuckle, so much for "being easily replaced."  I never used the FU phrase though, I don't believe in burning bridges when you don't have to.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 4:39:50 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

At least in teh civilian world, you can say "fuck you" to your boss and leave.

Before I switched to contracting I asked my employer for a $5/hour raise and another week of vacation.  Neither of which were out of line for the situation.  I heard every excuse under the sun and all were BS.  Later I told him I would be taking a leave of absence...for a few years or so!  The look he gave me was priceless!  And from what I hear from my contacts there, they haven't been able to find a suitable replacement for me either.  It just gives me a chuckle, so much for "being easily replaced."  I never used the FU phrase though, I don't believe in burning bridges when you don't have to.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top