Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/21/2005 12:35:55 PM EDT
Well after 5yrs on AD I got out and hooked up with the NG, now I'm wanting to go back to AD, what it the process like? I'll notify my unit, they'll start the paperwork but then what? Will I have to go back to MEPS? Will I have to see an AD recruiter? I was in the IRR for 6mo before going into the NG, been in the NG for 2mo, still haven't even gotten a new uniform issue, will I just get this when I report to AD or will I be expected to show up with uniforms? If I start the paperwork today how quickly could I expect to get orders? Anyone think I'll be eligible for a bonus? Will I keep my rank (e-5)?
Hoping a recruiter or someone else who has gone thru this reads this......
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 4:09:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 5:27:06 PM EDT
[#2]
A lot depends on your Command; I know that in Washington, some soldiers are having a difficult time going AD if they still have a commitment to the NG.

They may tell you to piss up a rope and that you can go AD when you ETS from the NG. Remember it's all about the numbers especially for the National Guard.

I hope you have an easier time than some soldiers I know!

Link Posted: 12/22/2005 12:47:12 AM EDT
[#3]
Go talk to the AD recruiter, not a guard recruiter.  You probably have to go thru MEPS and don't be suprised if you lose a stripe.  The more they want you the better the deal, just like always.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 2:41:17 AM EDT
[#4]
anybody with first hand experience?
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 2:14:39 PM EDT
[#5]
I talked to AD recruiter, filled out some forms my CO signed off on them and I was on my way to AD minus 2 stripes.  Depends on MOS and if your unit CO is a dick.

I made my rank back quick though.

SSG D
MP
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 2:19:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Go to the GKO website online and volunteer to be activated with some Guard unit.  Once you are title 10 active you can transfer directly to active duty at the end of your Guard mission, and it will be seamless with no loss of rank, TIG, etc.  I have seen them take Guard soldiers as high as E-7 this year with no rank reduction.

If you are an 11B, 13F or 19D they might be especially happy to see you.

If you want to deploy, doing back to back Guard missions, even those stateside, can be a good deal.  Activated Guardsmen often rack up more allowances than RA soldiers, for example single soldiers in the barracks can collect full housing allowances, even if they don't have any housing expense at home.

Also, the regular recruiters are generally pretty clueless about this,you'll need to do research to learn more about it.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 7:48:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 8:01:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Also depends on what State you are in. Here in MN the TAG has made it a policy to have all transfers be approved by him, or one of his staff types.  We are also in the middle of deploying a BCT to OIF so that has its impact on everything.
Prior to that, me as a Troop Cdr would sign off the paperwork, forward it to the Sqd Cdr and he would agree with whatever my decision was on the subject.

Good Luck,

SCOUTS OUT
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 8:03:09 PM EDT
[#9]
I just noticed that you are in OR. Isn't the 41st BCT heading over to A-stan here this spring? How is that for convienent! Last I looked about 900 soldiers out of the west coast there are going.

Happy Happy Joy Joy.

SCOUTS OUT
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 8:03:41 PM EDT
[#10]
it might be a little different on the Marine side, but my dad and brother are guard and my bro did this with his AG unit. he had some issues with his unit not wanting to help him leave them. he ended up going to a recruiter.

DO NOT let them take a stripe. thats friggin bullshit. dont take that from your own branch of service.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 8:23:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top