Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/16/2005 12:49:43 PM EDT
Reason I post this, is just for re-assuarance and another POV. My parents are fairly republican, but they really against me joining. They have tried everything they can to discourage me from enlisting. My father is a vet, and hes been trying to disuade me from joining since I was a child, and my mom isn't very educated on the subject but she sticks right next to my father. The same could be said about my sister, and my dad gets all his friends and and war vets to tell me that I'm throwing my life away and making a really stupid decision.

I just want another point of view. I know that the majority of the time in the military isn't high speed low drag kind of shit, its more of shit duty type. Yet after 17 years of him nailing into my that its a really stupid idea to join the military, its starting to affect me.

So I come here to ask y'all...if it was worth it? I don't need any sugar coatings or anything, I just want the truth.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 1:18:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Do you want to find out who you really are? Raise your right hand. I've never been so cold, hungry, in pain, pissed off and still had a mission to execute. It builds character like no other job in the world. The military isn't for everyone but everyone should try it. You will be part of a team and a family that will stay with you the rest of your life. Yeah, you have to put up with alot of crap to get the rewards, but the rewards far out weigh the cost. There is no occupation more honorable than military service. The secret to a great life is serve something greater than yourself.

I was the nerd you all saw in school with the tape holding my glasses on my face and scared of my own shadow. I was the one who got my lunch money stolen and laughed at by all the girls.  Fuck them, pussies now. I've accomplished more in my life than they could ever dream. You haven't lived until you conquered your fears, faced death and lived to tell about it.

The media makes it look like the poor soldiers got sent to war. The only thing worse than a guy who does one tour and then bad mouths the military the rest of his life is the guy who retires then bad mouths the military the rest of his life.

The truth is the Army taught me how to be a hunter and predator and set me loose on the fucking terrorists. Yeah baby. When I got off the plane in Iraq, it wasn't "poor me, I want to survive this tour". It was, "Run motherf*ckers, cause I'm here now".

You want to start building character? Look your parents in the eye and make your own decision despite what they say. Then sign up and never look back.

There is nothing I can't do and nothing I'm afraid of because of my Army training and service.

There is an Army commercial on TV right now. It's a dad and his son who just got back from basic training sitting on the porch. Man looks at his son and says "You did two things when you got off the bus you never did before". Kid says "What". The dad says "You looked me in the eye and you shook my hand. Where'd that come from?"  

You can't buy that kind of pride.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 1:27:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Your parents and your dads friends are probably from the Vietnam generation. This is not Vietnam, the military is not the Vietnam or post-vietnam military. It is a military of professional volunteers.

Part of growing up is letting go of the apron strings. Men make their own decisions.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 9:47:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 9:55:16 PM EDT
[#4]
I will regret til the day I die and beyond making the choice to leave active military service.  The time I spent in the Military is without question the most fulfilling part of my life to date.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 11:28:32 PM EDT
[#5]
I couldn't agree more with all the above replies. The real kicker is going back home and seeing your friends doing the same lame ass shit you would be doing if you didn't join the military. I have served in 3 theaters and visited 9 countries since I've been in the military. All of that was done within my first 3 years. Now I'm stationed back in the US and it's starting to get a bit too routine. If you join up try to get overseas. The friends, experience, knowledge, training, and wisdom you will remember for a lifetime. Don't listen to your parents join up and their support will follow and they will be proud of you. When I got out of basic training and saw my parents it was just like that new Army commercial. I also think it sounds like your parents have that Vietnam mindset. You could show them the new standard of living but like all parents they won't listen to you because it's coming from their kid. Just go forward and don't look back!
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 12:33:25 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I will regret til the day I die and beyond making the choice to leave active military service.  The time I spent in the Military is without question the most fulfilling part of my life to date.

I know how you feel, brother.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 5:27:15 AM EDT
[#7]
Very well said TANGOCHASER.   And I agree 100%.  The only thing I regret about the Military is that I didn't stay in and left after my time was up.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 6:49:58 AM EDT
[#8]
become a civilian security contractor,  same chance to get blown up,  better paycheck, less BS
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 7:57:52 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I know how you feel, brother.

+1
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 12:21:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Tangochaser hit the nail RIGHT ON THE HEAD. It sounds like you got your head on straight to me. Get in line and do it,, man

Shit details-check.
Mickey Mouse bullshit-check
Pain in the ass leaders-check
Stupid shit coming down from higher, just to fuck with you -check

The most HONORABLE, REWARDING, MEANINGFUL, SAISFYING thing you will ever do in your life -double check.
If you know what you want to do, do it. Millions before you have stood up and taken responsibility, now you can to.

Good luck, God speed and Go infantry. ( That last one was a hint )
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 12:23:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Oh yeah I should add that if an Old POS like me is getting back in the game, well you know what's keeping you. (Naval Coastal Wafare) See you in the Fleet, son!
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 12:28:18 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Shit details-check.

The most HONORABLE, REWARDING, MEANINGFUL, SAISFYING thing you will ever do in your life -double check.
If you know what you want to do, do it. Millions before you have stood up and taken responsibility, now you can to.

That's the best I've ever seen it summed up. It gets old, REALLY OLD sometimes, but we drive on anyway. +1 on going Infantry.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 12:38:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Thanks for the support y'all, its reassuring to hear this.

I think have i've already made my decision to sign the dotted line in the future
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 2:07:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Sir,
As previously stated, the military is not for everyone. You will learn more about yourself than most people ever want to know. You will find out what you are really capable of . You will meet the men who will mean more to you than any other. You will understand that there are people willing to die for you and that you are willing to die for. This is where you are headed. Think about it and make your own decision
Do not under any circumstances kid yourself into believing that a greatful nation will reward you. Politicians will just as soon take the bread out of your families mouth as not and then put the savings in their own pockets. The average citizen will turn his back on you if it becomes fashionable, but you will become a member of a new family that will admire you above all others.
So if you decide to join up, Welcome to the Family little Brother!

(a Vietnam era vet and damn proud of it)  
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 3:50:40 PM EDT
[#15]
I went back in several months ago after quite a long time being out, I'm glad I'm back in and don't plan on leaving again until they make me leave.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 4:32:13 PM EDT
[#16]
I served 8 years in two branches. I have become a little jaded so I'll tell you what I will tell my son when the time comes; The wealthiest people in this country, the people with the most to lose when the American way of life is threatened do not serve in the armed forces. They let the lower classes do the fighting and they get richer. They send their kids to Harvard. We send our kids to Parris Island. They start the wars. We fight them. Who's the fool?
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 5:14:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 5:33:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Not to blow off everyone here, but for a second, forget everything they've said.

Look at yourself. Deep deep down.

Do you want to? do YOU want to?

Now's the time to do what YOU feel is right....what YOU want to do.

Joining the military is a big commitment. Do it, or don't do it, because that's what  YOU decide.

back to what the others have said, they are 100% correct. While not a walk in the park, I never regret the day i raised my right hand.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 6:58:20 PM EDT
[#19]
I had a burning desire to join the USMC when I was a kid.  There was no choice in my mind and joined when I was 17 years old.  As a Canadian living in Canada, I had to jump through some hoops, but I was able to do it.  My recruiter tried to persuade me to go into a Motor-T MOS, but I would not hear of it.  I wanted Infantry and that is what I got.  In my mind, why join the USMC if you're not going to shoot weapons and blow stuff up.  I served my 4 years and deployed twice overseas.  I wouldn't be the person I am without joining the Corps.  

Keeping this in mind, there were days that I loved it and there were days that I hated it.  The best times were good training and being with the best of friends.  The bad times were attributed to the bullshit "fuck-fuck" games.  I look back on my 4 years with extreme pride and some great memories, but I'm also glad I did not re-enlist - I was ready to move on.    

My advice is to join if you have a burning desire.  If you have doubts, think long and hard about your decision.  Good luck.

Dan
Corporal, USMC '86 to '90
Bravo Co 1/1 Weapons Platoon
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 1:20:49 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Tangochaser hit the nail RIGHT ON THE HEAD. It sounds like you got your head on straight to me. Get in line and do it,, man

Shit details-check.

+1

However, there's a time when the stupidity and bullshit are too much.

If you're a man that honors common sense, run far far away from the military.
Almost everything you do, will be stupid and retarded....and if only 2minutes of planning before the leader acted, everything would have turned out just fine.

In combat, you really see who the good squad leaders/team leaders/officers are.

This is one soldier who is for sure not staying in.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 1:22:43 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

I think have i've already made my decision to sign the dotted line in the future

I'm sorry you made that choice but good luck on it.  Hope it's everything you hope it will be.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 3:42:28 AM EDT
[#22]
My parents raised me.

I grew up (matured) in the military.  I had my 18th birthday in Basic Training, which somehow (blessedly) passed unnoticed.

Even if you just do one enlistment and get out, the experience will stay with you the rest of your life.  After four years in the service you will be a very different person than if you had spent those four years in your home town.

Keep in mind it's not for everybody.  Some people can't adapt, cope, or just aren't otherwise suited for it.

If it's in your heart to do it, and you believe you have the mettle, my advice is to go for it.

If you don't, one day, when you're to old for it, you'll be wondering, "What if...?"
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 3:45:36 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
"hen I got off the plane in Iraq, it wasn't "poor me, I want to survive this tour". It was, "Run motherf*ckers, cause I'm here now".

That's sigline material!
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 4:02:17 AM EDT
[#24]
The only change I made was from Army Airborne(my dad was in the 101st and I wanted to join the same outfit) to the Air Force.  My dad said, he wanted to join the army air corps but got side tracked.  He liked the combat and excitment of WWII, not the garrison bullshit and crappy living.  

Until you actually sign on to something bigger than yourself you never really make a commitment in your life.  For the rest of your life you will be a veteran, you will have earned your right to bitch about the military, the right to smile on every veterans holiday, the pride of service.

Working outside all night in below zero weather to fix airplanes, bringing light, shelter and water to a thousand guys who are frying in a desert or freezing in the snow, defending a nation against both it's internal and external enemies builds character that lasts a lifetime.

I won't stand here and paint a pretty picture, some of it is miserable as hell and some of the people you meet are complete POS, but when all is said and done, I still love what I do for Uncle Sam.  If you leave the conus, you will understand why we live in the greatest place on earth, in spite of the democrats.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 8:24:46 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm sorry you made that choice but good luck on it.  Hope it's everything you hope it will be.

Well, I've wanted to do it my entire life, and while my parents don't want me to because "They have so much invested in me" I'de rather make my own path to manhood, rather than ride on my fathers thunder.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 8:30:08 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
I wouldn't trade my .mil days for anything in the world.  

Same here.  Pave your own way. Only you control your destiny.  You will probably regret not joining for the rest of your life if you don't do it now. One of my better friends never joined up, he is very self concious about it whenever he is around and the proir service guys start telling stories.

Link Posted: 12/19/2005 9:59:57 AM EDT
[#27]
I ended up comprimising with my parents and told them I would finish college and enlist then. About another year I should be going to boot.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 10:08:37 AM EDT
[#28]
SDA I found this on the Active's List.  I hope I'm not out of bounds posting here.  I think its awesome you want to join.  From a parents point of view I can understand their turbulation.  No one wants their son or daughter to go to war.  However I would support your desire to defend our Nation and world freedom.

Patty
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 3:46:51 PM EDT
[#29]
What kinda shit you wanna do in the military?  If you wanna go infantry, do whatever you can to go the way or ranger, recon, etc.  Much better than being a regular grunt.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 5:27:12 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
What kinda shit you wanna do in the military?  If you wanna go infantry, do whatever you can to go the way or ranger, recon, etc.  Much better than being a regular grunt.

Combat Medic.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 5:33:19 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
I wouldn't trade my .mil days for anything in the world.  

+1

My son is waiting to take his physical right now to be a Coastie.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 5:39:38 PM EDT
[#32]
Sirdrinksalot Uh I don't think the corp has medics you need to go to the navy for that one.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 5:41:49 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Sirdrinksalot Uh I don't think the corp has medics you need to go to the navy for that one.

Yeah...about the corps...

So I talked to this recruiter right...
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 5:57:50 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Do you want to find out who you really are?

Couldn't have said it better.
Your dad will repect this move and you can go to sleep for the rest of your life  knowing you are part of the reason that Americans  have the freedom they enjoy. Can't take that away.
J. USAF 728th TCS '87-'91
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 6:58:48 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well, I've wanted to do it my entire life, and while my parents don't want me to because "They have so much invested in me" I'de rather make my own path to manhood, rather than ride on my fathers thunder.

Listen to your father... he's wise beyond your years

Go to college... if you still feel the need to join while there.... go ROTC and enter the military as an officer. At least you won't be the lowest man on the totem pole if you do it that way.... and you will be given the opportunity to lead.

ETA: there will still be plenty of terrorists to kill after you graduate from college.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 7:55:27 PM EDT
[#36]
My wife has an illness that costs over $10,000 a year and so far I only pay $12 here and there plus $460 a year to keep my Tricare Prime going.  Thank God I joined up and stayed.

My Uncle told me he always regretted not serving his country in the military even though he had a medical condition that kept him out!  GO FOR IT!  MV out!
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 8:51:59 PM EDT
[#37]
Go for it.... I am sitting here at a small FOB with piss tubes, burn out shitters, its getting really cold and the heat sometimes works, the chow sucks, there is no PX, the mail is slow as hell getting all the way out here, we had to spend $2000 to get an internet satellite to get online, I've had rockets and motors shot at me, driven right over IED's, walked in minefields, froze my ass off at even more remote bases where we sleep outside............

..............and if they offered me a chance to go home today I would slap them silly.

I have been here through Afghanstans first provincial elections, helping to secure them, just yesterday the first  meeting of the new Afghan parliment took place. I sometimes help train the Afghan National Army, who are coming along quite well. I have never been so close to a bunch of guys or served with a finer group, and can look back at my time here and truely say that I was here and we made things happen. You can't really decsribe the feeling, other than I know this is where I was meant to be. I know if I was home for this whole year life would be easy, but here I am doing something I can look back on with pride for the rest of my life..... what else can you do where you can say that?

I can stay in the USAR another 31 years until my mandatory removal date, and intent to stay in exactly that long. When my country needs me, off I will go, when they do not I will be back living my normal life. I joined at 17, and will leave at 62 and do not regret any second of it.

Look at the NG/USAR. You will still deploy, and can switch to active duty easier than ever now should you decide to.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 3:04:09 AM EDT
[#38]
Like I said, SDA, if you don't, one day, when you're too old to do anything about it, you'll wonder, "What if..."

I served, but I have other "What ifs" in my life.

Trust me, it's better to know than to wonder.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 1:04:00 PM EDT
[#39]
Well, you won't ever get past the day to day b.s.  But then again, where would you not have to put up with it?  At least here you can find yourself doing things you never imagined you'd do growing up.  You will learn about yourself, and about true human nature.  Here you will create lifetime friendships with some of the finest human beings you will ever meet.  And when you are finished here, you will be proud of yourself and your accomplishments for the rest of your life.  I could go on about all my great (and many surreal) experiences, but the fact is, you really won't get it until you are doing it.  Now, you don't want sugar coating and that's good, because you generally won't get it here.  No matter what level you reach, or what unit you're in, there will always be b.s. to deal with (usually comes from the top down) and there will always be people that you want to choke the life out of.  There will always be a conspicuous lack of common sense at echelons above yours.  And you will face some extremely difficult times, although looking back you will feel better about yourself (and even laugh) for having made it through.  
There are alternatives out there that can help lessen the b.s. factor in the long run though--
1.  ROTC.  Get your degree paid for, and then become the PL that joe looks up to.  As an officer, you can have a big influence on the b.s. level.
2.  You mentioned combat medic as a possible MOS.  Why not look into the Army's 18X program?  If you get picked up and pass, you can request to be trained 18D.  Highly challenging, but highly rewarding.  Pass all that and you find yourself in the land of the Big Boy Rules.  Yes, there will be stupidity to deal with, but nowhere close to what you'd deal with as a line company medic.

Now that I have bored everyone to tears, here is the bottom line.  You must do what is right for you.  You can have people talk to you about pros and cons until your ears bleed, but the decision must be yours, and if you're going to do it, don't do it half-ass.  As for me, the ten years I have in (and counting) have been the most challenging and rewarding of my life.

Good luck with whatever road you choose.
De Opresso Liber
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 7:16:16 PM EDT
[#40]
And to all the civilians that have "We Support The Troops" bumber stickers, I am one of the troops and "Your Welcome".

Truth is, I'd do this job for free if they'd let me keep the toys.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 1:43:01 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
And to all the civilians that have "We Support The Troops" bumber stickers, I am one of the troops and "Your Welcome".

Truth is, I'd do this job for free if they'd let me keep the toys and didnt have to deal with the bullshit  

Amen brotha!
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 2:55:25 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
Well, you won't ever get past the day to day b.s.  But then again, where would you not have to put up with it?  

That checks.

One of my younger brothers was lacking direction after dropping out of high school and getting his GED.

I suggested doing an enlistment in the military for a number of reasons.

He replied, "I thought about going in, but I don't like people telling me what to do."

Guess what he's had in every job he's held?   Yep.    A boss.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 2:23:33 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
become a civilian security contractor,  same chance to get blown up,  better paycheck, less BS hippie.gif

+1

But you need the military experience, so he is back at square 1.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 6:05:10 PM EDT
[#44]
You will always meet a few people that hated their time in the .Mil. You'll hear things like," My 1SG didn't like me, " or " I got screwed by ......". Truth is, most of these folks were sub-standard Soldiers and probably got themselves in trouble.
But deep down, even those guys miss it sometimes.

I've been in the Army and the Corps, don't regret a second of it. Best 10 years of my life so far. They'll have to drag me out kicking and screaming to my own retirement party.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 5:52:56 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 10:07:46 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
Do it, for all of the reasons listed above. I joined the Reserves first because of family pressure to go to college, I should have gone active right out of high school....

We are at war. Duty, honor, and country are calling. Just don;t let the recruiter give you anyhting less than what you want.

Look into Army medic with Ranger option or the aforementioned 18X.

Or you could join the Navy and be a SARC.  The only problem with that though is that you'd be in the Navy.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 10:46:19 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Or you could join the Navy and be a SARC.  The only problem with that though is that you'd be in the Navy.

My only reason for not going into that.

No offense to you Navy guys, but not for me. I don't dig boats .

Besides my pops was a Medic in the Army, Might as well start a little lineage
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top