Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/4/2006 10:08:28 AM EDT
I'm currently waiting out a required 1 year after the last date of taking a medication for ADD.  I was able to make an appointment with the Navy Reserve recruiter, but the Air Force Reserve recruiter said that until my waiting period is up, there isn't anything he can do for me.  Is that normal?

This seems kind of strange cause every recruiter from all the other services I tell this too are still more then willing to talk with me, and fill out my info in thier comps (like full name, SSN, religion, stuff like that).

I know the Air Force in general is doing very well with thier recruiting, but are they doing so well that they will only speak with potential recuits who are ready to be sent to MEPS right away or something?

I'm just wondering, cause I'm mostly interested in the Air Force, so if there is any paperwork I could get out of the way now, then I would like to get it done.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 10:24:43 AM EDT
[#1]
What field are you interested in?
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 11:33:58 AM EDT
[#2]
He didn't ask, and I didn't say.  Thats why its kind of strange to me.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 2:07:42 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
He didn't ask, and I didn't say.  Thats why its kind of strange to me.

You have no idea what field you want to enter?
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 9:55:34 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Translation:  What job* do you want? AFSC (Air Force Specialty Code)

Fixed.

If you still answer "He didn't ask, and I didn't say. . ." then I suggest you apply for the Navy's "Apprenticeship Training" program where you will learn to operate complex machinery such as swabs (mops), paint brushes, brooms and chipping hammers.

Ex-ET2, USN.
Current SSgt., WA ANG
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 12:00:20 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Translation:  What job* do you want? AFSC (Air Force Specialty Code)

Fixed.

If you still answer "He didn't ask, and I didn't say. . ." then I suggest you apply for the Navy's "Apprenticeship Training" program where you will learn to operate complex machinery such as swabs (mops), paint brushes, brooms and chipping hammers.

Ex-ET2, USN.
Current SSgt., WA ANG

Good one!
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 12:32:02 AM EDT
[#6]
The AF is planning a reduction in force.

From Military.com

Air Force leaders have discussed a proposal aimed at reducing the number of total-force personnel by about 40,000. The proposed reduction would start in fiscal 2006 through 2011 and affect active duty, Reserve, Guard and civilian positions. According to Air Force officials the first step will be to balance and reshape the force to ensure that open positions in stressed career fields are filled.

Link Posted: 1/5/2006 12:40:42 AM EDT
[#7]
I was a week from basic when I got mono, at which point the AF told me it would be a year before I could go.  The recruited told me to stay in touch, and after a year was up he would re-accomplish the paperwork.

I'm sure that he wants to wait, because when accomplishing this paperwork, etc, the info will need to be as current as possible; other than just talking to you about the AF, there probably wouldn't be a lot to be gained from filling anything out now.

Link Posted: 1/5/2006 12:50:32 AM EDT
[#8]
You have to wait the one year, get letters from your last school attended that proves you had no tudoring or assistance, and you will also need a police background check when you get to the end of the one year. Trust me, if you can wait the one year do it. Don't settle for less. If  you join another branch, good for you, but you'll be kicking your own ass forever. I have enlisted MANY people in your posistion, you can do it.

lowdrag
AF Recruiter
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 4:53:54 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Don't settle for less. If  you join another branch, good for you, but you'll be kicking your own ass forever.

lowdrag
AF Recruiter

Why would he be kicking his ass if he joins, say the Army? If the Air Force makes him wait, and he doesn’t feel he needs to wait, while another branch can offer him a position in the field he has intentions of entering, why should he wait?

I’m in civilian aviation now. What branch did I join? Not the Air Force………I joined the Army. And I don’t regret it one bit.

Let the boy make up his own mind, don’t paint pictures of the other branches as being inferior.  
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 5:09:02 AM EDT
[#10]
We aren't going to get into another golf course arguement are we?  
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 5:46:23 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
We aren't going to get into another golf course arguement are we?  

Nope. I spent my last three years of High School in AF JROTC and was prepared to join the Air Force. The field I wanted to enter was rotary wing aircraft maintenance, the Army had to offer what I wanted, so I joined.

No inter-service rivalry or bashing here. Just don’t want to see KodiakChaos pass up other opportunities in other branches because someone tells him

Don't settle for less. If you join another branch, good for you, but you'll be kicking your own ass forever.

That’s just plain BS there!  
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 5:38:56 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

I know the Air Force in general is doing very well with thier recruiting, but are they doing so well that they will only speak with potential recuits who are ready to be sent to MEPS right away or something?

Evidently the Air Force is doing really well.

So well in fact that they have no use for anyone with prior service, and can rule out qualified applicants based on things like tattoos.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 9:29:11 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

So well in fact that they have no use for anyone with prior service, and can rule out qualified applicants based on things like tattoos.

Well we are in the middle of another force shaping.

Which means in five years we will be playing catch-up because of how well it was implimented.  
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 10:38:04 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well we are in the middle of another force shaping.

Which means in five years we will be playing catch-up because of how well it was implimented.  

In just the right time for me to make master...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top