Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/13/2005 7:03:20 AM EDT
I was just contacted by an organization called the U.S. Army Wounded Warrior Program (AW2). They were previously called the Disabled Soldier Support System.

They have been contacting me from time to time to see if I needed any information or help with benefits or whatever else related to my service connected injury. They seem like a pretty stand up group. They're not a VFW, American Legion, DAV type organization. They don't hold meetings or have a bar with cheap beer or anything like that.

Anyway, to the point. I just got off the phone with a gentleman who explained to me that an organization known as Salute America's Heroes wants to give a gift check of $500.00 to veterans of the Global War on Terrorism. I'm not sure to what extent they are doing this, though I assume since I was contacted by AW2 that the recipients must have some sort of service connected disability.

The gentleman I spoke with gave me an authorization code that needs to be inputted on this page.

He further explained to me that there are no strings attached. The money need not be repaid, nothing has to be bought, or anything else like that. It's simply a tax-free gift from an organization to say "Thank you for your sacrifice".

I just filled out the form (far be it from me to turn down a gift like this). I'll keep you posted on whether or not I receive the gift card.

While you're waiting, though, you may want to give AW2 a call or drop them an e-mail to see if they have you in their system and if you might also be "qualified" for the same gift. I know there are a lot of OEF/OIF/GWoT veterans floating around on here, and I'm pretty sure some of them have come home a little banged up, so I wanted to put this out to you guys. Obviously, this isn't something they're going to put on the 6 o'clock news, so the word probably doesn't get around to everyone who might fit the bill.

AW2
Contact the DS3 at 1-800-833-6622
(8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. EST, Monday through Friday). Army DS3 can also be contacted via e-mail at [email protected].

Link Posted: 12/13/2005 2:41:05 PM EDT
[#1]
btt for the guys getting off work.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 2:47:53 AM EDT
[#2]
btt for morning crew
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 7:33:39 AM EDT
[#3]
btt
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 1:34:49 PM EDT
[#4]
The "Salute Americas Heroes" web page is not secure and is asking for a lot of personal info.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 5:17:19 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
The "Salute Americas Heroes" web page is not secure and is asking for a lot of personal info.

I didn't put my social security number in. I did ***-**-last four. Figured that should be enough.

Everything else I did...

Did you get an authorization code?
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 6:43:16 PM EDT
[#6]
No, I did not go that far. I am in the reserves now and active during Desert Storm but have never been wounded.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 9:27:00 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
No, I did not go that far. I am in the reserves now and active during Desert Storm but have never been wounded.

I think you kind missed the point of it then...
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 9:35:54 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think you kind missed the point of it then...

I work for Tech Support for a school district, when I see unsecured website asking for SSN it makes me suspicious. Just looking out for vets is all.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 10:03:33 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I work for Tech Support for a school district, when I see unsecured website asking for SSN it makes me suspicious. Just looking out for vets is all.

Fair enough... our discussion hopefully will have helped anyone who gets on there.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 11:39:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Looks like it may be another scam. Hi, we're sending out free money just because. So give me your personal info. I see emails about these military scams come through all the time. If your still interested then do some reasearch on this company on the internet or contact the BBB. Also contact your network help desk on base and see if they have this one flagged yet.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 5:20:54 AM EDT
[#11]
did a whois search on the domain name the owner is the woman.
http://www.theaapc.org/content/aboutus/board/rebeccadonatelli.asp one of the addresses on it points to that VA location.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 12:54:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Got the "gift" check today. I was beginning to doubt it, what with my wife telling me I was probably getting scammed and blah blah blah...

Well, it's all good.

I guess there is goodwill on Earth... or at least in the US... some of the time. How's that for Christmas Spirit!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top